This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im new here- have ??s and pis of Studebakers-

First off, just wanted to say hi and let you know who I am. I am a Mopar guy by nature but have recently gotten into the Studebakers mostly because they are different. I got into the Mopars when they were the odd ones and now that they have become expensive mainstream, I am looking for something different.

I am hoping these pics show up as they are pics of two vehicles I have recently found. One is a 57 Studebaker truck and the other is a 50 Studebaker 4 dr champion commander? I think.
    I dont know much about them but my wife wants the 4 dr. I restore my own stuff and am no great mechanic, but I do body and paint work.
    Are these decent projects to pick up in the Studebaker world and what would I expect to pay for them. The guy/owner has informed me to make him an offer. I dont know what to offer and dont want to under/over pay. I am selling my little 54 DODGE truck that has little personality to buy this 57 Studebaker truck.

Thanks

Dave.
    [image]http://www.smithvalleymopars.com/DSC01663.JPG[/image]

[image]http://www.smithvalleymopars.com/DSC01708.JPG[/image]

[image]http://www.smithvalleymopars.com/DSC01669.JPG[/image]
    [image]http://www.smithvalleymopars.com/DSC01666.JPG[/image]

[image]http://www.smithvalleymopars.com/DSC01664.JPG[/image]

57 trk studebaker?

[image]http://www.smithvalleymopars.com/DSC01647.JPG[/image]

[image]http://www.smithvalleymopars.com/DSC01718.JPG[/image]

[image]http://www.smithvalleymopars.com/DSC01651.JPG[/image]

Ballpark value (and hard to be sure from pictures)

$4000-$6000 for the Commander, maybe 4K-5K for the truck. 50 Commanders are great driver and are much more collectable that the Champion with it's smaller six.

I'd love to take a buffer to that old paint on the Commander.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Black
    63 GT Hawk
    62 Daytona HT

JDP Maryland

Comment

YUCK- I wouldn't buy them; not worth anything......

On a totally unrelated matter, where are they.............[}]

Seriously, I love both of 'em; it's great to start with vehicles already as good as those; good luck!! [^]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

Comment

On a totally unrelated matter, where are they........IoMT.

From the appearance of the landscape-- somewhere near the "four corners." I've been wrong before[B)]

Dave. Both are a great find. Good Luck.

'49 Starlight Coupe
        1936 Miller Replica/ Stude driveline

Comment

Thanks for the info/imput guys. I have many mopars and most are getting to be very expensive and most have lost their unique qualities to the prices and people who deal in them solely for the purpose of making $$$.

These Studebakers are very cool or most are. I plan on buying both if the prices are right. I didnt even look at the motor in the 50 as I had no plans of buying that one until I got home and showed my wife the pics. She went crazy and wants the car for hers. The guy I spoke with/ the owner is in Belize(sp) for a couple of weeks. He actually called me because he was told I buy moars and he has a couple of those that I am not interested in but may have to buy to get a deal on these Studebakers.

I went and looked at them at a ranch that he does not live on but owns and rents out. I was surprised at the condition of the cars/studabakers and fell in love with the truck.

Now I cant wait for him to get back and speak with him with regards to a price.

He has a ton of parts for Studabakers as well as a completly torn down/apart convertible 49 studebaker champion vert. He did want $2500 for it because he said it had a new motor with it.

Dave

Comment

JDP has a good handle on values. If it were me, I'd offer about $3500 for the Commander and see if that buys it. It's not an unreasonably low offer, but it would be a good deal for you - assuming it runs.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I want that truck to haul this when its done. Thought they would look good together/ maybe a similar or reversed paint sceme.

Dave
              32 plymouth and 392HEMI PICS/ with studebaker hauler?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

JDP has a good handle on values. If it were me, I'd offer about $3500 for the Commander and see if that buys it. It's not an unreasonably low offer, but it would be a good deal for you - assuming it runs.
                Sonny
                http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Thanks for the info on the values. I will tell you that this guy called me searching for a buyer. He said he uses ebay as a tool for prices, so I dont know if thats good or bad.

I really want to get into the trucks as I like them. I am very tired of the expensive stuff I have been into for a while, that wasnt too expensive when I started. Cudas, Roadrunners, ect.

I am moving from Northern Nevada to Idaho in two years when I retire and have been learning to retore cars, gas, pumps, ect for a while.

I started checking into these cars and they are very cool and priced right. Try buying a convertible 70 cuda these days.! I dont think the guy wanted a lot for either of these two. He has several covered Studebakers inside the garage that I didnt even uncover since he was not there. Lots of parts sitting int he dirt, grass, shop ect.

I may make him an offer on all of it and clean it up and send it down the road to good homes.

The cars are in Northern Nevada and rust free. Truck has one dent in the drivers side fender. Thats about it.

I will keep my fingers crossed for a deal.

Dave/LAWFISH.

BY THE WAY, WHAT TYPE OF HP DO THESE TWO RIGS PUT OUT? AND IF THE DRIVETRAIN IS SHOT, IS IT BEST TO REPLACE WITH ORIGINAL OR GO WITH SOMETHING MORE MODERN?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by LAWFISH

I want that truck to haul this when its done.
                    A Stude truck should be used to haul a Stude car, IMHO.

sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

Dave,

Wish you were closer so I could set you up with some real Studebaker trucks (or take some discards off your hands!)

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
                      1948 M-16 grain truck
                      1949 2R16A grain truck
                      1949 2R17A fire truck
                      1955 E-38 grain truck
                      1957 3E-40 flatbed
                      1961 6E-28 grain truck
                      1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
                      1962 Champ pickup
                      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                      1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
                      1964 Cruiser
                      And various other "treasures"

Comment

I don't have the numbers here but the 50 Commander six was a solid cruiser with heritage from a 1932 design by Ralph Vale and Roy Cole. With varying displacements it is the longest production engine in motor vehicle history and was available in Studebaker trucks until 1961.

In the Commander model, Studebaker replaced the Lhead with their 232 V-8 in 1951. A stock model won three NASCAR races that year. I believe some modification would be necessary to drop a V-8 into the 1950.

The Transtar, on the other hand--if it isn't already a V-8--would accept one without making any modifications, and the late model Stude V-8s have been blowing the competition away since their introduction.

With a torch and welder anything can be dropped in but you'll get more bang for your buck by maximizing what Studebaker has already provided.

Additional information immediately forthcoming by other members here.

Glad you've joined us. Welcome!
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

quote:Originally posted by LAWFISH

I want that truck to haul this when its done.
                          A Stude truck should be used to haul a Stude car, IMHO.

Hey Dave, nice name by the way. Ya never know, maybe it will haul a Studebaker car as well.

I checked out your site. Very nice truck by the way. Have not checked out the car yet. What color is that? I was thinking of doing this oen in Viper red. I have a 70 Cuda vert that color and love the color. Was thinking of doing the same color to the 32 plymouth and maybe this truck with a white or black mixed into it somewhere.

I have to ask, why the 350 CHEBBY motor. The one I am trying to get is a little /6. What could come in a 57 Studebaker truck. Any V8s?

If I get this truck and the motor is shot. Should I go with something in the Stude line or something else. And if I ahve to go with something else-------IT CANT BE A FERD OR CHEBBY. Would, say a 5.7 HEMI fit into it OK. Maybe a 6.1 or even a EFI 360?

Do big block stand a chance in one. Or, do I re-do the /6 to keep it nice and clean and simple?

Also, Guido, whaere are you located.?

DB

Dave

Comment

"Would, say a 5.7 HEMI fit into it OK. Maybe a 6.1 or even a EFI 360?"

Torch and welder required.

Studebaker V-8? No problem; drop right in; upgrade to 800hp if you got the bucks!
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Since you asked, I'd suggest keeping Stude engines in Studes. Why? In my opinion, the engines are as much a part of the Studebaker legacy as the attractive designs of the sheet metal. Stude designed and built their own powerplants. There WERE a few exceptions for some commercial/military vehicles. Still, the vast majority of their production thru the years used was powered by in-house iron. And it WASN'T junk either!
                              Stude only developed ONE V8 block but it was/is a brute of an engine.[] Witness that our own celebrity racer, Ted (lead-'em-down-the-track) Harbit kicks "BrandX" butt with both stock AND modified Stude V8s.[}] This with virtually NO mods to the lower end! Not to mention Ted's "stock" is truly just that. Investigate Sonny's Racingstudebakers.com for more convincing details.
                              The 6s weren't junk either. That Commander 6 is a real torquer and durable as anything comparable. Add caburetion and raise compression for more zip. Same for the venerable Champion motor. While it was ably matched to the all-new Champion in which it debuted in 1939, later Champion cars got progressively heavier for it's 170cu.in. to work with. (they did increase it by 15cu.in. for 4 years but reverted to 170 with the Debut of the
                              lark in '59) Look into the ongoing assualt on the salt flats by a team of Stude folks using a turbo'd Champion engine in a Stude coupe!

There's schools of thought here for Modified or stock Studes. Both are fine if that's what you want. But with the wealth of parts out there for the Stude, their maintainability is not a point of concern.[^] In fact, our continued use of the parts is what assures that vendors will go the extra mile to keep making parts as time goes on.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President 2-dr
                              1955 President State
                              1951 Champion Biz cpe
                              1963 Daytona project FS
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X