PDA

View Full Version : 48 CHAMPION

48stud
06-13-2006, 08:26 AM
I HAVE BEEN RESTORING MY CHAMPION I AM NEW TO THESE STUDES I HAVE JUST REPLACED MY EXHAUST MAN. NEW GASKETS NEW THERMASTAT GOT RADIATOR REDONE FLUSHED SYSTEM HOW DO I KNOW IF COOLANT IS GETTING TO THE BLOCK MY TEMP GAUGE IS BROKEN IT ALWAYS READS 212 I DONT KNOW IF ITS JUST ME BUT IT SEEMS THAT THE MOTOR HEATS UP FAST AND HOT IHAVE ADDED 2 GALS OF COOLANT CAN SOMEONE HELP?

CHAMP
06-13-2006, 10:19 AM
First thing to do is find out how hot it is really getting. Any kind of thermometer that you can stick in rad. fill hole. next you need to check for leaks. Could be anything from rad. cap to hoses, rad. itself, freeze plugs etc. Champ

Roscomacaw
06-13-2006, 02:37 PM
You need a "Candy" thermometer. It's range goes high enough to reflect the coolant temp. A meat or outdoor thermometer won't get it.

Take the radiator cap off (with extreme caution if the engine's alreay hot!) and insert the thermometer. You might note if coolant can be seen to be flowing under the cap. It ought to be visibly flowing or swirling if the engine's up to temp. IF not, and the engine's hot, probably your thermostat isn't opening OR (worst case scenario)there's a blockage somewhere or the water pump isn't pumping[xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

ROADRACELARK
06-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Bob,
If my memory is "on line" today, that car has a mechanical temp. guage right[?] Seems I remember from one green w/black fenders M-16 that I got from this Stude nut [:o)] in Smyrna. Do you remember that guy???:D
Dan

ROADRACELARK
06-13-2006, 03:14 PM
OOPs![:0] Stopped to soon,,,,I wasn't sure if the cars had electric temp. guages by then. You know they have those laser temp guns pretty cheep now. I bought one just to see how accurate it is ...right on the money! Got it from an outfit here called Harbour Freight, on sale 39.95.
Thats beats getting burned anytime ;) (no pun intended[8D]
Dan

Dick Steinkamp
06-13-2006, 03:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by 48stud

IHAVE ADDED 2 GALS OF COOLANT CAN SOMEONE HELP?

2 gallons of coolant (antifreeze) sounds like way too much. Antifreeze is not a great conductor of heat. In addition, you max out on freeze protection at a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze. I wouldn't put more than a gallon of antifreeze in that car and the rest water. Even less antifreeze if you don't need the freeze protection. It will cool better.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Roscomacaw
06-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks Dan. Wow, I wouldn't have remembered that you got that old M-series logging truck I had. And here's a question for you. I've been under the impression for years that thing was badged as an M17. Do you recall by any chance??? It seems it wore M17 on it's data plate but had a Champion engine in it. Yes - no???

Did you end up with the 15-foot long Studebaker sign I got with the truck??? Can't remember what happened to it either. I was thinking maybe I refused to take it when I picked up the truck - too long ago.[V] Brain cells poopin' out.[xx(]

BTW, thanks for the tip on the remote thermometer. I've been spoilin' to get one and that seems like a deal.;)

Yeah, 48 Champion would've had the alcohol tube radimeter (temp gage).

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

48stud
06-13-2006, 08:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

You need a "Candy" thermometer. It's range goes high enough to reflect the coolant temp. A meat or outdoor thermometer won't get it.

Take the radiator cap off (with extreme caution if the engine's alreay hot!) and insert the thermometer. You might note if coolant can be seen to be flowing under the cap. It ought to be visibly flowing or swirling if the engine's up to temp. IF not, and the engine's hot, probably your thermostat isn't opening OR (worst case scenario)there's a blockage somewhere or the water pump isn't pumping[xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

ROADRACELARK
06-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Bob,
The data plate called it a M16-52, meaning it had a 152" wheel base with a GVW rating of 13,200 lbs. It had the correct Commander 226ci engine. As for the Studebaker sign, you can bet, if there had been one there I would have taken it[:p]. That was a very decent truck. I bought 2 NOS front fenders for it, sand blasted the frame behind the cab and painted it with Emeron, rebuilt the front end, recored the radiator, did a complete brake job including rebuilding the power brake booster and to top it all off, 6 new Firestone tires, 7.50X20 with tubes and flaps. It ran weak, very low compression. I sold it (gave it away [V]) 10 or 12 years later. Supposedly it went to the Carolinas and was dismantaled to be shipped over seas, I think, to Sweden. Oh well:( we cant keep them all as hard as we all try. Later:)
Dan