PDA

View Full Version : Ď57 Provincial brake install report.

Rosstude
06-09-2006, 11:45 PM
If you have read enough about brakes, turn the page now. Personally, I have been enjoying the various discussions about brakes, I learn much from it.
I have about 250 miles on the Turner disks and dual master cylinder conversion, it works GREAT. Stops straight and sure, a definite improvement. The front disks bolted right on, no fitment problems. I did trim about 1/4 off the caliper to allow the banjo fitting to be rotated a few degrees to move the flex hose away from the frame rail a bit. The master cylinder required modifying the body support at the rear of the cylinder, just as outlined in the instructions, still very tight as you may know. Also I elongated the cylinder bracket (to frame) holes about 3/16 to move the cylinder forward, this cleared the body brace better, and brought the push rod /pedal free travel adjustment back into mid range. I was under the car checking for leaks, and was watching the arm pushing (actually my wife was inside the car pushing hard) the cylinder plunger, I noticed a bit of flex because the offset pivot bolt changed the force from straight on to twisting on the arm. So I fabricated a bracket that saddles up to the brake arm side and bottom, and loops around the outside of the arm pivot bushing housing, and intersects the forked end of the master cylinder push rod like the brake arm originally did. It transfers some, if not all the force back to the brake arm straight on (thrust?), rather than twisting (torsional?). It required one 5/16 hole mid way in the stock arm, just to keep it located, if my eyeball engineering is correct, the bolt is under no stress. I have the cardboard patterns for the bracket, and a spare arm, so I could duplicate it. This is most likely overkill, but that is me. My wife's favorite saying when I come in from the shop is you didn't over do it, did you?[xx(][|)]:D the answer is yes if I am honest.
I also replaced all the tubing, just because. The front section was like new, preserved in oil. I had changed the rims shortly after buying the car, so they fit right on, as do the wheel covers. I got them from Bob Helm, F#rd parts as I understand.
Anyway, here is a link to many pictures of the bracket, and a few of the rest of the system http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/r_rither/album?.dir=2eccscd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
If you go back to my photos, there are picís of the two wagons.
I am happy with the product, and would call it a bolt on. The changes I made were of my own doing, it would have worked out of the box.
I am turning the car back over to the wife on Monday, I feel confidant my work is safe, and the system is overall much safer.
Now, what should be next[?] A/C to be cool[8D] or dual exhaust and a AFB clone in search of better MPG?. Fun stuff.

Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar
1961 Cruiser

bams50
06-10-2006, 09:28 AM
WOW

I want to sincerely thank you, Rosstude, for one of the best and most helpful posts I've EVER seen! Very timely for me as I formulate my brake plans for my own Provincial [8D]

I am constantly amazed that folks would go to all the trouble of taking pics, uploading them, writing posts, and sharing all this with total strangers... it keeps me constantly inspired, and in turn I try to contribute what I can...

I drove race cars for 24 years... now I'm retired from that, and enjoying my love for classic cars- especially Studes! Here's the problem: I still see my racing friends, and go to the races; but VERY few of them have any interest in old cars, and even fewer "get" Studes... nothing wrong with that, but it means I work on and enjoy these cars alone. This forum has saved me untold hours of frustration; and you, sir, have just been a large contributor to that.

I thank you, and all, from the bottom of my heart!!! :D

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Roscomacaw
06-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Let me echo the other Robert's feelings. EXCELLENT presentation, Ross![:p]:D Thanks for the wrtie-up and the photo-documentation.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Rosstude
06-10-2006, 03:23 PM
No problem guys, glad to be of service. Much of what I posted here was cut and pasted from feedback sent to Turner Brake, that simplified things. You know the old saying "what comes around, goes around" or "you reap what you sow" ? I have received so much generous, and unselfish help from the Stude community when I needed it, that giving back seems the natural thing to do. The cars are cool, but the people are the reason I keep coming back.
The wife insisted on driving "her" car today, so off she went. She just called, and raved about the improvement. I can be so critical of my work[B)] and I really did not drive the car that much prior to this conversion, that I did not notice how vast the improvement was. Perspective is a great thing.

Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar
1961 Cruiser

sbca96
06-10-2006, 06:34 PM
This post is interesting for a few different reasons. Nice effort.

Tom