This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinda stupid Q about South Bend

I have some time off work next month, and was seriously planning to check out the Museum. Uhhh, the only place in Indiana I've been is Gary in the early 90's... South Bend isn't like that, is it? I remember the car I was in almost getting stolen at a gas station while filling it up[:0] When I asked the one guy I work with who's from IN about this, his only response was, "why would you go there, the only thing in IN is the Indy 500..." also, is the museum relatively easy for a tourist like me to get to? I'd be driving from MN if that matters.

Hey Daan,

You have to remember that SB is starting to clean up the old
    Studebaker manufacturing areas, so some parts are kinda seedy
    and there is also the more modern areas, of course, just like
    most industrial cities of that area, that have been around for
    awhile. But the country side is just beautiful, like the Amish
    and Mennonite areas to the east.

If you go to the Studebaker National Museum Site: http://www.studebakermuseum.org/
    there is an info link on the right column that might provide
    the info in getting there.... From I understand it is not that
    far from the old location. Hope this helps....

Glen Brose
    53 Champion 2 dr Sedan

Comment

[u]NO</u> place is like Gary, IN. Ug.

South Bend is home to Notre Dame university and has some really nice areas.

BTW, 294 in Chicago is really messed up with construction. The Skyway is better, but you'll have to go downtown Chicago, plus drive through....Gary.

Dan
      52 hardtop

Comment

From the few times I've stayed in SB, I think you'll enjoy yourself.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Daan

I have some time off work next month, and was seriously planning to check out the Museum. Uhhh, the only place in Indiana I've been is Gary in the early 90's... South Bend isn't like that, is it? I remember the car I was in almost getting stolen at a gas station while filling it up[:0] When I asked the one guy I work with who's from IN about this, his only response was, "why would you go there, the only thing in IN is the Indy 500..." also, is the museum relatively easy for a tourist like me to get to? I'd be driving from MN if that matters.
          Having just come from South Bend three weeks ago I can assure you that it is NOT like Gary. As others have said, there are some seedy areas, but overall it is very nice. The new museum is well marked- watch for the Red Ball Studebaker signs. It is only a few blocks from the center of the downtown area and it is very close to the Studebaker mansion, Tippecanoe, which operates as a fine restaurant. The Museum is a world-class museum- don't miss it and catch dinner at Tippecanoe if you can work it in.

Paul Johnson
          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
          Museum R-4 engine
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

You'll be fine in South Bend...
            Sasco and the SNM are 'must do's.'
            But strongly consider a day trip over to see the ACD (Auburn/Cord/Deusenberg) museum in Auburn, Indiana...

And then walk next door and see the NATMUS museum.
            Automobile Museum in Auburn Indiana. Home of Futurliner #10, and more than 150 classic cars and trucks. A great venue for your event, wedding, or reception.

The ACD museum is stunning.
            Definitely worth the drive from South Bend..
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Daan

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yes and don't forget to take a trip out to the old proving grounds.....talk a walk through the big STUDEBAKER tree sign , its worth the trip out there
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
              X