This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Engine

I have recently acquired a valve in block inline 6 engine. It's a small 6 and has been installed in a 1947 CJ2A Willys. I believe it might be a Studebaker engine. There isn't any mfg. name on it. The following number is cast on the head 529278, there is also a number cast on the block 5248077. There is also a number stamped on the block that I believe maybe the serial number 731057. I'm hoping someone can help me identify this engine.

Someone can maybe identify from those casting numbers, but that STAMPED number would be consistent with a 170cu.in. 6 out of a 1950 Champion.

That number should be stamped into a small, machined area at the front, top corner of the block - drivers side. Right below where the head and block mate.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thank you. That's exactly where that number is located. Do you know where I might find the specs and any other info on that engine?

Comment

What do you want to know about it? If it's the availability of parts, there's a WEALTH of parts available for it. That engine debuted in 1939 and served (with some variation - but still in flathead form) thru 1960. Then for '61, they reworked that engine to make it an OHV unit - much like AMC did with their flathead 196.
        Bore is 3" stroke is 4". HP is something in the 90+ range with it's single BBL carb. There's lots of speed equipment available if you wanted to "pump it up" a bit![]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs: You have answered my questions and I really appreciate it. I did find the specs. Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

Guy,
            You've stumbled onto a large cadre of miscreants here. Welcome to our forum and hope you continue to join us.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guyelliott

Mr. Biggs: You have answered my questions and I really appreciate it. I did find the specs. Thanks again for all your help.
              Guy,

I might add that the Champion six was a popular swap into CJs and also military Jeeps back in the early '50s. The Jeep T90 transmission will bolt right up to the back plane of a Champion bellhousing.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:I might add that the Champion six was a popular swap into CJs and also military Jeeps back in the early '50s. The Jeep T90 transmission will bolt right up to the back plane of a Champion bellhousing.
                I've heard that too. There's an old Jeep station wagon around here with a Stude OHV six engine.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
                South Georgia Chapter Newsletter Editor
                63 Daytona HT (project)
                51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
                52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g&gt
                MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
                Click my name and check out "Links".

Comment

I have a 1963 OHV 170 Studebaker in my CJ-3A. Last year I rebuilt it and this year I'm hunting for power improvements(different carbs..etc..) I have found rebuilding the motor was rather expensive, some of the parts can be a little high. I did all the work myself, except for the machine work. I needed to bore over .060, all new valves, all new valve seats, new cam, new lifters, and then the basic overhaul stuff. I got close to $1800.00 in just parts and machine work. I could have probably went with something more modern, for the same price and had considerable more horsepower, but I have enjoyed working on these old engines and the people on this site are very informative. Not to mention if I see one more jeep with a Chevy 350 in it I may puke.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rwirtzfeld1
                    if I see one more jeep with a Chevy 350 in it I may puke.
                    ...yep, just way too inexpensive, easy to install and powerful [}] [^]

Actually, a Stude V8 would have been a good alternative for you. They were also very popular in the 50's and 60's as a replacement engine in various Willys products. You probably would have come in well under the money you have in your 6 rebuild plus the speed equipment for the 6 and still had something "different".

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                    X