PDA

View Full Version : Sludgy Engine [:0]

avantilover
06-12-2006, 04:47 AM
I hope this comes out OK, was just looking at the classicresto site to see what cars they've recently done, and this is the inside of the engine of a 1967 Pontiac Le Mans Convertible with a 326 2BBl engine.

I know it's not a Stude, but I wonder if anyone has seen such a filthy engine before, they were amazed that it still ran.

Shame how some people can treat (or mistreat) their cars.[V]http://static.flickr.com/60/165572918_6765b64de4_m.jpg

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!

N8N
06-12-2006, 06:40 AM
Were that my car, I would manually remove whatever goo I could manually with a hard plastic scraper, then run it a couple hundred miles with some Rotella in it, then repeat.

Looking at that pic I can see why Pontiacs got a reputation for busting out the lifter bores, there's no support in there!

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

52hawk
06-12-2006, 07:32 AM
I don't remember what brand -x it was,but I once pulled an intake on a v-8 and couldn't see the bottom half of the pushrods.
Chrysler is having a major sludge problem right now with their v-6[I believe 2.7 engine]I guess these engines are falling apart any time after about 30k miles,from lack of lube.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

Buddy1944
06-12-2006, 11:17 AM
The sludge in the oilpan of my '54 champion 170" was about 1/2" thick. I saved it for a while as a conversation pice, also have a picture of it.

This was after 41,100 original miles with no oil filter...

Buddy...'54 Champion 2dr

Roscomacaw
06-12-2006, 07:07 PM
The 75K-mile Champion I recently pulled the pan off of had about an INCH of fudge-consistency goo in the pan well. No oil filter on it, but it was purported to have run OK like that when it was pulled from the car.[:0]:([8]

As a matter of fact, the 53 Commander I got a year ago looks like that Pontiac inside the valve covers.[V] Yet it runs and it doesn't sound bad at all. Holds decent oil pressure too.
I haven't lost any sleep over it 'cause it's gonna get a new engnie eventually.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Dick Steinkamp
06-12-2006, 11:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

The 75K-mile Champion I recently pulled the pan off of had about an INCH of fudge-consistency goo in the pan well. No oil filter on it, but it was purported to have run OK like that when it was pulled from the car.[:0]:([8]

As a matter of fact, the 53 Commander I got a year ago looks like that Pontiac inside the valve covers.[V] Yet it runs and it doesn't sound bad at all. Holds decent oil pressure too.
I haven't lost any sleep over it 'cause it's gonna get a new engnie eventually.:D

I'm thinkin' that low mileage engines are more likely to have the sludge build up. Low mileage usually means short trips every now and then. Folks generally change oil by mileage. The short trips with the engine never fully coming up to temperature combined with long intervals (time wise) between changes = a high likelyhood of sludge build up.

My 14,000 mile '62 Lark was pretty well sludged up. It didn't seem to mind it, but I cleaned up the valley area and pan anyhow.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

tstclr
06-13-2006, 07:12 AM
Both Chrysler and Toyota are having trouble with engine failures due to sludge. I worked at a Chrysler dealer a couple of years ago and always told 2.7 owners to run synthetic oil. Toyta Siennas are bad for it too.
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Sonny
06-15-2006, 06:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by tstclr

Both Chrysler and Toyota are having trouble with engine failures due to sludge. I worked at a Chrysler dealer a couple of years ago and always told 2.7 owners to run synthetic oil. Toyta Siennas are bad for it too.
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

I work in a salvage yard and the whole of the automobile community refers to the 2.7 Chiseler motor as "Da Bomb With Da Fuse Lit!" When, (not IF), you need a running used engine, look for it under "unobtainium"! Oh! Look for a Caddy Caterra, 626, Caravan motors under the same heading......

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com