PDA

View Full Version : Electrical ?

tlakeusa
06-20-2006, 11:53 PM
1948 Land Cruiser positive ground 6 volt. Hadn't started the car for a couple of days. Fired it up ran for about 3 minutes and it just stopped dead. Wouldn't turn over once it died, tried several times. Interior light is out. Double checked key position, it was on. Test lighted the battery and it has power. There is fuel in the Carb filter, checked just in case. So whats the prognosis ? [xx(]

gordr
06-21-2006, 01:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by tlakeusa

1948 Land Cruiser positive ground 6 volt. Hadn't started the car for a couple of days. Fired it up ran for about 3 minutes and it just stopped dead. Wouldn't turn over once it died, tried several times. Interior light is out. Double checked key position, it was on. Test lighted the battery and it has power. There is fuel in the Carb filter, checked just in case. So whats the prognosis ? [xx(]

I would first off check the connectors on the battery cables, particularly the positive cable and post. They tend to develop a hard brown coating of insulating lead oxides that can effectively disconnect the battery from the rest of the circuit. Remove both cables from the terminal studs, and use a terminal post cleaner to clean the studs and the inside of the terminal until they shine. Emery cloth will work in a pinch.

After having done that, if the problem remains, take a test light, and start at the battery, and work your way down the line from each post, checking for voltage (or grounding) at every point where there is a junction in the wires. At some point, you will find an "open".

One good place to check is the point on the starter switch or solenoid where the (-) battery cable connects. If the nut has worked loose, the connection can be functionally "open" if it appears intact. Happened to me a week ago on a 2R17A truck.

I'm betting on battery terminals, though.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

tlakeusa
06-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Thanks Gordr. I"ll get cracking this afternoon. [^]

tlakeusa
06-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Done deal. Everything looked very clean but .... it appears the coupling on the positive cable (neg terminal) was grounding on the metal frame holding down the battery, kinda wore through the paint. So basic auto shop, clean everything and tightened everything and she fired right up. BTW wrapped some electrical tape around the coupling where it was touching the frame.:D Thanks for the help Timbah