PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel squeak

mike gaines
06-29-2006, 11:13 AM
Hi Guys , my 58 Silverhawk has a squeak coming from the rear wheels - brake drums , I have checked that the shoes are not dragging on the drums. the squeak is related to the wheel speed and dissapears on braking ? Also have installed BMW 5 serieas power steering and the car seems to wander as speed increases. someone has suggested a power regulator to stiffen the steeering as speed increases ? could it just be wheel alignment ? Maybe a smaller steering wheel ?

PackardV8
06-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi, Mike,

Because of Studebaker's farm wagon background, they specified negative caster to make the non-PS cars easier to park. When they got a few non-farmer customers who began driving cars on paved roads at higher speeds, this lack of caster caused high-speed wander in PS cars.

First, have you had an alignment by someone who has read the manual and knows how to do it the Stude way? Make sure they crank in all the positive caster your adjustment will allow. Some cars will barely make it to zero caster, but even that will help.

Second, Studebaker Service Bulletins added a hydraulic steering stabilizer for late Hawks with complaints of steering shimmy or wander. This will help a bit, also. Good luck with finding a kit today.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8

sbca96
06-29-2006, 12:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by PackardV8
Second, Studebaker Service Bulletins added a hydraulic steering stabilizer for late Hawks with complaints of steering shimmy or wander. This will help a bit, also. Good luck with finding a kit today.

I have one of these, well, I have the brackets on the car, but the
arm is long gone. I installed it on a manual steering car to help to
solve a wander problem that I dont remember how I solved now. It came
off a 63 GT Hawk. How did you install a BMW PS setup, and what parts
did you add??

Tom

Roscomacaw
06-29-2006, 09:14 PM
You say: "Rear wheels - brake drums" implying that both sides are involved. Or is it that you just don't know which side it's coming from?
I'd have someone else listen or drive while you listen from the back seat and see where it emanates from. That narrows it down a bit.
Then I'd check to see if I could detect where the backing plate might be slightly contacting the drum. This could explain the squeak's disappearance as the brakes are applied.

As to the wandering, while I've never had first-hand experience subbing some other brand's steering components, I do know that improper installing of rack & pinion units can cause bump steer woes on a Stude car. [B)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

55s
06-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Usual sources of rear squeaking are hubcaps and loose hardware inside drum (spring or clips fallen off?)

For wandering, radil tires are much beter than bias ply - you did't mention what you were running.

Paul R

gordr
06-30-2006, 06:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by mike gaines

Hi Guys , my 58 Silverhawk has a squeak coming from the rear wheels - brake drums , I have checked that the shoes are not dragging on the drums. the squeak is related to the wheel speed and dissapears on braking ? Also have installed BMW 5 serieas power steering and the car seems to wander as speed increases. someone has suggested a power regulator to stiffen the steeering as speed increases ? could it just be wheel alignment ? Maybe a smaller steering wheel ?

Doggone!

I had composed a nice detailed reply, only to lose it because I was not properly logged into the site for some obscure reason.

My .02 worth:

check for cracked rims; look near the lug nuts and around the perimeter of the wheel mounting plane.

check for loose axle nuts; look for red powdery rust coating the washer beneath the castle nut.

check for bent axle; put rear axle on jackstands and run car slowly in gear and look for a wobbling rear wheel.

check for loose hubcaps/wheelcovers; remove same and see if squeak vanishes.

The first three can be dangerous! Please do check carefully.

I, too would like to see pics of your BMW steering install. Is yours a RHD car?

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands