This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big wheels ??

OK, I know I'm old, but I think big wheels with skinny tires just look "odd" on the C-K.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
    64 Daytona Convert.
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 R1 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Avanti R2/4 speed
    62 Daytona HT
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Hawk

I agree, back in the day the boys from the hollow would run L or M series on the back and jack the rear end up so high you could walk under the bumper. Then they would stick about a 5.00 tire on the front. Probably not safe with 400 HP under the hood....

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
    1948 M-16 grain truck
    1949 2R16A grain truck
    1949 2R17A fire truck
    1955 E-38 grain truck
    1957 3E-40 flatbed
    1961 6E-28 grain truck
    1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
    1962 Champ pickup
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
    1964 Cruiser
    And various other "treasures"

Comment

I agree JDP the tires don't seem to fiil the wheel wells. I also prefer chrome grill and bumpers. BTW I am old also. Champ

Comment

You'll notice that this is another of those "restored" cars with a Chevy 350 in the bay [V] I don't mind rods, just don't call them "restored"!

If this was mine, I'd be running Cragar SS's with a set of big 'n littles, and a 2" drop all around

---------------------------
        Clark in San Diego:

Proud new owner of a '63 Lark!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Along with the 4x4 attitude and the everything painted look.

There are many things that can be done with that body style...that red car is a good example of what not to do.

Maybe that's why he's selling it....he's decided he dosen't like it either and it'll cost too much to redo it!

Mike

Comment

I have to agree, I like the car but the wheels make it look like a full size Hot Wheels car. 16s might be OK but this is overkill. Probably would look better with some fatter sidewalls but I still don't like the wheel pattern.

I do like the rest of the car though... and that's even with my personal preference to avoid red cars.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The Wheel Thing is just another one of those senseless trends whereby "If a little is good and more is better, then too much is just right!". [:0]

Comment

The top rod builders always say it is about the stance and the wheels. Get that right and the rest is details. Seems to be the concensus from the conservative side of this forum they missed on both counts with this one.

thnx, jv

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

The Irony is that they spent the big bucks on the flashy chrome wheels, but then painted the bumpers etc., body color!

Comment

I feel that I have to vent about the subjected car. The exhaust tips, extensions or whatever, look like they were recycled from a residential or commercial heating and air conditioning duct. I wouldn't put them on my worst friends car. jimmijim8
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I feel that I have to vent about the subjected car. The exhaust tips, extensions or whatever, look like they were recycled from a residential or commercial heating and air conditioning duct. I wouldn't put them on my worst friends car. jimmijim8
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Jimm8, I think those are the Camaro-style 8" wide stainless jobs. Truth is, I ordered a set for the Packebaker! I was kind of thinking in synch with how the '56 Packards had exits in the bumper ends. But, when I got them and saw how much BIGGER they looked than in the catalogue, definitely decided not to use 'em. Instead, I got some smaller(5"x2") oval-shaped stainless tips that will dress it up nicely.

Comment

Until I looked at the picture, I wouldn't have believed how bad those 17 inchers look on a C/K. My '54 Starliner has 15 inch Cragers and chrome bumpers and grilles.

Gary L.
                          1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                          1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Different strokes, just don't call it restored.

Don Wilson
                            53 Commander Hardtop
                            64 Champ 1/2 ton
                            WA state
                            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                            50 Champion 2 door*
                            53 Commander K Auto*
                            53 Commander K overdrive*
                            55 President Speedster
                            62 GT 4Speed*
                            63 Avanti R1*
                            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

OMG! You guys think that 17 inch rims are "big"?? WOW! Try stepping
                              into the late 80's. The Impala SS & Camaro SS got 17 from the factory,
                              that was in 1994, over 12 years ago! I'm just amazed anyone could call
                              17 "big". Most new cars come with 18's these days. 17 is considered
                              to be small!

I guess MY 17's look too big also??[B)][B)][V][V][V]

Its not the SIZE, its the STYLE that doesnt work on that '53, also it
                              is sitting too high. Those rims are on just about EVERY car in Popular
                              Hot Rodding. They are mostly on Camaros, Chevelles and such.

Tom
                              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                              X