PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Air brackets, which pulleys?

Rosstude
06-24-2006, 01:27 PM
The next big ticket item on the list is A/C. I see Vintage lists the brackets, but no mention of the pulley arraignment. I have done some searching, and have a pretty good idea of what I need, but nonetheless still am not 100% certain. What exactly am I going to need?
Currently the Provincial has a single belt. I had considered going the route of the alternator conversion- A/C compressor driving the new alternator route found within SDC. I am leaning toward the Vintage set up, rather than fabricating as I normally would, the vintage set up looks well thought out.
What pulleys am I scouting for? I am under the impression that I need a double groove crank, and water pump pulley.

Here is the e-vap unit I am leaning toward,
.http://www.classicautoair.com/street-universal.asp

Still up in the air about the underseat heater. If I go with the above unit, I could remove the underseat unit. But some how that just dose not seem right, but on the other hand, two heaters would be over kill, at least here in So-Cal. Well itís over 100 degrees outside already, guess I should go, be back later.
Thanks in advance.
Ross.

Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar
1963 Lark. Temp storage?

Alan
06-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Ross, you would need a spacer, pulley, 6 longer 5/16" bolts and a longer crank bolt. And if you want another fan pulley, but you realy don't need it. I have most of the parts if you need and am here in L.A. not too far from you.

Rosstude
06-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks,
Anan, I may take you up on that, I will see if my neighbor (& fellow SDC'er) has what I need first off.
I will be ordering the vintage bracket tomorrow, and mocking it up on a spare engine. I will keep you posted.

Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar
1963 Lark. Temp storage?

N8N
06-25-2006, 11:40 AM
If you find out, I'd like to know. Do they plan on driving the A/C and alt. off the same pulley or are you supposed to add pulleys? I can't tell from the info. on their web site.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Dan White
06-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Vintage Air also sells all the pulleys you need for their kit, which uses the Sanden compressor not the York. I would strongly recommend them if you do not already have what you need. They sell the whole kit too with compressor, condensor, etc. I have a Stude evaporator and bought the rest from Vintage Air last year, yet to find time to install it.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

N8N
06-25-2006, 04:13 PM
Dan, if you don't mind I would like some more info. on exactly how the VA kit drives the compressor, if you could post a brief description of how the belt drive is arranged and/or drop me an email at njnagel at comcast dot net I would appreciate it.

Also once you get the bracket and comp. on the engine, I could use some dimensions - would like to know if it will fit under a '55 C-body hood with an R1 engine.

thanks,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

Dan White
06-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Will do, I am out of town until Wed. but I will try to scan the instructions and send them out when I get back. All I can say at this point is that the kit is well made. I already had my crank pulley so I did not need that but the rest of the engine compartment stuff is VA. I did have the brackets powder coated as they are bare welded steel when you get them. They have an idler pulley on one the bracket so it does not drive off the alternator. It is like the basic setup you see on most cars.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

N8N
06-25-2006, 06:11 PM
does the belt wrap over a pulley on the water pump like the stock, or does the idler mount on the driver's side? If so, does that mean that you can't run PS with the kit?

thanks,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

Dan White
06-25-2006, 07:38 PM
You need to tell VA if you have PS or not since it will make a difference in the pulley setup they supply. If you call VA you can talk to one of their techs and they can tell you the info you need to supply and the options.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Rosstude
06-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks a million everybody. I see the instructions on VAís site, under the downloads. With the idler opposite the compressor it looks like the water pump would be involved. I will find out more tomorrow morning when I call VA, the time difference makes it nice, I can order it before I go to work.
This place is great, what a valuable resource:D

Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar
1963 Lark. Temp storage?

Dan White
06-26-2006, 08:05 AM
Note that the VA download is only for installation w/o PS!

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Rosstude
06-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Here is part of a e-mail response from vintage. They were very helpful.
I have 151591 on the way.

"151591-SSA bracket/crank pulley w/o power steering. $245.00
151593-SSA bracket/crank pulley with power steering. $245.00"

Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar
1963 Lark. Temp storage?