PDA

View Full Version : Found a Carter carb... Jeff, can you help?

studeclunker
06-24-2006, 09:48 PM
I found a Carter carb in the local junk yard the other day. It's labeled:

MFG BY
CARTER
CARBURETOR
ST.LOUIS USA

0 2543

It also has a large cast 1 on the centre body. There are any number of vacumn attachments coming out of it. Some are plugged off and others are missing the aperture tube.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/carter/cartercarb.jpg

oops![:I] forgot to ask the question.
The tube coming out above the #12, what is it for? Is this compatible with my Larks?

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

showbizkid
06-25-2006, 12:14 AM
I know my way around Rochesters better than Carters, but isn't that the manifold vacuum port? Or maybe the PCV intake port. Lotta good I am [:I]

---------------------------
Clark in San Diego:

Proud new owner of a '63 Lark!

DEEPNHOCK
06-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Beats me...
Bolt it on, try and adjust it, Run it for an hour and pull a couple of spark plugs and see what they look like.
http://www.densoiridium.com/howtoreadusedplugs.php
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

I found a Carter carb in the local junk yard the other day. It's labeled:

MFG BY
CARTER
CARBURETOR
ST.LOUIS USA

0 2543

It also has a large cast 1 on the centre body. There are any number of vacumn attachments coming out of it. Some are plugged off and others are missing the aperture tube.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/carter/cartercarb.jpg

oops![:I] forgot to ask the question.
The tube coming out above the #12, what is it for? Is this compatible with my Larks?

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

imported_n/a
06-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Your old blue "Motors" auto repair manuals have carburetor sections in which they list carburetors by manufacturer and application by number. Your Carter no doubt has an identifying number on it. Even though they are out of print and for obsolete vehicles(sorry), most libraries still archive these old auto repair guides, due to popular demand. Using these as a guide, you should be able to ascertain what the original application of your salvage yard carb was. Besides examining the external hookup compatibility(throttle linkage, etc.)so you know it fits, it would help greatly to know if the displacement (CID) of the engine the carb was made for was close in size to the engine you intend to use it on, and that is the info the Motors Manual can supply.

pete
06-28-2006, 06:18 AM
as far as i no on carbs someone in this case may of had a vacuum guage from it at one stage also an automatic gearbox , who knows as time goes by what happens with playing around with motors . as above said you may have too ply around with it to get carb to work ok

Roscomacaw
06-28-2006, 12:56 PM
While scrounging at that scrap metal yard the other day, I saw a big bin full of carbs. I spotted a Carter RBS right off! I looked at it for a moment and then left it, right where it belongs![xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS