PDA

View Full Version : 1939 Champion Shift

55s
06-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Got the 1939 Champion running last night. Still running well five years after it was last started. However, I couldn't put it in gear. So I put the car in gear, and pushed the starter button (under the clutch) the car moves. (as expected.)(one or two starter motor turns). The car seems to shift fine when the engine is stopped.

I presume something simple is sticking in the transmission, and I presume I can access it fairly easily - any thoughts?

Paul R.

P.S.: I am also looking for a hood latch and two stainless trim pieces for the hood.

Roscomacaw
06-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Paul, the clucth plate's stuck to the flywheel. This is not uncommon of car's that have set for a time.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

55s
06-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Question: If I pull it in gear, backwards or forwards, is it likely to break loose? Or do I have to take it apart? Or should I be taking it apart anyway to clean up? Or will it clean up after a bit of a drive?

Thank you

Paul

N8N
06-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Just start the car with the parking brake set, the car in gear, and your foot on the clutch. The torque of the starter should break the clutch plate free.

On my '62 Lark this was the case when I got the car, it freed right up, but the clutch disc was toast after only a couple hundred miles of driving. I ASSumed that I had a rear main seal leak as the engine leaked oil everywhere, but upon teardown the clutch disc was dry but worn to the rivets. Whether the rust caused exceptionally fast wear or if it was used enthusiastically by a previous driver I do not know.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

studegary
06-19-2006, 05:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Paul, the clucth plate's stuck to the flywheel. This is not uncommon of car's that have set for a time.

I agree. That is why cars in storage or in museums have a block of wood holding the clutch pedal part way down, or at least that is the way that it used to be done.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

rockne10
06-19-2006, 09:09 PM
It's going to depend on the condition of the disc. If it was beefy when it was parked it will probably break loose and be good for years. My Rockne sat for 31 years and the disc was froze. I broke it loose and it's still working fourteen years later.

If it was close to worn when parked you can break it loose but it won't last long.

gordr
06-19-2006, 09:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by 55s

Question: If I pull it in gear, backwards or forwards, is it likely to break loose? Or do I have to take it apart? Or should I be taking it apart anyway to clean up? Or will it clean up after a bit of a drive?

Thank you

Paul

I have successfully gotten clutches unstuck by putting the transmission in high gear (overdrive locked out, if present), having one person hold the clutch pedal to the floor, and two others pushing alternately forwards and back, rocking the car as you would to get out of a snowdrift. Engine off, of course. That usually creates enough impact torques on the clutch to break the rust bond holding it to the flywheel.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Dick Steinkamp
06-19-2006, 09:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by gordr

I have successfully gotten clutches unstuck by putting the transmission in high gear (overdrive locked out, if present), having one person hold the clutch pedal to the floor, and two others pushing alternately forwards and back, rocking the car as you would to get out of a snowdrift. Engine off, of course. That usually creates enough impact torques on the clutch to break the rust bond holding it to the flywheel.

I DO NOT recommend that anybody else does this, but I have got them unstuck by jacking up the rear end, starting the car in gear, depressing the clutch pedal, and taping the brake.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

55s
06-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Thank you for your suggestions. I've tried some of the gentler ones, working my way to the harder ones.

Since I'm from Canada, I'm used to snow drifts and getting stuck. Unfortunately, I'm also used to salt - and not for racing. Got to get together a pushing crew now.

Thanks, everyone. I will let you know if I get it.

Meanwhile, still looking for a 39 Champion hood latch and hood trim pieces! Leads and suggestions appreciated. I even have stuff to trade, if thats what it takes!

Paul