This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 starlite

I am looking for pictures of the interior of a 51 H5 starlite coupe. Commander, State Model. Mine has been stripped completely and I need to know what should be there. Especially around the back seat area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Rob

While I know this is not a '51, the interior appointments will be almost exactly the same as this earlier Starlight Coupe. Look at the pics of the rear seat area.
    You can see the big armrests at each end of the rear seat. The tops of those armrests flip open to reveal a storage area. Those big holders were often referred to as "beer coolers" because you could do just that with them - put beer and ice in them![]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The hinges on the armrests are inboard and the storage area goes all the way to the floor. Each side will hold a case plus ice but you'll need to run a drain through the floor. If that's more beverage than you need, you can use one side for snacks. And Biggs is right[^]; my 51 Commander Starlight looks exactly like that with some buttons in the upholstery.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have the seats and beer coolers(the one one the left would be self draining) but none of the headliner (bows are there)or back panels. Door panels are there but the stainless is incorrect according to the parts manual. Package shelf is also gone. Is there some kind of a restoration manual that would show how it should be?
        Rob

Comment

Mine is a 51 HC-5 but I can't get my camera and computer to canoodle. Email me your address and I'll take some pictures using an antique format.
          Brad Johnson,
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

When my uncle was about 9 years into the restoration of his 51 Champion starlight coupe, he decided to hire out the interior. We had no idea of the flip up armrests. The interior guy found both sides full of liquor bottles! Years later, a drinkin' buddy of the original owner came by and asked if his bottles were still there... (of course, they weren't) BTW, I have original seats in great condition from a Starlight coupe with not so great armrests that I was going to use in my 52 HT. I can't say I'll sell em as of now, I'm slowly working out a deal to trade the car with all it's parts for another Lark. (Yep, a HT too!)

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
            South Georgia Chapter Newsletter Editor
            63 Daytona HT (project)
            51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
            52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g&gt
            MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
            Click my name and check out "Links".

Comment

The package shelf was just a piece of textured trimboard with a stitched hem and is available from several vendors, or could be easily made if you had a pattern, which you don't.

It sounds like the items you need are the headliner bows. 47 through 52 Starlights should be the same. Maybe someone here can help.
              Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The bows are still there and the seats have been reupholstered. I should contact some of the SDC vendors to find what they can do. I am in Idaho and there aren't a lot of these cars around this area to look at.
                Rob

Comment

Loga Enterprises can supply the package shelf and the side boards ready to be upholstered. Phantom Autoworks can supply both, with the sideboards already upholstered sans stainless trim.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                  X