PDA

View Full Version : New lamb in the flock...

gordr
06-26-2006, 01:52 AM
Got home last night about 1:OO A.M. after a long drive towing my new truck home from Pense, Saskatchewan, which is just a few miles this side of Regina.

It's a '46 M16-52, with the 226 Commander engine. It has a steel-sided box and hoist, as well.

I managed to get the darn thing on my 16 foot car trailer, which Biggs and Dick Steinkamp I know have seen. It fit with literally inches to spare. The trailer sat down real good on the springs. I boomed it down with 3 chains, and it never shifted, even when I had a scary sway episode near Medicine Hat, Alberta. I did most of the raod trip at about 45-50 mph.

I was up at the crack of noon this morning, and got the truck off the trailer very easily. It just rolled off. Loading involved some winching and pushing by a tractor.

Once I had on the ground again, I got under the hood, and tried to make it run. Battery was flat, but it had sat outside for 2 winters; not unexpected. I hooked up a booster battery, and primed it. It cranked over readily, but no fire happened. Seller had stated that there was something wrong with the electrical system, so I ran a clip lead to connect the coil direct to the hot side of the battery. Still no fire, so I popped off the distributor cap and gave the points the 2 step treatment with abrasive paper followed by clean cardboard. Upon replacing the distributor cap, I was able to get it to run briefly, but it wouldn't pump fuel.

A friend had arrive by this time, so I got him to blow into the fuel tank while I looked underneath. Fuel was spilling out around the filter bowl on the pump. The cork gasket had shrivelled up. I cut a new one and installed, and after a bit more priming, it started and ran. I can't get it to keep idling, but it runs off-idle OK. Both the carb and fuel pump should be serviced, and it could use a valve adjustment, too. Good oil pressure, though, and no knocks. I was able to drive to a parking space, and there it sits.

No pics at this time, because my #1 computer is sick. I get a "Disk Boot Failure" message whenever I try to boot from either of two hard drives. I could boot Windows XP from the bootable install CD, and then work within that drive OK, although some Windows feature were not available. The other disc, with Win98 on it, was DOA. So I took that drive out of #1 box, and stuck in in an old Pentium 3 box I have. It wouldn't boot there, either, so I used a Win98 recovery floppy to boot up, and ran Scandisk, which found and fixed a slew of errors. Drive still would not boot, so I reloaded Win 98 onto it, and got it working in the Pentium3 box. Could still run any of the applications I tried, and it did reboot OK without a boot disk.

Brought that drive back to #1 box, and it won't boot. I running a surface scan on it now, and it's gotten past all the used clusters without finding any faults.

Sorry to go so OT on this forum, but I'm hoping maybe one of our contributors has seen this sort of thing before, and will recognize a pattern. There a huge amount of talent in this pool.:D Anybody know if BIOS can catch a virus, or develop a flaw that can affect the boot sectors of any hard drives connected to it? Funny BOTH drives should croak at exactly the same time. Power surge, maybe?

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

sbca96
06-26-2006, 03:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by gordr
No pics at this time, because my #1 computer is sick. I get a "Disk Boot Failure" message whenever I try to boot from either of two hard drives. I could boot Windows XP from the bootable install CD, and then work within that drive OK, although some Windows feature were not available.

Its possible that you might have been able to recover with restarting
with "last known good boot". I used that once, saved my butt. It is
possible that you got a virus, or sometimes hijackers will try and
change things in your registry, and screw it up in the process. It
used to be that you only got hijackers from pr0no sites, but the No1
places to get them NOW is through online purchase/web stores.

Tom

gordr
06-26-2006, 09:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by sbca96

No pics at this time, because my #1 computer is sick. I get a "Disk Boot Failure" message whenever I try to boot from either of two hard drives. I could boot Windows XP from the bootable install CD, and then work within that drive OK, although some Windows feature were not available.

Its possible that you might have been able to recover with restarting
with "last known good boot". I used that once, saved my butt. It is
possible that you got a virus, or sometimes hijackers will try and
change things in your registry, and screw it up in the process. It
used to be that you only got hijackers from pr0no sites, but the No1
places to get them NOW is through online purchase/web stores.

Tom

Thanks, Tom.

I did try using Windows Restore, but it told me that restore points were unavailable. Scandisk did not find any surface errors on the drive with Win98 on it. Just did a reload of Win98, and got the same disk boot error when it tried to restart. FWIW, I installed another old drive with Win98 on it into this box, and IT shows a disk boot error, too, despite working OK in #2 computer. I'm leaning toward it being a BIOS problem, maybe a result of a power spike when I was running at rig power at the wellsite.

I'll take the computer into Calgary today. The IT guy at work can probably help, and there's a computer shop 2 blocks away. If need be, I'll buy a new motherboard and hard drive. Parts are pretty cheap, now. At least you CAN fix a desktop. If it were a laptop, it'd be a doorstop now.[}:)]

glen
06-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Geez Gord....I would say "Houston, we have a problem"...1st of all, on the easy side, check all power supply cords, make sure they are all good, do some interchanging with known good ones. It sounds like that your MS 98 crashed...and were able to bring it back to life on the other PC. MS 98 never was a good product, was out long enough only for MS 2000/ME to be introduced. While what you're saying about your M/S XP, it's very possible you got a "monster bug" or several, floating around inside, that's why you are only able to bring it back to life in "safe mode." Don't think the Bios is the culprit, in this case, more like a "hitch hiker". You did some good checking while running the utilities and found the errors. May also want to do a "defrag" of the HD to get all your files in nice even sections
that are not all hoping around.

Sounds like mulitple issues that only a "Witch Doctor" can remedy. Depending on the age of your equipment, the HD drives are always the weakest links next to an unstable OS.

Glen Brose
53 Champion 2 dr Sedan

stephenm
06-26-2006, 11:01 PM
next time buy a Mac! Talk about trouble free....and no viruses!
easier to understand too for those of us that didn't have computers in school.... just a thought!

sbca96
06-27-2006, 12:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by stephenm

next time buy a Mac! Talk about trouble free....and [u]no viruses</u>!

Not anymore! Mac just got their first virus, and now that the flood
gate are open ....[:0]

Tom

gordr
06-27-2006, 11:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by glen

Geez Gord....I would say "Houston, we have a problem"...1st of all, on the easy side, check all power supply cords, make sure they are all good, do some interchanging with known good ones. It sounds like that your MS 98 crashed...and were able to bring it back to life on the other PC. MS 98 never was a good product, was out long enough only for MS 2000/ME to be introduced. While what you're saying about your M/S XP, it's very possible you got a "monster bug" or several, floating around inside, that's why you are only able to bring it back to life in "safe mode." Don't think the Bios is the culprit, in this case, more like a "hitch hiker". You did some good checking while running the utilities and found the errors. May also want to do a "defrag" of the HD to get all your files in nice even sections
that are not all hoping around.

Sounds like mulitple issues that only a "Witch Doctor" can remedy. Depending on the age of your equipment, the HD drives are always the weakest links next to an unstable OS.

Glen Brose
53 Champion 2 dr Sedan

Gee, I have Win98 SE, and it has been pretty stable. My one venture with ME was a disaster from the git-go. And Mac is out of the question, since my work requires that I run several 3rd-part programs that are Windows-based.

Anyway, the problem is solved. For reasons that may never be known, the BIOS was scrambled. Dealer where I bought the components suggested that I reset the BIOS to defaults using a jumper on the motherboard. I had the machine set up at work, and I decided before taking that step, that I'd simply enter BIOS setup and hit the F5 key to do the same thing. Bingo! Problem solved. And I HAD been all through the boot sequence in Setup, and it appeared to be correct; it certainly had the drives identified OK, and showed the correct boot sequence. I'm wondering if maybe it was reporting one thing on the screen, and actually trying to do something else. I'd hesitated resetting it before, because it appeared to be in proper configuration. Go figure, eh.

Anyway, it's back in business; boots to the XP drive, and the Win98 drive is accessible, too.

Roscomacaw
06-27-2006, 11:30 AM
So gord - how goes that 64 that once graced my driveway?

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

sbca96
06-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Gee, I have Win98 SE, and it has been pretty stable. My one venture with ME was a disaster from the git-go.

I am running ME on both my home computers and its been pretty good,
though I did a clean install, and not an upgrade from 98. I skipped
98 all together, and went from 95 to ME.;)

Tom

glen
06-27-2006, 06:26 PM
I was only basing my experience with SBC Communications,
that when we were running 95 and 98 was announced to be
in pipeline....after a serve amount of testing it was decided
not to go to 98 as it wasn't much of an inprovement over 95
and by that time, testing had already started on Win 2000.
Win 2000 was seen as an improvement over the previous Win 95.
Which in turn, it became the corporate standard.
The by-line from MS now, I believe, is that they will no
longer be supporting either 95 or 98.

The experiences I had with 98 were only meant for a cheap
Saturday afternoon Horror picture. I guess we each have had
either good or bad experiences with that version.

Glen Brose
53 Champion 2 dr Sedan