PDA

View Full Version : Amp Gauge Reading

HUB
06-14-2006, 06:48 PM
[?]Just wondering what is considered a "normal" reading for the amp gauge in my '63 GT Hawk. At highway speeds running in the 2300 - 2500rpm range my amp gauge is reading a steady +30 to 35 with no lights on. Last season it wasn't. Only thing changed since then is a new fan belt. Battery was new in Aug. '04. Any cause for concern?
Thanks, HUB

N8N
06-14-2006, 07:05 PM
sure. IMHO the amp gauge should read only slightly positive unless your battery is discharged. Have you driven far enough that the battery is fully charged? If so I would have a look at that voltage regulator. Also check your voltage at the battery, should not be over 14.7V with the engine running, if it is, again, check the VR.

Another long shot possibility is that the battery is internally shorted and is drawing current.

In any case the short answer to your question is that yes, there probably is something that needs your attention.

good luck

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

HUB
06-14-2006, 08:18 PM
Thanks Nate - I'll get that checked out right away. :)HUB

Roscomacaw
06-15-2006, 12:00 PM
About the only time that Amp gage should show that high an output is for a few minutes after cranking. Once the battery's charge is topped up after starting, it's rare that it goes over 15 amps. If you're running A/C with the lights on or other current draws, maybe 30. But not just cruisin' down the road with not much drawing current.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

N8N
06-15-2006, 01:36 PM
On a stock Stude, the only items I know of that don't go through the ammeter are the horn and the starter, so unless you have accessories tied directly to the +ive battery post you should never see significant charge unless the battery actually needs it. Now I haven't dealt with a car with PW, power seat, A/C etc. so I'm not sure how the factory dealt with those accessories. Personally I'd rather tie accessories right to the back of the alternator if they're high-current accessories, that way the ammeter will still read correctly.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel