PDA

View Full Version : Any advice?

Magnum
03-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Hello, everyone.

I am about to be a new Studebaker owner on Saturday. Tomorrow we head out to Wisconsin to pick up a 1949 Studebaker 1/2 ton truck to drive back to Kansas (about 500 miles). The truck is reported to be in good driving condition, with everything working, etc. It has modern rims and tires, but appears to be original everything else, to include the column-shifting 3-speed.

I plan to drive the side roads and keep off the interstates after determining that these old Studes weren't geared for modern highway speeds. I'll also have a support vehicle with me capable of towing it in a pinch.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer for my maiden voyage.

A little background on me: I'm an old car nut from a very early age. I also own a 1960 Chevy Bel Air 4-dr that I restored, daily drove, and took on the 2005 Hot Rod Power Tour.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

JDP
03-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Having driven a ton and half Studebaker truck 800 miles, I know it can be done, but you won't stop vibrating for a few days after the trip. Even with overdrive 50 MPH is about all you'll be comfortable with the factory brakes.

64 Commander 2 dr.
64 GT Hawk R2 clone
64 Daytona HT
63 Cruiser
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert
63 Lark 2 door
63 Lark 2 door #2
62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT
60 Hawk
59 3E truck
52 Starliner
51 Commander

JDP
03-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Having driven a ton and half Studebaker truck 800 miles, I know it can be done, but you won't stop vibrating for a few days after the trip. Even with overdrive 50 MPH is about all you'll be comfortable with the factory brakes.

64 Commander 2 dr.
64 GT Hawk R2 clone
64 Daytona HT
63 Cruiser
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert
63 Lark 2 door
63 Lark 2 door #2
62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT
60 Hawk
59 3E truck
52 Starliner
51 Commander

Swifster
03-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Keep Mr. MasterCard and Mrs. Visa close by...just in case.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/1965_Studebaker_Commander_front198x.jpg

Swifster
03-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Keep Mr. MasterCard and Mrs. Visa close by...just in case.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/1965_Studebaker_Commander_front198x.jpg

Lark Parker
03-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Don't worry, Mike. Your plan sounds good.
With overdrive, you can even do some dual lane stuff after the merging challenge. Without overdrive you will just have time to enjoy the "side road" scenery.
Of course, there is a ton of difference between traveling in the 1/2 ton and a 1 1/2 ton.

Lark Parker aka Trim Trader

Lark Parker
03-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Don't worry, Mike. Your plan sounds good.
With overdrive, you can even do some dual lane stuff after the merging challenge. Without overdrive you will just have time to enjoy the "side road" scenery.
Of course, there is a ton of difference between traveling in the 1/2 ton and a 1 1/2 ton.

Lenny R2
03-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Welcome to the forum Mike.I dont know a lot about studebaker trucks
but some of others do and i am sure they will help you.Try this
i think its the studebaker truck site.
www.network54.com/forum/23881/

Lenny

Lenny R2
03-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Welcome to the forum Mike.I dont know a lot about studebaker trucks
but some of others do and i am sure they will help you.Try this
i think its the studebaker truck site.
www.network54.com/forum/23881/

Lenny

dpson
03-22-2007, 08:47 PM
My advice would be to rent a trailer and bring it home that way. Get to know the truck before you attempt to drive it that far. No need to start out your new relationship on the wrong foot. The 2R5 I owned (3spd without od) was pushing the little six (rpms)at speeds over 45 mph. That makes a 500 mile trip on back roads a 12 hour venture.

Dan Peterson
Montpelier, VT
1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible

dpson
03-22-2007, 08:47 PM
My advice would be to rent a trailer and bring it home that way. Get to know the truck before you attempt to drive it that far. No need to start out your new relationship on the wrong foot. The 2R5 I owned (3spd without od) was pushing the little six (rpms)at speeds over 45 mph. That makes a 500 mile trip on back roads a 12 hour venture.

