PDA

View Full Version : How Much is a Core Engine Worth?

54-61-62
07-01-2006, 04:19 PM
How much is a core full flow 289 worth with acessories (2bbl carb) that was running when pulled?

Thanks

Swifster
07-01-2006, 04:51 PM
I'll give you $25 for it...[:o)];)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com

dclewallen
07-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Where are you located?

Darryl C. Lewallen

55s
07-01-2006, 06:38 PM
I think this is a serious question, deserving of a serious answer. If an engine block is worth only $25 because thats all someone will pay for it at present, my sense is that there will be many motors scrapped because the metal is worth $50. Then, we will have a problem as a car club.

I am currently pondering the future of several motors, and frankly, at $25, it just isn't worth any time or effort in keeping them.

If this were ANY other motor, blocks would be worth at least $500.

We have been extremely lucky that prices haven't shot up like other makes, but scrapping is the beginning of a slippery slope, leading to mega prices and unavailable parts.

If only some members of our clubs weren't so darn CHEAP, and haggle the last cent of profit from a deal. (You know who you are!)

Paul R

DEEPNHOCK
07-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Where where where?!!!!
Scrap value, with the exception of the camshaft, crankshaft, and misc parts. Someone comes and picks them up? Future favors, or a few bucks each. You deliver? Few more bucks and gas and travel money.
You take the effort to part out, clean, identify, list on Ebay? Probably a hundred bucks each..or more.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 54-61-62

How much is a core full flow 289 worth with acessories (2bbl carb) that was running when pulled?

Thanks

Swifster
07-01-2006, 07:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by 55s

I think this is a serious question, deserving of a serious answer. If an engine block is worth only $25 because thats all someone will pay for it at present, my sense is that there will be many motors scrapped because the metal is worth $50. Then, we will have a problem as a car club.

I am currently pondering the future of several motors, and frankly, at $25, it just isn't worth any time or effort in keeping them.

We have been extremely lucky that prices haven't shot up like other makes, but scrapping is the beginning of a slippery slope, leading to mega prices and unavailable parts.

If only some members of our clubs weren't so darn CHEAP, and haggle the last cent of profit from a deal. (You know who you are!)

Paul R

Paul, it was a 50/50 answer. Yes, I was a bit tongue-in-cheek with my answer, but as Jeff mentioned, the world, with the exception of the Studebaker world, isn't jumping on these left and right.

While the engine may have run when the engine was pulled, this is no guarantee that there's nothing wrong with it. Would it be worth more than $25 to me? Yes. Would I pay $500 for it? No. If it's a reasonable drive from the Southeast, I might even be interested. I'd like what he has if the price is right.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

GTtim
07-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Two years ago I paid $250 for a good engine core that I drove an hour to get. Recently the same guy sold a complete engine (carburator and all the manifolds and brackets) for I think $400. I've found that one of the important things with storing engines is to keep them upright. As time goes by the head gaskets will corrode through which allows water into the cylinders if they are laying on their side. Keep them upright please. My block had to be bored .060 over and it still didn't quite get all the rust out of one cylinder and it was a 'good running engine' when it was taken out of the car.

Tim K.
'64 R2 GT Hawk

Dick Steinkamp
07-01-2006, 08:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by 55s

Paul R

I don't think I could get $50 for a scrap engine where I am, but prices can vary I guess. I would think a 289 would be 500 pounds or so. Are there really local scrap dealers buying at $200/ton?

If YOU are buying any and all non Studebaker blocks at $500 (or even half that), let me know where you are and I'm on the way :D. I personally know of no V8 blocks worth that much...except very rare ones like maybe a 60's hemi.

With the exception of correct date coded Corvette blocks and some 4 bolt main 350 blocks, $50-75 for a rebuildable core is the going price for a SBC around here...same with most other common V8's. Studes bring the same or less and you'd probably have a tougher time finding a buyer for the Stude than a Chevy.

It's a supply and demand thing...and nothing more.

