This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie's plight

Every now and then I get a phone call from a Studebaker owner that is restoring a car in a "vacuum". They aren't in the club, don't use the Net, they are on their own. Just had one such phone call and it was painful to listen to the guy. He is restoring a 48 4 door, just spent a bundle getting the rusty frame acid dipped and Rhino coated, the car is in a 1000 pieces and he's has to be 10K in already before chrome, interior and paint work. He paying through the nose to get things like a master cylinder sleeved when a NOS one is $50. He's never seen another 48 4 door, so he assumes he'll be fine after he's 20K or more into the car.<g>

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
    64 Daytona Convert.
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 R1 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Avanti R2/4 speed
    62 Daytona HT
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Hawk

Hope you didn't scorch him too bad and talked him in to parting with $27.50 to join the club.

I suppose there are some folks who won't join SDC because they've discovered the forum and can get everything they need right here.[V]

And, strange as it seems, there are Studebaker owners out there who have no idea SDC exists.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

He had a old issue of TW he got with the car, so I suggested he join up.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
      Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
      64 Daytona Convert.
      64 R2 4 speed Challenger
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
      63 R1 GT Hawk
      63 Avanti R1/AC
      63 Avanti R2/4 speed
      62 Daytona HT
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Hawk
      JDP Maryland

Comment

New members get a break!
        From this very site!

Regular Membership with Periodicals Class Mail:
        [u]</u>
        Regular Renewals/periodicals class: $27.50
        Student/Young Adult (up to age 22): $19.95

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Hope you didn't scorch him too bad and talked him in to parting with $27.50 to join the club.

I suppose there are some folks who won't join SDC because they've discovered the forum and can get everything they need right here.[V]

And, strange as it seems, there are Studebaker owners out there who have no idea SDC exists.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I've run across this once or twice thru the years. Man, you HATE to talk the truth with someone like this![xx(] I mean - who wants to be the bearer of REALLY bad news for someone like this???

Of course, this sorta uninformed approach keeps alot of project cars sitting in the weeds because their owners don't know ANYTHING about the old car world other'n that they ain't seen one a' them on the road in years! Consequently, that sucker (be it a clapped out Scotsman or a rust-eaten 2R5) has GOTTA be worth more money than one can imagine! This, when the sad truth is that the heirs to the estate will ultimately find out what the real value of scrap metal is some day.[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thank the Lord for the SDC, this forum and SASCO! Without them I'd think I was restoring an AMC!
            Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Screw the heirs Mr Biggs.. everyone has his/her own agenda on what they want. Case in point, My brother recently restored a 1967 rustang, after 20 years and approx 30,000. i saw it at a car show & said huh..It was ok but, there were 20 other Rustangs in the row..What it boils down to any studebaker owner is self satisfaction no matter what the cost. I'd rather be the only "bonehead" with a studebaker than one of the many with a rustang or corvette no matter what the cost. what it boils down to is the love, desire or want of a car tha no one or very few people have or appreciate and that car is, guilty as charged, a Studebaker.

Comment

Yeah, but don't it just give ya the giggles to find a good one, rust free, cheap?
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Heck, I got the giggles just today. Found out that my temp gauge wasn't working because the lead had come unclipped Any fix that doesn't require me to break out a wrench is a good one!

---------------------------
                  Clark in San Diego:

Proud new owner of a '63 Lark!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Yeah, but don't it just give ya the giggles to find a good one, rust free, cheap?

Speaking strictly from experience I can say...."Heckifino".

Proud dumper of:
                    The one and only 1963 BEND OVER POOP HAWK
                    And the 1966 Messtang!

Comment

Its like this neighbor Ive got. He dropped in one day and introduced himself, having seen my Studebakers in the yard. Told me he was just getting started on restoring a Power Hawk,that was in pretty rough shape and he was wondering where he could find parts for it. I asked him if he was a member of SDC. He said the what? I asked him if he ever checked E-Bay. He said, quite proudly I thought, "I don't have any interest in computers,wouldn't know how to turn one on"
                      I got directions to his house,and a few days later I dropped in with a few issues of TW to give him. He wasn't home,and was I glad! The car was just a shell,and a very poor one at that. Completely rusted out,no floor,rockers,not a decent fender or door,even the frame was rusted through. There was not a single piece of glass,and of course,no interior,not even seat springs. Also,there was no power train at all,save for the rear end. It looked as though someone had started to install something other than a Stude engine at some point,and had welded some crude engine mounts to the frame. The steering column looked like a Monte Carlo one,theres was a big ragged hole in the only solid piece of floor,the tranny tunnel,where someone had at some point put in a floor shift. The poor bugger told me he had paid 6k for the car,because it was such a rare model.I left the TW's in a grocery bag hanging off his door knob and fled.
                      Haven't talked to the guy since.

Comment

The internet is great. Mt wife got a call today from a fellow in PA who was in need of some motor mounts for a Champ truck. It seems that he had Googled "Studebaker" and "salvage" and I came up as a hit. Lots of Studebaker, but not much salvage (though my wife and neighbors may have a differing opinion).

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
                        1948 M-16 grain truck
                        1949 2R16A grain truck
                        1949 2R17A fire truck
                        1955 E-38 grain truck
                        1957 3E-40 flatbed
                        1961 6E-28 grain truck
                        1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
                        1962 Champ pickup
                        1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                        1964 Avanti R2 4 speed