PDA

View Full Version : The near mythic 185 Ohv 6

Jeff T.
06-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Happy father's day weekend:)

Years ago (almost 15+) I bought a 1962 ohv six block and late 1950's 185 crank and intended to build a 185 Ohv 6. I communicated with a few other folks across the nation that had the same thought of stroking the Ohv 6 but in my case work, graduate school, a century old house, marriage and now a family have pushed this project to the side.

I'm considering working on this engine again and I have to wonder...

Has anyone out there in the stude universe ever got this 185 ohv six idea to work?

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
The Replacements.

mbstude
06-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Not that I know of. Good luck with it. It sure would be cool though and I think it could be done. I'm bidding on a split manifold for a OHV 6 right now on ebay. Maybe I'll get it...

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
South Georgia Chapter Newsletter Editor
63 Daytona HT (project)
51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g>)
MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
Click my name and check out "Links".

r1lark
06-17-2006, 10:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jeff T.

Years ago (almost 15+) I bought a 1962 ohv six block and late 1950's 185 crank and intended to build a 185 Ohv 6. Has anyone out there in the stude universe ever got this 185 ohv six idea to work?
Jeff T.

Jeff,

I do know that Ron Dame in Asheville NC is working on a 185 ci OHV six. Email me off this forum (r1lark@aol.com), and I will give you what I hope is still his correct email address.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html

64R1
06-20-2006, 12:38 AM

Happy father's day weekend:)

Years ago (almost 15+) I bought a 1962 ohv six block and late 1950's 185 crank and intended to build a 185 Ohv 6. I communicated with a few other folks across the nation that had the same thought of stroking the Ohv 6 but in my case work, graduate school, a century old house, marriage and now a family have pushed this project to the side.

I'm considering working on this engine again and I have to wonder...

Has anyone out there in the stude universe ever got this 185 ohv six idea to work?

Jeff T.

The Replacements.

64R1
06-20-2006, 01:04 AM
I have built 2 OHV 185 6s. One is in a 49 Champion bus coupe and the other is in a 54 4dr Champ. It is easy to build one, just use 39 to 58 pistons. The compression ratio will be about 9 to 1 so it may need 89 octane gas. The horsepower will be about 120. The 54 can do 0 to 60 in 14 seconds with 3 and OD and 3.92 rear axle. The 49 can do it in 12 seconds with 3-OD and 4.09 rear axle. Both get about 18-19 mpg city and 22+ highway. I used the Carter WE carbs that came on the flatheads. Do not do anything to increase the power beyond 120hp if you are using the T96 tranny or you will find the torque limits of that T96. The 185 should not be revved higher than 4500 rpm with stock pistons and rods or you may find the limits of those too. Good luck.

PackardV8
06-20-2006, 07:31 AM
An ohv 185 built for a 1956 Flight Hawk in 1963 cured me of ever wanting another Champion. It will make more torque and make the car perform better in traffic, but don't push it hard. As stated above, the longer stroke doesn't like to rev, but spend the money to have it professionally balanced and it will live longer.

In the end, the higher compression and running it harder made the infamous cracks in the valve seat area just show up sooner.

Should have gone with the V8 in a Hawk in the first place if I wanted to go fast.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8

Jeff T.
06-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Yay!!

Somebody did get one (or more) of these beasts to work.

Tell me, did you have to do anything special to the block to use the 185 crank? Some over the years had said that the block would need machining to avoid the bottom of the rods from smacking the block because of the extra stroke.

I thought about using the enging in my "ugly" truck maid out of the front half of a 63 station wagon.

Jeff T.

The Replacements.

64R1
06-25-2006, 10:23 PM
No, you will have no problems with rod clearance with a 185 crank in a OHV 6 block.

Yay!!

Somebody did get one (or more) of these beasts to work.

Tell me, did you have to do anything special to the block to use the 185 crank? Some over the years had said that the block would need machining to avoid the bottom of the rods from smacking the block because of the extra stroke.

I thought about using the enging in my "ugly" truck maid out of the front half of a 63 station wagon.

Jeff T.

The Replacements.

64R1
06-25-2006, 10:41 PM
I started with 2 uncracked heads from 61s, I installed HD exhaust valves and cced the combustion chambers and found the compression ratio was really 8.2 to 1. So I have not had any problems with head cracking. I have a spare 61 head with high mileage but no cracks. Seems like 63-64 heads crack more than 61-62s.
quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

An ohv 185 built for a 1956 Flight Hawk in 1963 cured me of ever wanting another Champion. It will make more torque and make the car perform better in traffic, but don't push it hard. As stated above, the longer stroke doesn't like to rev, but spend the money to have it professionally balanced and it will live longer.

In the end, the higher compression and running it harder made the infamous cracks in the valve seat area just show up sooner.

Should have gone with the V8 in a Hawk in the first place if I wanted to go fast.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8