X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love this cheap Avanti

He says:
    "THERE APPEARS TO BE SOME ROT ON THE SHEET METAL BAFFLING ON THE UNDERCARRIAGE. THIS CAN EASILY BE REPAIRED OR REMOVED AND IS NON STRUCTURAL."

Translation: The hog troughs that support the body to the frame are rotted out and will,need a $3000 repair before the other door falls off. (it'll likly need a new frame too)"

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Black
    63 GT Hawk
    62 Daytona HT

Gee seems like there was more damage done to it at restoration shop than was restored.Alternator little noisy?As a shop owneri think it was my responsibility to find him new seats if they were stolen on my property.That what insurance is for

Comment

Rare limited production model with the no seat/no bumper/no key option.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

All the cheap Avanti's are coming out of the wood work after seeing the bidding on Richard's new Avanti.

Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
        63 R2 4 speed GT Black
        63 GT Hawk
        62 Daytona HT

JDP Maryland

Comment

I'm a bad man.[}]Buying a cheap Avanti and all.Just to make things perfectly clear,I did not start out with the intention of buying the lowest priced Avanti I could find. I looked for an appropriately valued Avanti.My wife wanted us to bid/buy the light blue Avanti that was on eBay around the 1st of April. It was a #1 car and went for a #1 price,22K IIRC,and worth every bit of it.To tell you the truth I don't want a #1, I want a nice car that I am comfortable to drive without a bug getting mashed on the windshield. It looks as though the red Avanti car is off eBay. Last bid I saw was 760.00[no reserve] and about a week to go. I bet it comes back with a reserve. It doesn't matter anyway, I'll have my R-1 shortly. RD

Comment

I sent the owner an e-mail last night to bring him up to speed. He was not angry and inquired as to what I thought the car was worth. I gave him an estimate, but also advised him that he might want to revise his listing to fully explain the condition of the hog troughs and add pictures of the underside so people can make an informed decision. He also indicates that he has the bumpers.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
            1948 M-16 grain truck
            1949 2R16A grain truck
            1949 2R17A fire truck
            1955 E-38 grain truck
            1957 3E-40 flatbed
            1961 6E-28 grain truck
            1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
            1962 Champ pickup
            1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
            1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
            1964 Cruiser
            And various other "treasures"

Comment

I saw another 81 Avanti at a swap meet one ime, it had NO paint on it, and the hog troughs were missing. The seller did have fiberglass ones that were included. [:0] And he still wanted $9000 for it, and the interior was shot too! [xx(]

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
              South Georgia Chapter Newsletter Editor
              63 Daytona HT (project)
              51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
              52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g&gt
              MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
              Click my name and check out "Links".

Comment

When exactly DID Avantis become worth nothing?? I remember back in
                the 80's when you couldnt get an Avanti frame for under 2500 bucks.
                Now they are worth squat and the Hawks are worth more? This, after I
                finally got an Avanti, and totalled my Hawk.

At least my house went from 189,000 to over 600,000 in 5 years.[:I]

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

63-64 Avanti's have gone nuts in the last year or so. Many nice examples bringing in the 20-30K range recently.

Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
                  64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                  63 R2 4 speed GT Black
                  63 GT Hawk
                  62 Daytona HT

JDP Maryland

Comment

Avantis that say Studebaker have come in to their own. There are some of the later models that I would be ashamed to attach to any Studebaker heritage.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

63-64 Avanti's have gone nuts in the last year or so. Many nice examples bringing in the 20-30K range recently.
                      Not that value was what drove me to buy one, but it was strange to
                      see such a rare vehicle drop so much, they have gone up, but its not
                      a good sign with fellow Stude nuts make some of the comments on this
                      thread, if WE dont value them ... who will??[B)]

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Avantis that say Studebaker have come in to their own. There are some of the later models that I would be ashamed to attach to any Studebaker heritage.
                      Oh!! I hear you on that!! Like THIS thing??

Too bad they uncovered it, I liked the tablecloth look better.

Then they got sued by GM for copying the Hummer (but didnt counter sue
                      for GM copying the Wagonaire) - so they had to restyle it :

Studebaker had a history of "firsts", and this thing is the biggest
                      ugliest SUV yet, and DEAD LAST in a dead market. While GM and Ford
                      have these things piling up on Dealers lots, Avanti thinks they can
                      sell rebodied Ford SUVs for 85,000+. Wow!

I pleaded with them to kill this thing, and to put the money toward a
                      Wagonaire, sliding roof, muscle wagon like the Magnum. Create their
                      own chassis, and use it for both the Avanti and wagon. Call up Art
                      Morrison, and get his help. Use the same mounting points as the first
                      Avanti, so they can recoup some engineering costs by selling updated
                      frames to people with rotted Avantis. Finally to use the 03 Cobra
                      wheels like I did on my '63 Avanti. I never got a reply (just a blurb
                      on AOAI telling me that the SUV market is BOOMING). They did however
                      use my idea about the 03 Cobra wheels, so I bet the marketing director
                      who got my email must have got a raise off "his" idea. Oh well, thats
                      "business" for yah!

Tom
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Not that value was what drove me to buy one, but it was strange to
                        see such a rare vehicle drop so much, they have gone up, but its not
                        a good sign with fellow Stude nuts make some of the comments on this
                        thread, if WE dont value them ... who will??[B)]

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Oh!! I hear you on that!! Like THIS thing??

Too bad they uncovered it, I liked the tablecloth look better.

Then they got sued by GM for copying the Hummer (but didnt counter sue
                        for GM copying the Wagonaire) - so they had to restyle it :

Studebaker had a history of "firsts", and this thing is the biggest
                        ugliest SUV yet, and DEAD LAST in a dead market. While GM and Ford
                        have these things piling up on Dealers lots, Avanti thinks they can
                        sell rebodied Ford SUVs for 85,000+. Wow!

I pleaded with them to kill this thing, and to put the money toward a
                        Wagonaire, sliding roof, muscle wagon like the Magnum. Create their
                        own chassis, and use it for both the Avanti and wagon. Call up Art
                        Morrison, and get his help. Use the same mounting points as the first
                        Avanti, so they can recoup some engineering costs by selling updated
                        frames to people with rotted Avantis. Finally to use the 03 Cobra
                        wheels like I did on my '63 Avanti. I never got a reply (just a blurb
                        on AOAI telling me that the SUV market is BOOMING). They did however
                        use my idea about the 03 Cobra wheels, so I bet the marketing director
                        who got my email must have got a raise off "his" idea. Oh well, thats
                        "business" for yah!

Tom
                        Actually, I kind of liked the XUV. A big, capable, roomy SUV is very useful in my line of work (oilfield). I have to make do with a runty little Suburban.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

For years "we" all "bitched" that Avantis although much rarer than "vettes" returned know where near the cash the bowtie did upon sale, now we are all "a-buzz" because Avanti prices have finally risen to where they should have been for years...trouble is there are those out there that want to buy on the cheap ...but want Trump money upon re-sale!

I for one hope the prices continue to rise, then I can expect to receive a price worthy of such an automobile when my example is put on the block.

Comment

Working...
                          X