This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunted Transmission

I've got a DG 200 in my '51 Commander. Never totally quiet in park or neutral, recently it has taken to "moaning like a ghost' when in those positions. AS a GUESS, it sounds like a pump pushing against pressure downstream...Drive gears/reverse are silent, and if anything shift more crisply than before the moaning started. The tranny is quiet for a few seconds on startup, then sounds off and varies directly with engine rpm. This all began when I used Low as an engine brake, engaged when the car was travelling at 15 mph.

Any thoughts, tips or suggestions?? Can I drive the thing as is??
    Thanks!

51 Commander State Sedan

Kittanning, PA

I don't know if it was cause and effect, but I would not use a DG transmission for braking, unless it was an emergency. Brakes are a LOT cheaper than good DG transmissions.

Gary L.
    1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
    1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, this from the Studebaker factory DG service manual: "Engine braking for descending long, steep grades can be effected by reducing car speed to 40MPH or less and with your foot off the gas pedal, shifting to the Low Range."

Commander51, the book says of noises while in P or N:

Low fluid
      Fluid intake screen clogged
      Damaged pump fingers
      Damaged or worn front pump parts
      Air leaks in front pump passages in the case or the front pump and collector ring assy.
      Improper valve action
      Broken connector fins
      Loose direct drive backing plate or drive fingers in the convertor.

Now, it doesn't go into what the sounds might BE like, only what might CAUSE sounds. Wish I could help you more but I'm not an auto-tranny whiz kid.[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Gary, this from the Studebaker factory DG service manual: "Engine braking for descending long, steep grades can be effected by reducing car speed to 40MPH or less and with your foot off the gas pedal, shifting to the Low Range."
        Bob/MrBiggs - I agree with your statement as far as design operation of the DG goes and I used to downshift them myself years ago. I just feel that it is prudent to do all possible to extend the life of any DG that is now operating.
        Has the fluid level been properly checked?

Gary L.
        1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
        1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The fluid level was low about 1/2 pint; not very much considering the size of the reservoir. I use Low sparingly, but you should see some of the cliffs I negotiate here in western Pennsylvania. There is one grade I travel occasionally which requires Low... the brakes fade to the point of useless before the bottom-- which is the Allegheny River!

Biggs' list sounds like just about everything that CAN go wrong with an automatic tranny! But since this puppy was rebuilt by the former owner, I'm gonna put the worn/damaged stuff to the bottom of the list and start with the intake screen and the 'valve action'....

Wish me luck-- and STudebob, where did you find that in the manual-- I have a manual and could only find noise references for 'geared' positions...?

51 Commander State Sedan

Kittanning, PA

51 Commander State Sedan
          Butler PA

Comment

I have two DG manuals, both of which I bought of ebay at different times. Both appear to be originals too.

The one I read from was (I think) put out about '54 or so. I say that because it has a supplemental section in the rear that addresses the changes made to the '54 DG units that started out in 1st gear.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I usta have a tranny business. Many times I've seen transes that read a half quart low and wouldn't even engage. I had one that showed a half quart low and it took two gallons to bring it up to teh full mark. If your stick is a lil bit long or your tube a lil bit short, you could be operating low for years and not know it. Full means full.

Comment

These older Stude automatics all have the dipstick right in the case. Not much room for error as to fluid level.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Working...
                X