PDA

View Full Version : 56 wagon paint question

KGlowacky
06-14-2006, 09:20 AM
There is a 56 pelhan wagon currently on e-bay for sale. I have an exact copy I am restoring. This car has a white firewall and inter fenders. Mine has white interfenders and an Tangerine (body color) firewall. Does anyone know which is correct? Although they say this car is pink and white I beleive it is tangerine and white (as mine) but looks pink (a very faded tangerine) as Stude did not offer pink in 56. Thanks

Dwain G.
06-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Possibly your wagon was assembled in the Los Angeles plant? This difference has been verified on the 1956 Golden Hawk. It would seem logical all other LA vehicles were painted this way.

Dwain G.

Roscomacaw
06-14-2006, 12:43 PM
The explanation "could" be that this Pelham on ebay (about 20 miles from me) was built in the LA plant. '56 was the last year any Studes came out of that plant. There WERE differences in the way LA cars colors were done under the hood and in the trunk. This could explain any difference you detect.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

KGlowacky
06-14-2006, 05:46 PM
If I assume this then I will assume my car was assembled in South Bend, I have my production order (from the Museum) and it does not say where it was assembled. (or does it?). I will paint mine as I got it. Thank You

Dwain G.
06-14-2006, 06:00 PM
It does, but in a covert way. On your serial number plate (on driver's door hinge pillar) a South Bend car would begin with G-13______, and the 1 looks more like a capitol I. An LA car would start with G-93_____. Also, the LA engines have an L prefix in their serial number. Most LA built cars would have been destined for western US delivery.

Dwain G.

N8N
06-14-2006, 06:44 PM
check your shop manual vs. your car's serial number. that should tell you where your car was assembled. Assuming all cars were the same as the 56J:

Vernon cars: inner fenders painted same color as top of outer fenders. Firewall matches inner fenders.

South Bend cars: inner fenders painted same color as top of outer fenders. Firewall matches main body color (lower.)

HTH

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

KGlowacky
06-14-2006, 11:28 PM
OK, good job, My # is G1359211, my interfenders are the same color as my top outside fenders and the firewall is the color of the lower fenders. I have a South Bend car and the e-bay car is a cal. car. Maybe I should buy this one so I can document all the diff. Or better yet I'll let someone else buy the car and compare notes. Thanks to everyone.

KGlowacky
06-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Also my is a 56G D4 not 56J. Don't know if that makes any diff.