This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Avanti sold

Rest assured I will not accept the high bid on the car. I have already spoken to the winning bidder and worked out a deal, This is just nuts:

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Black
    63 R2 4 speed GT White
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti
    62 Daytona HT
    53 Coupe

Maybe it's the new issue of HCC.[:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

John,

It may be time for me to haul my maroon '64 R-2 4 speed to you and let you put new brakes in it, shoot it with a coat of paint, install new carpet and put the bumpers back on and see what it will bring!

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
      1948 M-16 grain truck
      1949 2R16A grain truck
      1949 2R17A fire truck
      1955 E-38 grain truck
      1957 3E-40 flatbed
      1961 6E-28 grain truck
      1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
      1962 Champ pickup
      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
      1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
      1964 Cruiser
      And various other "treasures"

Comment

I do have a pool of bidders that follow my auctions and tend to bid higher then I'd expect. I fear that one of them will lose control, bid way more then the car is worth, then blame me.

Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
        63 R2 4 speed GT Black
        63 R2 4 speed GT White
        63 GT Hawk
        63 Avanti
        62 Daytona HT
        53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

Hey JP,its not your fault,you told them in the ad what the car was. I can't believe you won't take their money,especially if they are in to old cars and know a bit about them.

Comment

Why would they blame you ? Isn't that what Ebay is about, sell to the highest bidder ? Nobody is holding a gun to their head forcing them to bid.. Besides, for 15,000 you could get 2 or 3 more cheap Avantis...

Comment

I don't think so bonehead007! The Studebaker hobby is all about INTEGRITY! If JP accepts $15,000 for a car that needs a $3-5,000.00 paint job, has been put togather with only some restoration, other items just bolted back togather (where safety was not involved, of course) and perfection and long term durability were not addressed; then what goes around, will come around to John & all of us! SDCer's will no longer be trusted! John is definetely doing the right thing to discount this car, because a truly knowledgeable Stude. restorer like John knows that a unrestored non-R2, non-Air conditioned, Automatic is not worth over $10-12,000.00 even with a nice original interior.
              Rich. SDC Member since 1968

"
              quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

Why would they blame you ? Isn't that what Ebay is about, sell to the highest bidder ? Nobody is holding a gun to their head forcing them to bid.. Besides, for 15,000 you could get 2 or 3 more cheap Avantis...
              "

StudeRich
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

"I don't think so bonehead007! The Studebaker hobby is all about INTEGRITY! If JP accepts $15,000 for a car that needs a $3-5,000.00 paint job, has been put togather with only some restoration, other items just bolted back togather (where safety was not involved, of course) and perfection and long term durability were not addressed; then what goes around, will come around to John & all of us! SDCer's will no longer be trusted! John is definetely doing the right thing to discount this car, because a truly knowledgeable Stude. restorer like John knows that a unrestored non-R2, non-Air conditioned, Automatic is not worth over $10-12,000.00 even with a nice original interior.
                Rich. SDC Member since 1968"
                Bull****. That ain't how SDC works or how E-Bay works.This is the real world baby,if you set yourself up to be shorn like a spring lamb,thats your business.
                I realize JP's a bit different from the rest of us because its his business,making a profit on Studebakers,but its not like the ad wasn't truthful,well spelled out whats wrong with the car,and the buyers forwarned. If the buyer comes to get the car personally and starts to whine,Id give him some of his green back,MABEY,if hes a nice sort. But how far do you have to go to save people from there own stupidity?. 15 large is a lot of money to me,and mabey to a lot of us,but to many its pocket change. What if the buyer is one of those types,he will probaly hire some pros to finish the car and feel like a king cruising in his 30k Avanti.
                If I was John,Id just be doing my happy dance.

Comment

Sure, John could take the money and run, but I can tell you my respect for him and his business (and confidence in him) have really increased.
                  It sounds like it would actually sour his attitude towards himself and the way he conducts his business if he went against his conscience.

From what I've read about the Studebaker brothers, I think they would have done the same thing. You can't put a price on integrity. That's one reason why I admire J.M. Studebaker and NOT Mr. Henry Ford.
                  "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Let me use another example when it makes sense to adjust the final price of a auction. Let's say I buy a part from SASCO that has a retail price of $100 using my discount and it's bid to say $500 by a few bidders that do not know about SASCO. If they later join the club, find out about SASCO are they going to have a warm fuzzy feeling about paying me 5 times the value of part out of ignorance ?

If I paid $80 for the part and it sold for $10-$20 over retail, that's a profit, $400 over retail would be robbery.

Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
                    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                    63 R2 4 speed GT Black
                    63 R2 4 speed GT White
                    63 GT Hawk
                    63 Avanti
                    62 Daytona HT
                    53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

I'm not dnying JDP's integrity. He's helped me with some problems that I've had on my Avanti and I appreciate that. I also respect the fact that he has the respect and talent in restoring Studebakers and keeping them running and alive. My only point is that if , hypothetically, there were 2 bidders who wanted the cheap Avanti and bid it up to 30,000, it would be there own fault for not researching the true worth of an Avanti and the cost to restore it to whatever shape they wanted it in.

Look at what an Amphicar got at this years Barrett-Jackson auction, over 120,000...b4 that, you could have picked one up on Ebay, had it professionally restored and still gotten off cheaper.

Anyone b4 bidding on any car should do their research than bid what they feel is the right price or what they can afford.

Comment

I agree with JDP's philosophy. It is not just a matter of idealism, because taking advantage of a buyers ignorance can come back to haunt you, later. And, look at the "poop Hawk" case we read about here awhile back. In point of fact, SASCO had a set of PACKARD letters on EBAy when I first got the Packebaker. They must have seen me coming. I was top bid and paid nearly $100 for the letters. Come to find out, Sasco normally sells the set for around $80. So, now I am an educated buyer.

Comment

I'll give you another example. I'm getting ready to get the Avanti blasted and painted. I went to one "restorer" up here in NJ. Very friendly, have a beer, bla bla bla. When it came to talk price, he became very defensive. Basically, after I talked to a few of his customers, he wanted an open checkbook. After a month or so of looking, I found one of the guys I work with has a relative who does body work and is giving me a price.

Restoring a car is great. Its a great hobby, great therapy but, its also not cheap. I'm keeping my cars once their done and hope to enjoy them for many years.

I saw those same letters on Ebay and was almost tempted to bid on tnem but, I checked and saw them cheaper elsewhere. I always keep my Studebaker Intl Catalog handy.

Comment

quote:[u]You can't put a price on integrity. </u>
                            Amen, Brother, end of discussion! Threads like this always interest me, because it gives me a very good idea of who I will and will not do business with! Don't let this information keep you from expressing your views, as there is valuable insight being gained here.

sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

You have to be able to go to sleep at night comfortably

Norm
                              58 Transtar 1 ton dually PU
                              58 2 door wagon
                              Davenport, Fl
                              Norm
                              58 Transtar 1 ton dually PU
                              58 2 door wagon
                              Davenport, Fl

Comment

Working...
                              X