Dan Peterson
Montpelier, VT
1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible

BRUCESTUDE
03-22-2007, 10:04 PM
I owned a '53 1/2 ton for several years starting in about '92. I rebuilt everything, rewired for 12 volts, installed an OD, redid the interior, and drove the heck out of it! It was excellent around town as you sit up high, and contrary to popular belief, the brakes are excellent! I even took it on a 500 mile trip, mostly on 2-lane roads, with OD it topped out at about 65. The seats are a little upright, so you need a lot of rest stops.
These trucks are easy to work on, and they made quite a few of them, so parts trucks are still out there.
I hauled a lot of stuff; lumber, cabinets, dump runs, new lawn tractor, etc. with no problem (which is why trucks are geared lower and have oversized brake drums).
Anyway, good luck and have fun![:p]

BRUCESTUDE
03-22-2007, 10:04 PM
I owned a '53 1/2 ton for several years starting in about '92. I rebuilt everything, rewired for 12 volts, installed an OD, redid the interior, and drove the heck out of it! It was excellent around town as you sit up high, and contrary to popular belief, the brakes are excellent! I even took it on a 500 mile trip, mostly on 2-lane roads, with OD it topped out at about 65. The seats are a little upright, so you need a lot of rest stops.
These trucks are easy to work on, and they made quite a few of them, so parts trucks are still out there.
I hauled a lot of stuff; lumber, cabinets, dump runs, new lawn tractor, etc. with no problem (which is why trucks are geared lower and have oversized brake drums).
Anyway, good luck and have fun![:p]

JDP
03-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Those that think the brakes are excellent are much younger them I am.:) Since they are not self energizing, they take a lot more pedal pressure then I'm comfortable with. At 70 MPH if a BMW with four wheel disks stands on the brakes in front of me, I would not be able to stop a C cab in time, but that may just be me. I found until I upgraded to disks, I was not comfortable in bumper to bumper beltway traffic.

64 Commander 2 dr.
64 GT Hawk R2 clone
64 Daytona HT
63 Cruiser
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert
63 Lark 2 door
63 Lark 2 door #2
62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT
60 Hawk
59 3E truck
52 Starliner
51 Commander

JDP
03-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Those that think the brakes are excellent are much younger them I am.:) Since they are not self energizing, they take a lot more pedal pressure then I'm comfortable with. At 70 MPH if a BMW with four wheel disks stands on the brakes in front of me, I would not be able to stop a C cab in time, but that may just be me. I found until I upgraded to disks, I was not comfortable in bumper to bumper beltway traffic.

64 Commander 2 dr.
64 GT Hawk R2 clone
64 Daytona HT
63 Cruiser
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert
63 Lark 2 door
63 Lark 2 door #2
62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT
60 Hawk
59 3E truck
52 Starliner
51 Commander

Lark Parker
03-23-2007, 08:10 AM
A lot depends on the person you are buying from.

Agreed, stay away from all the beltways between Wisconsin and Kansas.
That might not be too difficult if I read the map correctly.

Take a SDC roster along so you can stop and show your truck to the good helpful people in the midwest. You could probably set up a support chain right here on the forum.

Sure, driving is a risk -- the but you can sit on your porch at an older age and tell an adventure story instead of a trailer story.

The only ones I have ever trailered were not running when I bought them. And one that didn't survive its maiden voyage after I rebuilt it.(g)

But if you have a bad lower back --- 500 miles in a pickup is an eternity.
And I just noticed you are leaving/left on the 22nd, so, good luck!

Lark Parker
03-23-2007, 08:10 AM
A lot depends on the person you are buying from.

Agreed, stay away from all the beltways between Wisconsin and Kansas.
That might not be too difficult if I read the map correctly.

Take a SDC roster along so you can stop and show your truck to the good helpful people in the midwest. You could probably set up a support chain right here on the forum.

Sure, driving is a risk -- the but you can sit on your porch at an older age and tell an adventure story instead of a trailer story.

The only ones I have ever trailered were not running when I bought them. And one that didn't survive its maiden voyage after I rebuilt it.(g)

But if you have a bad lower back --- 500 miles in a pickup is an eternity.
And I just noticed you are leaving/left on the 22nd, so, good luck!

DEEPNHOCK
03-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Re-pack your front wheel bearings.
Check your brakes.
Get your route planned by using the SDC member roster.
Take a tow strap.
Bring a bottle of Xanax with you.
Take extra comfortable shoes, and a raincoat, and a blanket.
Then make sure you have the premium AAA plan with the longer towing coverage.
Take ALL your credit cards.
Digital camera, extra batteries, and a canteen.
Try to have fun.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Magnum

Hello, everyone.

I am about to be a new Studebaker owner on Saturday. Tomorrow we head out to Wisconsin to pick up a 1949 Studebaker 1/2 ton truck to drive back to Kansas (about 500 miles). The truck is reported to be in good driving condition, with everything working, etc. It has modern rims and tires, but appears to be original everything else, to include the column-shifting 3-speed.

