PDA

View Full Version : Supercharged Champ

Transtar56
09-13-2005, 06:29 AM
I have to agree with the seller,this would cause alot of discussion with the hood up,even among the Stude folk.
Wasn't there one,or pssibly two R2 Champs that left the factory this way?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-STUDEBAKER-CHAMPION-P-U-SUPERCHARGED_W0QQitemZ4575114214QQcategoryZ6466QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

52hawk
09-13-2005, 07:18 AM
Just got done with my daily 'ebay check' is that a home-made airbox?

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!

52hawk
09-13-2005, 07:18 AM
Just got done with my daily 'ebay check' is that a home-made airbox?

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!

BobPalma
09-13-2005, 07:38 AM
Yes, two R2-powered Champs were built: A black one that went out west and survives, and a white one that was delivered new through Snider Studebaker in Indianapolis. The white one has not been accounted for. I had the privilege of actually seeing and inspecting :) the white one when it was brand new at Snider before it was delivered, so it is no urban legend! [^]BP

BP

BobPalma
09-13-2005, 07:38 AM
Yes, two R2-powered Champs were built: A black one that went out west and survives, and a white one that was delivered new through Snider Studebaker in Indianapolis. The white one has not been accounted for. I had the privilege of actually seeing and inspecting :) the white one when it was brand new at Snider before it was delivered, so it is no urban legend! [^]BP

BP

Transtar56
09-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks Bob.
That one that survives,is it in good condition?
Owned by a SDC member?

Transtar56
09-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks Bob.
Owned by a SDC member?

Mike
09-13-2005, 11:28 AM
That's a VS-57, variable ratio, supercharger. The mount looks like a '57 or'58 Golden Hawk.
If the air cleaner came from an Avanti, it's a '64. It's neat the way it gets cool air through the fender.
I suppose it's a 4 bbl in the box?
Is that an "R2" oval on the fender?
Mike M.

Mike
09-13-2005, 11:28 AM
That's a VS-57, variable ratio, supercharger. The mount looks like a '57 or'58 Golden Hawk.
If the air cleaner came from an Avanti, it's a '64. It's neat the way it gets cool air through the fender.
I suppose it's a 4 bbl in the box?
Is that an "R2" oval on the fender?
Mike M.

BobPalma
09-13-2005, 12:24 PM
:)Yes, but I'd have to look up the details as to where it is and who owns it. That would take some digging, and my "shovel" is down right now!

It went out west and as far as I know, never got particularly rusty. It's had one or two SDC owners and unless somebody tore it up recently (unlikely), it's still a nice truck. All the information has been in Jet Thrust News within the last several years. JTN is available from Editor Ron Ellerbe in southern CA, although I think he is trying to shed that editorial job.;)

The white one was delivered here in Indianapolis, but I don't know to whom it went or where it is. This is not a kind climate, so I have my fears...:(BP

quote:Originally posted by Transtar56

Thanks Bob.
Owned by a SDC member?

BP

BobPalma
09-13-2005, 12:24 PM
:)Yes, but I'd have to look up the details as to where it is and who owns it. That would take some digging, and my "shovel" is down right now!

It went out west and as far as I know, never got particularly rusty. It's had one or two SDC owners and unless somebody tore it up recently (unlikely), it's still a nice truck. All the information has been in Jet Thrust News within the last several years. JTN is available from Editor Ron Ellerbe in southern CA, although I think he is trying to shed that editorial job.;)

The white one was delivered here in Indianapolis, but I don't know to whom it went or where it is. This is not a kind climate, so I have my fears...:(BP

quote:Originally posted by Transtar56

Thanks Bob.
Owned by a SDC member?

BP

studegary
09-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Another common error that seems to be growing in popularity is in this listing.
A Champion is a Studebaker car model.
A Champ is a Studebaker truck model.
Is this the truck that Dave Thibeault (T-bow) built up a number of years ago? Dave has been vending from a Ford in recent years.

studegary
09-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Another common error that seems to be growing in popularity is in this listing.
A Champion is a Studebaker car model.
A Champ is a Studebaker truck model.
Is this the truck that Dave Thibeault (T-bow) built up a number of years ago? Dave has been vending from a Ford in recent years.

Waydon
04-07-2007, 01:29 PM
I saw on "My Classic Car" about 2 weeks ago after the new 2007 season started that the black Supercharged Studie Champ Pick Up was originally made by the factory as a tow/support vehicle for the factory Avanti record runs at Bonneville and that this truck is currently owned by a large Studebaker collector in Arizona....Larkster(formally Waydon)

Waydon
04-07-2007, 01:29 PM
I saw on "My Classic Car" about 2 weeks ago after the new 2007 season started that the black Supercharged Studie Champ Pick Up was originally made by the factory as a tow/support vehicle for the factory Avanti record runs at Bonneville and that this truck is currently owned by a large Studebaker collector in Arizona....Larkster(formally Waydon)

DEEPNHOCK
04-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Man-o-man..
How far back are you readin'? ;)
I was wondering why the link to the Ebay ad didn't work, and then I saw it was a 2005 post[:0]..
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Waydon

DEEPNHOCK
04-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Man-o-man..
How far back are you readin'? ;)
I was wondering why the link to the Ebay ad didn't work, and then I saw it was a 2005 post[:0]..
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Waydon

Green53
04-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Yes the black one is in Chandler, AZ. It is the one that was recently on My Classic Car. The truck is in decent shape but the owner plans a full restoration. I have a picture of the engine compartment that I took about a year ago.
Denny L

Green53
04-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Yes the black one is in Chandler, AZ. It is the one that was recently on My Classic Car. The truck is in decent shape but the owner plans a full restoration. I have a picture of the engine compartment that I took about a year ago.
Denny L

StudeRich
04-08-2007, 02:25 AM
Nope; wrong, the R2 Champ didn't go to Studes West, they still have the original Red '64 259 O.D. 122 WB parts truck that was bought new by Frost & French Studebaker in Los Angeles where I worked. I drove it a few times. Studebakers West would be only the 2nd. owner of that very sharp red truck.

I previously posted this info on the Jet Thrust website. The R2 Paxton Div. truck was a 112 WB (wide Box) and had a R2 engine, 4 speed (T-10) and Avanti disc. brakes and was first sold by Paxton Products to a Parts man at the dealership my Dad worked at: Frank H. Afton Co. in Inglewood, CA at the time it was Medium Gray, and had a 3.73 TT rear axle. He did a little street racing with it (on THE Blvd.-Hawthorne of course!)Saturday nights and surprised a lot of brand X's! I lost track of which SDC member has it now. It would have to be the Black one, looks like Bob Palma, Denny L, and Waydon have tracked it down. Good job Detectives! [^]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

StudeRich
04-08-2007, 02:25 AM
Nope; wrong, the R2 Champ didn't go to Studes West, they still have the original Red '64 259 O.D. 122 WB parts truck that was bought new by Frost & French Studebaker in Los Angeles where I worked. I drove it a few times. Studebakers West would be only the 2nd. owner of that very sharp red truck.

I previously posted this info on the Jet Thrust website. The R2 Paxton Div. truck was a 112 WB (wide Box) and had a R2 engine, 4 speed (T-10) and Avanti disc. brakes and was first sold by Paxton Products to a Parts man at the dealership my Dad worked at: Frank H. Afton Co. in Inglewood, CA at the time it was Medium Gray, and had a 3.73 TT rear axle. He did a little street racing with it (on THE Blvd.-Hawthorne of course!)Saturday nights and surprised a lot of brand X's! I lost track of which SDC member has it now. It would have to be the Black one, looks like Bob Palma, Denny L, and Waydon have tracked it down. Good job Detectives! [^]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA