This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drums and rims

please forgive me if I seem to know very little about this truck, 62 champ, 6 cylinder. I am 62 and have never worked on one before. I need one rear drum and would like to know what drums and rims from other models will fit it. thanks for any info.

No other drums that I know of. I have a number of these available tho.

Why is it you say you need one? Is it too far gone to be turned? The shop manual says these drums can be turned 100 thousandths. Most brake repair places won't belive you until you SHOW them the shop manual.
    As I said tho, I have some to spare.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

thanks for your reply. the one rear drum has 3 cracks in it from the center out. I thought that whatever other rims that might fit, the drums might also fit

Comment

Heh - it's not that easy[}] Let me know if you want a drum.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I wonder how those cracks got there? I could speculate someone tried to pull the drums without the aid of the proper tool.[:0]
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

not sure how the cracks got there. will the rims and drums off of a 37 fit it?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by nipster43

please forgive me if I seem to know very little about this truck, 62 champ, 6 cylinder. I am 62 and have never worked on one before. I need one rear drum and would like to know what drums and rims from other models will fit it. thanks for any info.
              Nipster,

You can use Chevy truck drums, and then use Chevy truck/van wheels. Go here for info on the drums: https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...s/trkdrum.html

There are disc brake conversions available for the 1/2 ton trucks. I used the Turner disc brake setup on my '63. Go here for Turner's website: http://www.turnerbrake.com/

Pics of my disc brake conversion are here: http://racingstudebakers.com/copperm...s.php?album=89 Click on the thumbnails to bring up larger pics, and if you want the really BIG pics, click again.

Also, you should be visiting the Studebaker Truck Talk website, there is a lot of info in past posts, and the posts are searchable. Stude Truck Talk is here:http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/

A great source of Studebaker parts is Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker. He carries all kinds of brake, engine, and high performance parts, and has the best prices around. Phil's email is: stude6@yahoo.com

Hope this helps!

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

thanks alot for the info, Paul.

Comment

I'd forgotten about the Chevy drums fitting. If you use Chevy wheels tho, the Champ hub caps won't fit. I'd guess that full-size Stude wheelcovers might fit OK on the Chevy wheels, but wouldn't swear to it.

I too, have Turner's disc setup for half tons on the front of my Transtar. Mine was the second set made. They've served well and are better than the "push & pray" drums that it wore originally. Truth is those drums weren't that bad but when I was towing something -[xx(] Wow!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

If you use Chevy wheels tho, the Champ hub caps won't fit.
                    Well, they won't fit on easily<G>. But you can make them fit. Go here to see how I did it: http://racingstudebakers.com/copperm...s.php?album=92

Click on the thumbnails to bring up a larger pic. If you want a REALLY large pic, click on the large pic to bring up the big'n.

This album shows how I adapted the stock stainless steel Champ 1/2-ton hubcaps to the 15X6 Chevy Express Van wheels. I used these wheels because they fit the front disc brake conversion, and also fit over the rear Champ brake drums. ******Disclaimer: This album does not represent a recommendation for you to modify your wheels and/or suspension. It simply shows how I modified mine. Modification to vehicle wheels and suspension could lead to injury or death.****** (Translation: if you do this, don't say I told you to do it, because I didn't.)

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

does anyone know where I can get studebaker rims?

Comment

I have some used Stude truck rims but the shipping's gonna be steep.[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

how much do you want for 4 rims and one front drum and a rear drum, and you have any idea what the shipping will be?

Comment

I'll try and work up a figure for you. Where are you at???

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President 2-dr
                            1955 President State
                            1951 Champion Biz cpe
                            1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Mr. Biggs, are you a Stude vender that goes to shows or just have bunches of parts you've collected and don't mind sharing?

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
                              South Georgia Chapter Newsletter Editor
                              63 Daytona HT (project)
                              51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
                              52 Commander Starliner (basket case)
                              MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
                              Click my name and check out "Links".

Comment

Working...
                              X