This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK-So I need to learn some Studebaker facts? and

whats desirable. I know what I like, but thats not always the best thing. I have been into Mopars since the 70s. I am now 44 and less than 30 months from retirement from the Sheriff's office. I am moving to Idaho, Cambridge to be exact. I am planning on opening a
    GASOLINE ALLEY/ THUNDER ALLEY type of Petrolina store. You know, old gas signs, coke machines, gas station memorabilia, even old Juke boxes and the like. I currently restore alot of this type of stuff and cars.

I tend to find myself in a lot of old barns, shops, ect and have bought a lot of old moapr stuff over the years. I am still learning the older Mopar hemi motors, ect as I ahve only recently(last two years or so) left the all muscle car world for the older stuff.

I cant tell you the amount of non mopar stuff I never even looked at. Kinda funny how you change over time and how your tastes change with time.

Recently I have been into the old trucks more and more. Since I do my own body and paint, its easier to afford and build.

I need to know what Studebakers to look for and whats desirable. Like this guy I am going to be trying to buy these two old Studebakers from. He has lots of parts, 4 speeds, ect sitting around.

Now in the world I am in currently, mopar 4 speed stuff is very very expensive. I have NO idea when it comes to Studebaker. I may be walking right over some hard to find stuff that someone needs or wants.

After spending the whole day checking out Studebaker stuff as far as these 50-51 Bullet nose cars, I like the 4 doors better. But thats obviously not the norm. I like the suicide doors and they have a more rodder look to me.

In any case, what jewels are best, what years, mods, ect. And, how many guys/gals here have their own websites to check out their cars?

Is anyone here into the old gas pumps,e ct and is anyone here from Idaho or Northern Nevada.

Dave

Top of the heap hot post war cars in no particular order. 50-51 Starlight coupes, all ragtops, 53-54 coupes and hardtops, 55 Speedsters, 56-58 Golden Hawks, 61 Hawk 4 speeds, 63-64 Avanti's, Avanti powered Larks and Hawks.

A little lower down the list, 47-49 Starlights and 52 Starlights and Starliner, most all Hawks, 55 coupes and hardtops, all Lark hardtops, all wagons, 58 hardtops. Plenty of less collectable Studebakers are still wonderful drivers, but 4 doors are the least popular body style, value wise. The above is just based on my sales experience, not a judgement on anyones car and I may have missed a few.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Black
    63 GT Hawk
    62 Daytona HT

JDP Maryland

Comment

For most easily available front suspension parts go with 51 or later; virtually no change through '66.

The sedans are affordable now and, as they get stripped for parts to restore the coupes, hardtops and convertibles, they will become more rare. I could be wrong but I think they promise future value. If Mamma loves the Commander, one must keep Mamma happy because, if Mamma ain't happy...

We don't want any Studebaker part to be lost so, do us a favor and buy them all.

Do join SDC. The monthly magazine, Turning Wheels, will supply more information and contacts for parts than we could begin to discuss here.

Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I put an ad for Studebaker stuff in our local craigslist. A gal emailed me with two S/W Like 62 Lark wagons-sorry, these are not very pretty. I can turn someone on to these if they want them. Probably could be had for next to nothing. If interested, email me at
        svmopars@earthlink.net and I will forward the email with pics that she sent me.

Dave

Comment

I tend to gravitate towards the high performance side of Studebakering Dave, although I like nearly every, single model that Studebaker put out. I've owned a few, still own a few and I'd say that the bulletnoses are my hands down favorites. I Really like the Larks, ('59 -'61 especially) too.

I guess, (going by the prices they're bringing), the most desiresable Studes are the '56 Golden, '57 Golden, '63-'64 Avanti (with the R2/R3/R4 types most expensive), R-Type Larks, then for some odd reason, the GT Hawks seem to have a following, (well, you can find what are called "package cars" and/or "almost package cars" and/or "factory put some Avanti stuff on them cars", and/or "somebody put some Avanti stuff on them cars" ), meaning, watch yourself if, for some reason, you might consider buying one! [] I'd rather have a ANY nice Stude station wagon myself, but that's just me. Oh! Any Starlight, Biz coupe and convertible brings good money/desirable too!

Anyway, I'm SURE that you'll have a firestorm of answers/opinions to this one, but I like your opinion! I like those suicide-doored bulletnoses better than most too. As you get into Studebakering more you'll see how varied our pricing/desire structure can be. I think it's still MUCH better/easier than dealing with the Mopar/Ford/GM stuff though.

You can check out my website for much more on the high performance stuff if you like. Just click on the link under my name.....