I just bought a Champion 6 for $10. That's what the seller wanted for it (for over a year). I have no need for it, but it was just to cute and too cheap to pass up.[8D]

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Guido
07-01-2006, 09:04 PM
I gave $40 for a 185 Champ that was said to run along with two boxes of parts at York. Though I have no immediate need for it, it was too good a deal to pass up.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
1962 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser
And various other "treasures"

mbstude
07-01-2006, 09:18 PM
We had a guy bring us a good(?) running and totally complete 170 OHV six with two 3 speed, non OD trannies with it for free. He was driving the car when he pulled it to install a Che*y 350. The car is a very rusty 64 Challenger two door.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
South Georgia Chapter Newsletter Editor
63 Daytona HT (project)
51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g>)
MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
Click my name and check out "Links".

Roscomacaw
07-01-2006, 09:44 PM
I went to a shop liquidation sale today. Man, what a place for a "junkie" like me![:p] Mr. Rice would have gone nuts there! Old, OLD machine shop business where the old fella (who's now departed) did damned near EVERYTHING himself. Gawd! The old lathes, milling machines, balancers, etc., etc., etc., on and on..... and boxes and BOXES of tooling and whatnot to go with it all.
But what was more astonishing was the fella liquidating it all was selling it for a tiny fraction of what simple scrap value would be!
I turned down a pallet-load of various bar stock stuff for 10 bucks. I spent 50 on tools and stuff and had to literally MAKE myself leave before I did something stupid (again)! BTW, there wasn't a "made in China" pabel in the whole place.;)

A core full-flow V8? Unknown condition - gotta be worth a hundred bucks - at least. [:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

PackardV8
07-01-2006, 09:47 PM
I'll pay $250 all day long for complete, guaranteed good core 1963-64 289" full-flow 4-bbl engines. Bring 'em to Spokane - the line forms to the right.

The way it usually goes, somebody calls and swears it is out of a '63 Hawk. I drive a long way to pick it up and it is so covered with crud it is a major task to find the serial number. Turns out to be a 2bbl early 259" missing all the accessories.

Another guy has a core 289" engine - if it isn't in a car, there was usually a reason - pull the pan, one pair of rod journals are black. A 289" crank is worth checking, but of course, but after I pull it and magnaflux, it is cracked.

Bottom line, there aren't that many good core 289" full-flow engines out there. If you have one for sale, e-mail me.

PackardV8

JDP
07-01-2006, 10:13 PM
I get at least $400 or more for a carb to pan 289 full flow. More like $1000 if it's a real nice motor and AT.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
Studebaker News Group
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
64 Daytona HT
64 Daytona Convert.
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 R1 GT Hawk
63 Avanti R1/AC
63 Avanti R2/4 speed
62 Daytona HT
62 Lark 2 door
60 Hawk

Guido
07-01-2006, 10:41 PM
On the way home from the National ATHS show in Baltimore I stopped in Northern Va. and picked up a free 170 OHV engine and FOM transmission that still had all the front end assembly under it. Was only missing the carb, but turns out the motor is stuck. Had to stop for food anyway, why not get a free motor?

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser

stude freak
07-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Theres not any stude v-8s around here that i know of.But i got a 67 327 300 hp complete engine minus carb on a engine stand i been offered 400 dollars for .I turned it down. Was that where two fools met? It was a running engine i pulled from a barn find 67 pickup with 23,000 miles.The boy that owned the truck wanted a chromed out crate 350 instead.So iknocked off 200 bux n keep the motor.

stude freak
07-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Oh my gosh studebob,I wish i culd find something like that here . I would like to have the lathes n milling machines.Wasnt an old english wheel there was they? please say no ,lol

PackardV8
07-02-2006, 12:45 AM
You know the market, JDP. You also know how difficult good 289s are to find. Studebaker installed far more 259s than 289s, even though they cost exactly the same to manufacture. A good number of GT Hawks and even a couple of Avanti I have looked at purchasing have turned out to have 259s slipped in for cheap or lack of knowing any difference.

Notice - Champion owners, do not read past this point!

OK, you were warned! Getting a bit off topic, but still thinking about the 289, I cannot understand why the 259 and the Champion 6-cyl even continued to exist after 1956. I've owned enough of each to know they were not really more economical to operate than a 289 in the same car driven at the same speeds. To document this, go back to the Mobilgas Economy runs of the 1950s and the V8 often got the same or better mileage than the 6-cylinder. This was because on the hills that buzzing little anvil had to run its guts out to maintain the required average MPH.

The reason the 289 is in such demand these days is the cars it powers are economical when driven that way and powerful when power is needed. The 6-cylinder is only economical. When power is needed it can only deliver noise, frustration and shorten its own life in the process. My rant for the evening - good night, all.

PackardV8

r1lark
07-02-2006, 08:29 AM
I paid $75 for a 259 engine about 18 months ago, and had to drive about 2 hours each way to get it. Was pulled out of a '63 1/2 ton truck that was a everyday driver until it was wrecked. Mainly, I wanted the big chamber truck heads.

Now, as far as Champion 6-cyl engines that few seem to want: If anyone has rebuildable 185 ci flatheads, and OHV sixes, in the NC, VA, SC area that they don't want, please let me know. I have decided to try building a big inch OHV six.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html

Swifster
07-02-2006, 08:30 AM
It wouldn't be surprising at all if the 289 got better mileage. But there would be other things that would effect that too. Gearing, transmission selection, etc. My Daytona came will a 289-2V, 4-spd, and 3.07 rear gears. I'm sure the mileage was pretty reasonable. Put an automatic in that car, and a set of 3.73's and I'm sure the mileage would be less than stellar.

In any car, a smaller engine will have to work harder to get a car moving compared to a larger one. My '01 Ranger (3800 lbs.) has a 3.0L V-6. A friend of mine with almost the exact same truck had the 4.0L and he got 2 MPG's better than I did on a regular basis. I contribute this to two things (we both have the 5-spd auto).
* My truck has 3.73 rear gears and his has 3.55's
* That 4.0L doesn't have to work as hard as my 3.0L

As most 6 cylinder cars had anything from 3.54's and lower (up to 4.27's?), that little engine will be turning a lot of RPM's. Put a 3.07 in that car with that engine and the mileage will dramatically improve. Of course off the line performance will suffer too.

Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

StudHawk60
07-02-2006, 08:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I went to a shop liquidation sale today. Man, what a place for a "junkie" like me![:p] Mr. Rice would have gone nuts there! Old, OLD machine shop business where the old fella (who's now departed) did damned near EVERYTHING himself. Gawd! The old lathes, milling machines, balancers, etc., etc., etc., on and on..... and boxes and BOXES of tooling and whatnot to go with it all.
But what was more astonishing was the fella liquidating it all was selling it for a tiny fraction of what simple scrap value would be!
I turned down a pallet-load of various bar stock stuff for 10 bucks. I spent 50 on tools and stuff and had to literally MAKE myself leave before I did something stupid (again)! BTW, there wasn't a "made in China" pabel in the whole place.;)

A core full-flow V8? Unknown condition - gotta be worth a hundred bucks - at least. [:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

They weren't South Bend Lathes by any chance were they?;)

Guido
07-02-2006, 08:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by r1lark

Now, as far as Champion 6-cyl engines that few seem to want: If anyone has rebuildable 185 ci flatheads, and OHV sixes, in the NC, VA, SC area that they don't want, please let me know. I have decided to try building a big inch OHV six.

Paul,

The 185 I mentioned is here in Richmond. I have disposed of the started and generator, but will make you a good deal. I think I also have a couple of other cores in a shed at my mother's in Charlottesville. Just let me know.

Gary

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser

PackardV8
07-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Continued caution to Champ owners/lovers - the following is not approved for general consumption!

The key words are "in the same car, driven the same way at the same speeds." The laws of physics say it takes a given amount of energy to accelerate a given mass at a given rate. A Champ with a 3.07 gear won't accelerate, period. It can't be driven at the same rate as a V8. The reason those boat anchors came with 4.56 gears in the OD transmission version is it took that much multiplication to get a 3600# car moving, and that was with no passenger. Put in four people and luggage and they'd better stay in Indiana where it is flat.

Bottom line, gears only move the lack of power/torque problem in one direction or another. If acceleration is wanted, lower gears (4.27 or 4.56) will help, at the tradeoff of higher rpms, lower fuel mileage and greater wear at highway speeds. If lower rpm and better cruising economy is wanted, higher gears (3.31, 3.54) will do that, but at a much slower rate of acceleration. This is the main advantage and the main reason for the development of overdrive transmissions. Many Champs came with 4.56 gears and the OD gave the equivalent of a 3.31 on the flat stretches.

Today's high-end 5, 6 and 7-speed automatics combine the best of all worlds, lots of low, intermediate and high gear ratios, but there is always the tradeoff. They weigh 200-250# and cost more than the whole Champ car did new.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8

Mike Sal
07-02-2006, 05:42 PM
To get back to the original question of what a core engine is worth, I believe the evidence presented in all of the replies renders the same response as talk about realestate. Location, location, location. If you have a fair number of studebaker people in your area, then the engine will have more value. If you live in the sticks where you're the only guy in the county that has studebakers, the value goes down, because time and gasolene have to be expended in order to shop for your engine. I've seen guys junk engines around here because no one would come get them.

I have several stude parts as well as AMC parts, but since there are virtually no other stude or AMC guys in my area, no one is beating a path to get to them (not that I'm trying to sell anything, but you get the drift).

If you are willing to a slight warranty on the engine (as in "it didn't smoke or knock when I pulled it"), around here (southern Illinois) it should be worth 200 to 300. More if you know the history or have documentation it was rebuilt.
Just my $.02 worth,
Mike Sal

PackardV8
07-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Hi, MikeSal,

You are right on when you say location is everything. Stude 289 V8s are not as easy to find up in the northwest as they are in southern Illinois, so they are worth at least $250-300 for a core and $500-600 for a running engine.

You mentioned your other perversion is AMC. We had a good-running AMC 401 which a customer wanted pulled from a Jeep to install a SBC 350 - go figure. At the time a Car Craft feature article was telling the world AMC 401s were gold and a bare block was worth $1000, we couldn't get diddly for a complete, running engine up here. Finally sold it for $250 because we needed the space.

Your comment about 'slight warranty' is a good point also. I looked at a 289 which a next-town-over club member had. "Yeah, it was running good when pulled. Did you pull it yourself? No, I bought it from Fred. Turns out Fred bought it from Joe, who traded some stuff with Al. The trail went underground because Al was dead and his widow couldn't remember where he got it. This engine had passed from hand-to-hand for nearly 20 years and developed a reputation as good enough to install as is and none of them knew anything first hand.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8

Mike Sal
07-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Yes, I have a weakness for all orphan brand vehicles. Although, I just sold my last J10 Jeep truck (replaced it with a 10 year old Dodge & now I feel invisible), I still have a Jeep wagoneer. I also have a '54 kaiser & a '55 hudson. The only non-orphan I have is a '26 model T. I would like to find another AMC matador coupe, but I've got too many cars (5 studes).

Yes, that 401 engine would be a hot commodity in the PNW, or colorado, but everywhere else, the demand isn't there. Same with Stude stuff.

Mike Sal

stude_s
07-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Location, location, location.

I looked for over a year here in CO for a running or builder Stude V* engine only to end up dropping in a f**d V8 after finally giving up.

60 Lark hardtop
59 Lark harttop
56 Golden Hawk
59 Silver Hawk
62 GT Hawk
56 President

Dick Steinkamp
07-04-2006, 11:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by stude_s

Location, location, location.

This one was brought to our attention in another thread by Richard...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&item=300001961789&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

A 259 core WITH a T10 for $112. Location and timing are the key. If you are a seller and happen to find someone locally who really really needs a Stude V8 right now, you can probably get more than scrap value for it. If not, you will have a hard time giving it away. Folks like JP who are dealers with a good reputation and who live where there are a lot of people (hence a lot of Stude owners) have a better chance of getting a fair price for one than someone in Montana with no Stude network connections or selling history.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

PackardV8
07-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Studebaker V8s are always out there and available; just takes widening the search. Recently, I shipped a '64 289 4-bbl and four speed from Alabama to Washington. We won't make much money on the final product, but this combination is worth the effort.

For those still looking for Stude V8s - a wanted post on this site and on RacingStudebakers! will get you a plethora of offers from which to choose. You can order up a take-out, a re-ring, a quality rebuild or a high-performance build up, just for asking the man who owns one. Ebay averages about one Stude V8 a week listed for sale. They are often unknown quantities and buyer feedback is a good indicator, but not a guarantee. Ask lots of questions before shipping 700# of iron across long distances.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8