I plan to drive the side roads and keep off the interstates after determining that these old Studes weren't geared for modern highway speeds. I'll also have a support vehicle with me capable of towing it in a pinch.

A little background on me: I'm an old car nut from a very early age. I also own a 1960 Chevy Bel Air 4-dr that I restored, daily drove, and took on the 2005 Hot Rod Power Tour.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

DEEPNHOCK
03-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Re-pack your front wheel bearings.
Check your brakes.
Get your route planned by using the SDC member roster.
Take a tow strap.
Bring a bottle of Xanax with you.
Take extra comfortable shoes, and a raincoat, and a blanket.
Then make sure you have the premium AAA plan with the longer towing coverage.
Take ALL your credit cards.
Digital camera, extra batteries, and a canteen.
Try to have fun.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Magnum

Hello, everyone.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

mbstude
03-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Well, sounds like a lot of fun to me! My daily driver is a '59 1/2 ton pickup, with the 170 six engine and OD trans. We replaced the original 4:27 rear end with a 3:53, and that helped the top speed a LOT. :)
The truck is incredibly sound, with only 53,700 miles or so on it. With the little 6, it will do 65 MPH all day on a flat road. (I have been known to actually hit 80 MPH once on a lonely down hill stretch. :D) And, maybe that I'm too young to know the difference (I'm 17), then again maybe all the vibrating from the truck has knocked something loose, ;)[:o)] but the brakes on my truck are excellent compared to what is usually said about them. Now, I wouldn't want to hit the stop and go traffic in D.C. where JDP lives, but in the rural South Georgia town that I live in, the whole setup is very adequate.
I LIKE my old truck, and wouldn't trade it for anything new on the market today.

Good luck with your adventure and take a lot of pictures. And, have fun and be prepared for a lot of waves and 'thumbs up'. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, Georgia
'59 Scotsman PU
'63 Daytona HT

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/truck_pretty_sky.jpg
http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/
http://georgiastudebaker.com/

mbstude
03-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Well, sounds like a lot of fun to me! My daily driver is a '59 1/2 ton pickup, with the 170 six engine and OD trans. We replaced the original 4:27 rear end with a 3:53, and that helped the top speed a LOT. :)
The truck is incredibly sound, with only 53,700 miles or so on it. With the little 6, it will do 65 MPH all day on a flat road. (I have been known to actually hit 80 MPH once on a lonely down hill stretch. :D) And, maybe that I'm too young to know the difference (I'm 17), then again maybe all the vibrating from the truck has knocked something loose, ;)[:o)] but the brakes on my truck are excellent compared to what is usually said about them. Now, I wouldn't want to hit the stop and go traffic in D.C. where JDP lives, but in the rural South Georgia town that I live in, the whole setup is very adequate.
I LIKE my old truck, and wouldn't trade it for anything new on the market today.

Good luck with your adventure and take a lot of pictures. And, have fun and be prepared for a lot of waves and 'thumbs up'. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, Georgia
'59 Scotsman PU
'63 Daytona HT

Roscomacaw
03-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Really cracks me up - the spectrum of advice here - regarding this guy's planned adventure. We've got anywhere from pure 'n simple "Go for it!"[:p] TO [:0]"Oh my god! Make sure your will's in order... check 'n see that it's a long-bed so's you'll have room for all the supplies 'n safety devices you'll most CERTAINLY require to have that decrpit relic limp that far.... call your bank and get pre-approval of the second mortgage you're gonna need to pay off various garages and the extra insurance you might need when you ball it up into the back of someone else's luxury vehicle.... make sure you at least consider the idea that you retro-fit it with disc brakes, dual master cylinder, radial tires, self-cancelling turn signals with an emergency flasher option incorporated, seat belts, roll bar, flanged axles, fire retardant seat upholstery, cell phone, digital navigating system, air conditioning, comfortable bucket seats (with lumbar massage)(with the aforementioned fire-retardant upholstery applied), power steering and a GPS-oriented odometer/speedometer. I've not seen anyone mention a tent, extra bottled water and things like energy bars, low-fat beef jerky. Don't forget waterproof matches and one of those nifty survival axes.[B)] OH! And take along your radar detector. There's bound to be one or two downhill stretches along your route![}:)]

Now, lest ye'all annoint me hypocritical, I confess that when I brought home that Wagonaire that I've been dismantling, I opted NOT to drive it the 33 miles to my place. I KNOW - I KNOW - it sounds "wussie", but there's LOTS of hills between where IT was and where I'M at and the fact that it didn't have an engine and transmission dashed my hopes of navigating it here under it's own power.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
03-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Really cracks me up - the spectrum of advice here - regarding this guy's planned adventure. We've got anywhere from pure 'n simple "Go for it!"[:p] TO [:0]"Oh my god! Make sure your will's in order... check 'n see that it's a long-bed so's you'll have room for all the supplies 'n safety devices you'll most CERTAINLY require to have that decrpit relic limp that far.... call your bank and get pre-approval of the second mortgage you're gonna need to pay off various garages and the extra insurance you might need when you ball it up into the back of someone else's luxury vehicle.... make sure you at least consider the idea that you retro-fit it with disc brakes, dual master cylinder, radial tires, self-cancelling turn signals with an emergency flasher option incorporated, seat belts, roll bar, flanged axles, fire retardant seat upholstery, cell phone, digital navigating system, air conditioning, comfortable bucket seats (with lumbar massage)(with the aforementioned fire-retardant upholstery applied), power steering and a GPS-oriented odometer/speedometer. I've not seen anyone mention a tent, extra bottled water and things like energy bars, low-fat beef jerky. Don't forget waterproof matches and one of those nifty survival axes.[B)] OH! And take along your radar detector. There's bound to be one or two downhill stretches along your route![}:)]

Now, lest ye'all annoint me hypocritical, I confess that when I brought home that Wagonaire that I've been dismantling, I opted NOT to drive it the 33 miles to my place. I KNOW - I KNOW - it sounds "wussie", but there's LOTS of hills between where IT was and where I'M at and the fact that it didn't have an engine and transmission dashed my hopes of navigating it here under it's own power.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Ernie55
03-23-2007, 10:34 AM
I see some good advice here. I would never dream of driving that truck that far away. Too bug of a gamble and it may set yourself up for a major disapointment. The brakes are another huge issue. I would tow it home, straighten it all out, you will find issues, besides, I would hate to be stranded!

Ernie55
03-23-2007, 10:34 AM
I see some good advice here. I would never dream of driving that truck that far away. Too bug of a gamble and it may set yourself up for a major disapointment. The brakes are another huge issue. I would tow it home, straighten it all out, you will find issues, besides, I would hate to be stranded!

Dick Steinkamp
03-23-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm with Dan and Ernie. Trailer it.

1. It's "reported to be in good driving condition". If that means you haven't driven it, keep in mind that every body's idea of "good driving condition" is different.

2. Bursting a water hose, breaking a fan belt, strange new noises coming out of the engine, engine quitting for no apparent reason can all be fun adventures, but they can also suck up a lot of time (days even ) and a lot of money.

3. Trailering it will save 1/3 the cost of gas compared with driving up there and driving 2 vehicles back. At 15 MPG and $3/gallon, that's $100 more you can spend on your new truck :)

Get it home, go over it with a fine toothed comb, drive it locally for a few hundred miles, fix those things that are weak or fail, THEN have a 500 mile adventure. [8D]

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
03-23-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm with Dan and Ernie. Trailer it.

1. It's "reported to be in good driving condition". If that means you haven't driven it, keep in mind that every body's idea of "good driving condition" is different.

2. Bursting a water hose, breaking a fan belt, strange new noises coming out of the engine, engine quitting for no apparent reason can all be fun adventures, but they can also suck up a lot of time (days even ) and a lot of money.

3. Trailering it will save 1/3 the cost of gas compared with driving up there and driving 2 vehicles back. At 15 MPG and $3/gallon, that's $100 more you can spend on your new truck :)

Get it home, go over it with a fine toothed comb, drive it locally for a few hundred miles, fix those things that are weak or fail, THEN have a 500 mile adventure. [8D]

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Lark Parker
03-23-2007, 12:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Mr Biggs you inadvertently, I'm sure, left out replacing the truck engine with a SBC before daring to hit the road. And with a trailer hitch on the truck he could always pull back the chase vehicle if it has problems.

Lark Parker
03-23-2007, 12:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Mr Biggs you inadvertently, I'm sure, left out replacing the truck engine with a SBC before daring to hit the road. And with a trailer hitch on the truck he could always pull back the chase vehicle if it has problems.

Magnum
03-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Wow, thanks for all the advice, folks. [8D] Especially Mr Biggs' input. :D We're gonna try driving it and can change our mind at any point with the tow vehicle in chase (its a minivan with a hitch, so its not my first choice to pull the truck all the way back to Kansas).