Sonny
          Sonny
          http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

I think the two "sleepers" in the post war Studebaker world are the 1954-1955 two door station wagons and the Packard Hawks. The two door station wagons are still very affordable and have great potential in the current market, have interchangable front parts with the sedans (unlike the coupes!) and the lines of the Lowey design look good on the wagon and coupe/hardtop, while they seem out of proportion on the sedans (my opinion). The Packard Hawks have the supercharger aura and the legendary Packard name, as well as low production figures (588). Couple that with the fact that they are really just a Golden Hawk with a fiberglass nose, and the potential becomes apparent.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by whacker

I think the two "sleepers" in the post war Studebaker world are the 1954-1955 two door station wagons
              I definately agree on the 54-55 Wagons...maybe more so from a custom/modified perspective than a stocker. Long roofs are in right now with the rodders, and the 54-55 wagons are pretty nifty as rods (pretty nifty as stockers too).

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by whacker

I think the two "sleepers" in the post war Studebaker world are the 1954-1955 two door station wagons and the Packard Hawks. The two door station wagons are still very affordable and have great potential in the current market, have interchangable front parts with the sedans (unlike the coupes!) and the lines of the Lowey design look good on the wagon and coupe/hardtop, while they seem out of proportion on the sedans (my opinion). The Packard Hawks have the supercharger aura and the legendary Packard name, as well as low production figures (588). Couple that with the fact that they are really just a Golden Hawk with a fiberglass nose, and the potential becomes apparent.
                Couldn't have said it better myself wacker. Dunno how I left those wagons out. Gimme a two door wagon, ('specially the '54 - '55) any day! Packard Hawks are, well Packards.... (aren't they?)

Just pickin' on ya wacker!

[)]Sonny[)]
                Runnin' a '57 Packard Hawk motor in his '50 Starlight [^]
                Sonny

Comment

Where can I see some more 54-55 wagon pics. This is the only one I can find and its chopped. cool, but chopped.

Dave

Comment

WHOA!! [:0] (Doink! Huff-N-Puff....) Whew, I don't think I need to look at ANY more wagon pictures for a few minutes...... A fella needs a little time before the next go-round ya know! [:I]

AWESOME WAGON!! [8D] THAT is what dreams are made of!

Sonny
                    Sonny

Comment

I agree with most of what's been said up to this point, but as you can see from my collection, I dance to the beat of a different drum!!!

See them here:

http://racingstudebakers.com/copperm....php?cat=10037

It's been said before, and I'll say it again~
                      SEDANS RULE!!!

[8D]

StudeDave
                      V/P San Diego County SDC
                      San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
                      '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
                      '57 Commander 2dr
                      '57 Champion 2dr
                      '58 Packard sedan
                      '65 Cruiser
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Thats the coolest wagon Ive ever seen!

Comment

For some interesting viewing of a Stude wagon full custom build, go to: http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/communit...92&order=&asc=

Here are a few wagon pic's from my files...
                          Jeff[8D]

(2 more pic's of that same wagon)

Pretty Custom in Florida

(and for the bulltnose crowd)

quote:Originally posted by LAWFISH

Where can I see some more 54-55 wagon pics. This is the only one I can find and its chopped. cool, but chopped.
                          Dave
                          DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                          Ocala, FL.
                          '37 Coupe Express
                          '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                          '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Dave - Welcome to the Forum, and to SDC! I'm just west of you in WA and of all the cars I've owned through the years and people associated with them, I've found Studebaker folks far and away, the most helpful, friendliest and ch..., uh, frugal bunch around!
                            Maybe we'll run into each other at a NW event. I look forward to it.

Comment

Yeah Dave - welcome to our world. I've been "playin'" with Studes since I "discovered" them in '73.[] I've grown to love them ALL. Good cars - great folks.
                              I have too many Studes but they don't cause me no pain.[^] I've got a '58 wagon I'm putting some makeup on and I drive a '57 Transtar and a 60 Lark ragtop as daily drivers. Mostly the Transtar tho.
                              We's here to help with your infection - to see that it takes root REAL GOOD[}] We'll gladly offer ANY advice or answers that helps keep you "diseased".

Studes are like the fictional nemisis of Star Trek, the Borg.[:0] The Borg were on a mission to totally control (assimilate) anyone they came in contact with. Their line was: "Resistance is futile!" And so it is with Studes. Once infected, that's it.
                              Join us as we boldly go where most car enthusiasts don't. Become a crewmember of the Starliner...er...Starship Studebaker as we probe the known universe for the missing R-series cars and anything else that has ties to South Bend, Indiana!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President 2-dr
                              1955 President State
                              1951 Champion Biz cpe
                              1963 Daytona project FS
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X