PDA

View Full Version : The 64 Lark is a HOT car!!! Cooling system issues

54-61-62
03-23-2007, 07:49 AM
Well I've had my 64 Lark out for a few drives and I'm somewhat puzzled by it overheating (its 50 degrees here in Michigan). Good news is my transmission with all new rubber seals and partial rebuild and NOS torque converter work! yay!

It only overheats on a trip longer then 15 miles and running at 50-60 mph. The gage says overheats and a kitchen candy thermometer confirms this. If I back off from running 50-60 aand say drive 35 or wait at a stoplight it cools back down to the normal range within a couple minutes. This is odd to me.

Its a 64 Canadian built daytona, 170 six, AT. However, it has the normal south-bend 4 blade fan (all Canadian built six cars I've seen, have a 4 blade fan that is about 1.5" smaller in diameter). The block had all its freeze plugs knocked out when the engine was out and the cooling galley pressure washed out. Has new water pump. Radiator is the two-row original six radiator with no leaks. Original NOS lark pressure cap. I'm pretty sure Cam timing is not an issue. I never really drove the car much prior to fixing it so I don't have a baseline if it overheated before or not.

Any suggestions?[?]

Kent

Skip Lackie
03-23-2007, 08:00 AM
If it overheats at high speed, then it often indicates a plugged radiator or a weak water pump.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

Jim Beard
03-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Clogged radiator.......have it cleaned at a radiator shop.
Jim

GTtim
03-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Time to get the radiator recored. $285 for my Hawk here in Southern Wisconsin.

Tim K.
'64 R2 GT Hawk

DEEPNHOCK
03-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Also....
Check your vacuum advance
(by using a setback timing light to verify vacuum advance is working)
Jeff[8D]

tstclr
03-23-2007, 11:00 AM
FWIW the car didn't overheat when I drove it but then again I didn't take it out on the highway much at all. A good flush might help though (I just drained the rad and refilled it when I got it)
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/tstclr/larkavitar.jpg

kamzack
03-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Hi, Hot Lark,
Fan isn't the issue. above 30mph there's enough ram air to cool with rad in good shape. That's why the "vis" clutch was used on some. Circulating problem is my ametuer's observation is. From experience with the ohv six, the rear part of block is where most of the crud and rust gathers. At Steve Allen's shop we would steam before going to machine and clean after and still get crud out. We'd poke anything that would flex in and around coolant gallies, hence never had cool ing problems at speed. Now traffic is another issue.
Thanks for letting me share.
Kim

54-61-62
03-23-2007, 12:45 PM
As I mentioned all the freeze plugs came out of the engine and the block cleaned while the engine was out of the car.

I also flushed the rad with the pressure washer but I guess that's where I'll start looking.

Kent

studeclunker
03-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Kent, the original radiator that went in Sweetie ('62-Y sedan) had a mouse-house in the top tank when I got the car. As this assured the blocking of the radiator, I added it to the pile of useless radiators here and put one of my re-cores in. I was looking out the kitchen window this morning and laughing at the chipmunks who've moved into them. They have their own multi-level radiator home.:D I'm ok with that as long as they stay out of the cars.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

StudeRich
03-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Nope, all of these are great suggestions and I am sure you appreciate the effort.
But from my experience (I think most are V-8 owners) I have driven these OHV 6 things which were like yours, all in perfect shape, and still had the condition on the Interstate at sustained high speed (over 60) that this new cylinder head just cannot cool with too many RPM's.
I would bet a dollar to a donut that you are running a 3.73 rear axle ratio and no Overdrive, right? That IS your problem! Sure you could improve the temp. by adding a shroud and flex fan or viscous drive, but not much, when you go another 5-10 MPH faster the problem is back! You need to run bigger tires, Overdrive or higher gear ratio, like 3.31! [:0]

Studebaker actually messed up, right from the start in '61 when that OHV engine came out with it's long ram intake manifold and all that 40 to 60 MPH exceleration they always bragged about. BUT, they got that with a lower axle ratio than the engine could actually take, and that explains why any that were driven over 60 blew up and the the cars were junked early!

And of course the result is well known, everyone says they have bad heads which crack between the valve seats. But people who know that, keep the R's down and say they are the best Stude. they ever owned and last forever!

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

studeclunker
03-24-2007, 02:35 AM
Hah![^] Fifty-five does save lives! :D Studebaker lives.;)

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

chocolate turkey
03-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Be sure that you have a good thermostat in there. Also, try taking all the coolant out and installing some of that race coolant stuff. I've heard that it works wonders. Hopefully someone out there remembers the name.

Brian K. Curtis

54-61-62
03-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Yup, I'm running a 3.73 with a model 35 auto trans (1:1 3rd)

Thanks for some insight.....To me it seems to like to rev too much over 55....

Kent

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Nope, all of these are great suggestions and I am sure you appreciate the effort.
But from my experience (I think most are V-8 owners) I have driven these OHV 6 things which were like yours, all in perfect shape, and still had the condition on the Interstate at sustained high speed (over 60) that this new cylinder head just cannot cool with too many RPM's.
I would bet a dollar to a donut that you are running a 3.73 rear axle ratio and no Overdrive, right? That IS your problem! Sure you could improve the temp. by adding a shroud and flex fan or viscous drive, but not much, when you go another 5-10 MPH faster the problem is back! You need to run bigger tires, Overdrive or higher gear ratio, like 3.31! [:0]

Studebaker actually messed up, right from the start in '61 when that OHV engine came out with it's long ram intake manifold and all that 40 to 60 MPH exceleration they always bragged about. BUT, they got that with a lower axle ratio than the engine could actually take, and that explains why any that were driven over 60 blew up and the the cars were junked early!

And of course the result is well known, everyone says they have bad heads which crack between the valve seats. But people who know that, keep the R's down and say they are the best Stude. they ever owned and last forever!

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Swifster
03-24-2007, 11:57 PM
If this is the original radiator for the car, I'd recore it. I would also look at dropping the numerical final drive to a 3.31 as rich suggested. It would not surprise me if the crud flush during the last service has settled in the raditor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/1965_Studebaker_Commander_front198x.jpg

John Kirchhoff
03-25-2007, 10:43 AM
I did a little figuring and with your 3.73:1 axle and automatic, the engine probably ran around 2800@60mph when it had 6.70X15 tires. If you're running something like 205X75X15, it now probably cranking more like 2900@60. If you were to use a 3.31:1, that'd get your rpms down to something like 2550@60. To put that into perspective, the OD equiped cars with a 4.11:1 originally turned more like 2050@60 with their tall tires. I know the OD cars sure don't have blinding acceleation in OD, but it does give you some idea of the rpm range you wouldn't want to get into. By the way, with your present setup, 83 mph would have your engine turning around 4,000 rpm...now that's fast! RPM that is.