This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Woody's???

Does any one know if Studebaker ever made a Woody Wagon???
    Also I have come across some dash and window trim that goes to some type of woody and was wondering if anyone out there knows of a good forum I can go to to get these piece ID'd. I would like to get them to a good home. They are excellent pieces in great condition. Thanks.

No mass production Woodies that I have read about. But there were a few one-offs. Wasn't the Stude Museum doing a resto of one only a few years ago?

Dan
    52 hardtop

Comment

There isn't an easy YES or NO to this question. Studebaker made one prototype woody wagon that was not sold to the public and is now being restored by the SNM. Studebaker sold many woody wagons, but technically, they were not made by Studebaker. Like many companies, Studebaker had outside body builders, such as Cantrell, build the wood wagon bodies on a Studebaker chassis. These woody wagons were/are still considered to be Studebakers. The answer is complex because you asked "if Studebaker ever made a Woody Wagon," not if there is such a thing as a Studebaker woody wagon.

Keep in mind that many older models used wood "dash and window trim, not just woody wagons.

Richard Quinn or someone from Schwab/Mike Margerum would be good to answer your query.

Gary L.
      1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
      1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

According to several sources, all the conversions were done on truck chassis. Richard Langworth's book has a picture of a beautiful wagon done by Mifflinburg on an M5 cowl-and-chassis. Even uses the truck bed rear fenders!

---------------------------
        Clark in San Diego:

Proud new owner of a '63 Lark!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Of course the horse drawn wagons were always wood, as far as I know.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Last year I did an article on woodies in the Studegram, bi-monthly newsletter of the Ocean Bay Chapter, which I edit. I put the article in a PDF file on line (1 MB) here:

I believe that Studebaker also produced some "depot hacks" with wood bodies in the 'teens and '20s.

The Studegram is now published in full color, 16 pages every other month. You can subscribe for $25/yr and get a chapter membership along with it. Each issue has lots of pictures and stories about Studebaker cars, trucks, and people. While Ocean Bay serves Massachusetts and Rhode Island, we have a number of out-of-state members. Email me if you want to join or go to http://www.oceanbaychapter.com

Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, MA
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Found a couple of nice views at the bottom of this page:

---------------------------
              Clark in San Diego:

Proud new owner of a '63 Lark!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
              X