PDA

View Full Version : transmission oil

terrymb
06-28-2006, 11:25 PM
I want to change the oil in the transmission for my 63 Lark 3speed w/o overdrive. I understand I should use SAE80 gear oil which I can't find. Is SAE40 motor oil a substitute? Or SAE80/95 which is readily available. Also, any ideas why I occasionally have a hard time shifting into 2nd. Seems if I fiddle with the lever a bit, I can get it in gear. This only happens once in awhile and I haven't noticed any pattern.
Thanks!
Terry

Roscomacaw
06-28-2006, 11:50 PM
You can use GL-5 or you could use a synthetic. I know Redline and Amsoil have synthetics that work. The 2nd shift problem sounds like linkage misadjustment and not tranny problems.
What shape are the engine mounts in? soggy or broken motor mounts can cause problems as they throw the shifrt linkages out of alignment[xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

blackhawk
06-29-2006, 02:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by terrymb

I want to change the oil in the transmission for my 63 Lark 3speed w/o overdrive.Terry - I have 3 Studebakers with 3-spd transmissions with overdrive. I have used AmsOil 75W90 synthetic gear oil in these for over 20 years without a problem. They shift well in the cold weather and the bearings last a long, long time.

Seems like whenever I had difficulty shifting (previous Stude, not my current ones), it was always 2nd gear. Maybe the synchronizing ring for 2nd wears out faster. A work around that helps is to pull the lever into high before putting it in 2nd. The synchro ring for high slows the spinning gears a bit allowing it to more easily shift into 2nd. Since yours is only occassionally balking, you probably only need to do this when you encounter the shifting problem. Like I said, this is just a work around. It will reduce your frustration level and help you get by until you fix the problem.

Dale

N8N
06-29-2006, 08:30 AM
I like Redline MT-90; it's GL-4 rated so it won't attack yellow metals and really does make for slicker shifting, and seems to extend the life of worn synchros. However my only experiences with it have been in VW's and T-10s, I have not tried it in a 3/OD, so I don't know if the OD section would still work properly. ISTR that the OD section requires a 40W mineral oil? check your shop manual, anyway...

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Eman
06-29-2006, 09:41 AM
I had almost the same shifting problem going into Reverse (Although my '51 is an automatic). I'd fiddle with the shift lever in Reverse, Stella would think about it, THEN start going backwards. Changing the rear motor (transmission) mounts solved the problem. Maybe it's the same for a 3-speed.

Boy, that was fun.[xx(]

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
www.bulletshots.net
www.bulletshots.net/blog
www.alabamastudes.com

Roscomacaw
06-29-2006, 09:22 PM
It's easier for the standard shift, Eric;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

06-29-2006, 09:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by terrymb

I want to change the oil in the transmission for my 63 Lark 3speed w/o overdrive. I understand I should use SAE80 gear oil which I can't find. Is SAE40 motor oil a substitute? Or SAE80/95 which is readily available. Also, any ideas why I occasionally have a hard time shifting into 2nd. Seems if I fiddle with the lever a bit, I can get it in gear. This only happens once in awhile and I haven't noticed any pattern.
Thanks!
Terry

I'm still dubious about using synthetics in overdrives. Everything I have read says to use only MINERAL oil. Don't use gear oil with additives or detergent motor oil. 40 weight NON-DETERGENT oil is an acceptable substitute for the 80 mineral gear oil. You can usually find either at farm stores such as Tractor Supply. My '64 Daytona Wagonaire which I have owned since new is overdrive equipped. Some years ago I added off-the-shelf 80-90 gear oil and shortly thereafter the overdrive quit working internally. I understand that the overdrive needs some friction to operate properly.

Paul Johnson
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine

Roscomacaw
06-29-2006, 10:23 PM
In my ignorance (OK, it's really laziness[xx(]) I've pumped GL-5 in the tranny, OD section and rear axle of this Transtar I flail with disrespect. It doesn't seem to care.
I've got a rebuilt 289 sitting on a stand out in the shop that's slated to go into this truck. I want to do it up right with a freshened T-85, since this one leaves it's GL-5 wherever I park it.
For now tho, I can't afford to put it down. Once this Provincial is roadworthy, the Transtar will get it's rehabbing.

I was bombing around town in it today and it occured to me how mindlessly I drive that truck. I rarely give thought to whether or not I need to use the clutch to shift it when it's under 30MPH. There's some subliminal conversation or cognizance of whether it's in or out of OD as I manuver around town.

I stopped at a plumbing supply and I didn't give it a thought that the Transtar could be a celebrity (although it's always reminding me). My mind was on the pipe I was in need of.
In checking out, the gal working the register had to comment on my "pretty truck". She wasn't even aware it was a Studebaker until I said so. That really wowed her (hey - she had to be about my age!;)). She mused as to how doubly special that must make it.
At another place I went, I parked in a lot with a dufus security guard. He said nothing as I exited the truck and went into the shopping area. But an hour later, when I returned to the truck, he hailed me. He said: "That's one cool truck. You wouldn't believe how many folks have stopped to look at it and comment since you parked it."
Honestly, I just drive this thing. It's all I HAVE do drive at the moment! It's transport from point A to point B. And yet, it causes smiles and memories wherever I happen to park it. :D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

rockne10
06-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Is anyone here starting to get the impression Bob likes Studebakers?:D

ROADRACELARK
06-29-2006, 11:12 PM
It's almost enough to make one a little misty;)
Dan

06-30-2006, 09:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Is anyone here starting to get the impression Bob likes Studebakers?:D

Hey. It IS one cool truck<G>.

Paul Johnson
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine

Dick Steinkamp
06-30-2006, 11:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by 53k
Hey. It IS one cool truck<G>.

The real wierd thing is that Bob actually looks GOOD in that truck. [8D]

(must be the truck :D)

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

tomnoller
06-30-2006, 11:52 PM
Don't know where I remember reading this...maybe in the Co-operator, but I've been using a GL-1 rated oil in all my Stude's 3-speed ODs with great results, and the 5 gallon bucket is easily ordered from NAPA. I use a pump with the long, clear hose since I have to crawl under.

DilloCrafter
07-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Today, I was at a Tractor Supply Co. store, and they have 2-gal containers of both the lubricants recommended in the Borg Warner overdrive manual:

1) 40w non-detergent motor oil (approx $16, the BW preference)
2) 90w straight mineral oil (approx $24, for hard conditions)

As someone in this forum pointed to in a similar thread months ago, here's a link to the page in that OD manual. The recommended oils are in the last paragraph:
http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/trans/Borg-Warner%20Overdrive/pages/Overdrive_Page_19_jpg.htm

And if you want the entire overdrive service manual OR instruction manual, in SEARCHABLE pdf format, I have made them available for download here:
http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/BorgWarnerOverdriveManuals.asp

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon

chocolate turkey
07-01-2006, 08:01 PM
I purchased a 5 gal bucket of Chevron SAE 90 gear oil with GL-1 rating from Dick's buddy here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. It's been in all my standard trans Studebakers for many years.

Brian

Brian K. Curtis

tomnoller
07-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Brian, where do you get 'Chocolate Turkey' from? Hungary? <G>
Come get that tranny!