We'll give 'er the ol' college try and report back on Sunday night (if all goes well [:I]) and let you all know how it went.

Mike

Magnum
03-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Wow, thanks for all the advice, folks. [8D] Especially Mr Biggs' input. :D We're gonna try driving it and can change our mind at any point with the tow vehicle in chase (its a minivan with a hitch, so its not my first choice to pull the truck all the way back to Kansas).

We'll give 'er the ol' college try and report back on Sunday night (if all goes well [:I]) and let you all know how it went.

Mike

DilloCrafter
03-23-2007, 03:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lark Parker

I got that one. Had me laughing out loud.

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon
Deep in the heart of Texas

DilloCrafter
03-23-2007, 03:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lark Parker

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon
Deep in the heart of Texas

mbstude
03-23-2007, 03:57 PM
quote:Of course, there is a ton of difference between traveling in the 1/2 ton and a 1 1/2 ton.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, funny you should mention that...
Even at my very young age, I've experienced owning and driving both. (To high school, no less!) [8D] Before I got my pickup, (1/2 ton) I had a '51 2R16 flat bed dump truck. 245 Big Six engine with 4 speed. It would do 45 MPH, and that's all it had. If you got caught in a headwind, you just stopped. :D
If you think a pickup rides rough, then a 1 1/2 ton ain't for you! :D[:o)] The thing might as well not have any springs at all.

Actually, I traded that truck to my grandad for the '59 PU, after I won the darn thing in a raffle. And since my grandad has owned it, that superb running 245 6 suddenly developed a rod knock. [V] It's getting a rebuild sometime; soon hopefully.

quote:OH! And take along your radar detector. There's bound to be one or two downhill stretches along your route![}:)]

Yeah, I need to get one of those... ;)[:o)]
'59 Scotsman PU
'63 Daytona HT

mbstude
03-23-2007, 03:57 PM
quote:Of course, there is a ton of difference between traveling in the 1/2 ton and a 1 1/2 ton.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, funny you should mention that...
Even at my very young age, I've experienced owning and driving both. (To high school, no less!) [8D] Before I got my pickup, (1/2 ton) I had a '51 2R16 flat bed dump truck. 245 Big Six engine with 4 speed. It would do 45 MPH, and that's all it had. If you got caught in a headwind, you just stopped. :D
If you think a pickup rides rough, then a 1 1/2 ton ain't for you! :D[:o)] The thing might as well not have any springs at all.

Actually, I traded that truck to my grandad for the '59 PU, after I won the darn thing in a raffle. And since my grandad has owned it, that superb running 245 6 suddenly developed a rod knock. [V] It's getting a rebuild sometime; soon hopefully.

quote:OH! And take along your radar detector. There's bound to be one or two downhill stretches along your route![}:)]

Yeah, I need to get one of those... ;)[:o)]
'59 Scotsman PU
'63 Daytona HT

GTtim
03-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Lark, you are the best. I've missed your posts, thanks for chiming in. Mike, I'm just west of Madison, if you're in my area and I can be of any assistance, give me a call. I'm in the roster, if you can't find it send me an email and I'll send you my cell phone number.
Happy trails,

Tim K.
'64 R2 GT Hawk

GTtim
03-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Lark, you are the best. I've missed your posts, thanks for chiming in. Mike, I'm just west of Madison, if you're in my area and I can be of any assistance, give me a call. I'm in the roster, if you can't find it send me an email and I'll send you my cell phone number.
Happy trails,

Tim K.
'64 R2 GT Hawk

8E45E
03-23-2007, 04:09 PM
We're gonna try driving it and can change our mind at any point with the tow vehicle in chase (its a minivan with a hitch, so its not my first choice to pull the truck all the way back to Kansas).

In 2005, two of our local members DROVE their 2R5 trucks to the North Central Zone Meet that was held in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan; a distance of 423 miles from Calgary. The wife of the one member, was so afraid of a breakdown, she tagged along with the modern '99 300M.
In Moose Jaw, the 300M blew a transmission cooling line which Larry had to fix of course, before heading back. Needless to say, his wife's confidence in Studebakers went up quite a few points after that weekend.:D

Do it!! Have fun! But take the advice of the others here and give it a thorough going over before departing. If all checks out okay under the hood and chassie, take your time, drive it around the city for an hour before hitting the highway, and enjoy the ride!! [8D]

Mike
[/quote]

8E45E
03-23-2007, 04:09 PM
We're gonna try driving it and can change our mind at any point with the tow vehicle in chase (its a minivan with a hitch, so its not my first choice to pull the truck all the way back to Kansas).

