This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studebaker p. u.

Hi. I just got a hold of a 1955 pu short bed, and a 49 long bed. both are in rugh shape the 49 has no frame or moter. the 55 is complete except it has a t. bird 390 (I think) and an auto trans.The 49 actually has a car GM frame stuck under it. the price was $300 for both. Do the doors interchange? Is there a place to get the bottom of the doors (panels the curved part). Can I still get a windshield for the 55? I also need a trim piece on thje front of the 55, the one that says studebaker. I really dont need the 49, and would sell it. I am very new at sutde's and need all kinds of info. I live in western oregon. (rain and rust) tanks 2mules

The doors DO interchange. Classic Enterprises makes the lower door sections you want. And Phillips glass has new windshields. The '55 nameplate is gonna be tough to find but watch ebay - they do come up from time to time.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It is my understanding that Studebaker changed metal suppliers in 1954 and that the earlier and later sheet metal have different paint adherence qualities. I believe this was discussed on the Studebaker Truck Talk site a couple of years ago, you may be able to do a search for the thread.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
      1948 M-16 grain truck
      1949 2R16A grain truck
      1949 2R17A fire truck
      1955 E-38 grain truck
      1957 3E-40 flatbed
      1961 6E-28 grain truck
      1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
      1962 Champ pickup
      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
      1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
      1964 Cruiser
      And various other "treasures"

Comment

Welcome, 2

Have you joined SDC?
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

The doors DO interchange. Classic Enterprises makes the lower door sections you want. And Phillips glass has new windshields. The '55 nameplate is gonna be tough to find but watch ebay - they do come up from time to time.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Welcome, 2mules!

Do you need a hood ornament? I have a spare, with some pitting and a hole in the top of it. The hood ornaments were unique for the '55 models, and came in two flavors: an "S" carved in the front of the ornament for the six cylinder (like mine) and "8" for the new eight cylinder motors available in 1/2 ton trucks for the first time in 1955 (hence the change from "R series" to "E Series").

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon
            Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Working...
            X