In 2005, two of our local members DROVE their 2R5 trucks to the North Central Zone Meet that was held in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan; a distance of 423 miles from Calgary. The wife of the one member, was so afraid of a breakdown, she tagged along with the modern '99 300M.
In Moose Jaw, the 300M blew a transmission cooling line which Larry had to fix of course, before heading back. Needless to say, his wife's confidence in Studebakers went up quite a few points after that weekend.:D

Do it!! Have fun! But take the advice of the others here and give it a thorough going over before departing. If all checks out okay under the hood and chassie, take your time, drive it around the city for an hour before hitting the highway, and enjoy the ride!! [8D]

Mike
[/quote]

rockne10
03-23-2007, 07:37 PM
It's been a few decades but I remember "the old college try". Memories and stories were made. The future was boundless. Zen and the Art of Studebaker Maintenance. Everything will be fine or it won't; and, if it isn't, everything will be fine.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

rockne10
03-23-2007, 07:37 PM
It's been a few decades but I remember "the old college try". Memories and stories were made. The future was boundless. Zen and the Art of Studebaker Maintenance. Everything will be fine or it won't; and, if it isn't, everything will be fine.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

2R2
03-23-2007, 08:04 PM
I've got a '49 2R-5 with the champ six and overdrive. As long as you don't plan on going over 55, it's not bad. With the overdrive engaged, the sweet spot for going down the highway is 50-55, while I have had mine up to 65 the engine lets you know it is not happy. I rebuilt the entire brake system, and I would say they are up to the task, as long as you remember they were designed for a pre-interstate world. The ride is really no worse than my daily driver '94 Chevy S-10, though it is harder on your nerves, as I am constantly watching out for cars cutting on front of me, making steering corrections (I am running bias ply tires) etc. I have the added challenge of fighting my way through Chicagoland traffic; when I get it out on quieter, country roads, the truck seems happier. If you are over 6', legroom is tight.
These trucks are amazingly simple to work on (even I can do it!) Good luck and keep us posted on your trip.

Eric
'49 2R-5 (original survivor)
'63 R2-Lark (barely surviving)

2R2
03-23-2007, 08:04 PM
I've got a '49 2R-5 with the champ six and overdrive. As long as you don't plan on going over 55, it's not bad. With the overdrive engaged, the sweet spot for going down the highway is 50-55, while I have had mine up to 65 the engine lets you know it is not happy. I rebuilt the entire brake system, and I would say they are up to the task, as long as you remember they were designed for a pre-interstate world. The ride is really no worse than my daily driver '94 Chevy S-10, though it is harder on your nerves, as I am constantly watching out for cars cutting on front of me, making steering corrections (I am running bias ply tires) etc. I have the added challenge of fighting my way through Chicagoland traffic; when I get it out on quieter, country roads, the truck seems happier. If you are over 6', legroom is tight.
These trucks are amazingly simple to work on (even I can do it!) Good luck and keep us posted on your trip.

Eric
'49 2R-5 (original survivor)
'63 R2-Lark (barely surviving)

HookedonStudies
03-23-2007, 09:07 PM
I've done the adventure both ways... most recently trailered home the 62 Hawk (540 miles) Maybe I'm getting cautious in my old age but the unknowns of a new (to you) vehicle and the slower speeds of the back roads (makes the trip many hours longer - even with no problems) have convinced me to get her home first and branch out from there. Best of Luck to you though - and I'm looking forward to your recap Sunday night.

55 Commander
58 Transtar
62 GT Hawk
66 Cruiser

HookedonStudies
03-23-2007, 09:07 PM
I've done the adventure both ways... most recently trailered home the 62 Hawk (540 miles) Maybe I'm getting cautious in my old age but the unknowns of a new (to you) vehicle and the slower speeds of the back roads (makes the trip many hours longer - even with no problems) have convinced me to get her home first and branch out from there. Best of Luck to you though - and I'm looking forward to your recap Sunday night.

55 Commander
58 Transtar
62 GT Hawk
66 Cruiser

Magnum
03-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Made it back, folks. I recounted the trip in a new topic here:
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9348

Mike

Magnum
03-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Made it back, folks. I recounted the trip in a new topic here: