This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney/Pixar movie "Cars"

It was mentioned years ago in Turning Wheels that movie reviewer Roger Ebert is or was an owner of a Golden Hawk. Here is a quote from his review of this movie that opens today:

"...What I will reveal, with regret, is that the movie lacks a single Studebaker. The 1950s Studebakers are much beloved by all period movies because they so clearly signal their period, from the classic Raymond Loewy-designed models to the Golden Hawk, which left Corvettes and T-Birds eating its dust. Maybe there's no Hawk in Radiator Springs because Doc Hudson then would lose his bragging rights."

He verbalized similar sentiments and more about Hudson's racing capabilities during the televised "Ebert & Roeper At The Movies."

For those of us who don't YET own a Loewy/Bourke coupe, it is probably just as well that one is not in this movie. The exposure probably would cause the price to double as there are so many young'ns that don't even know about these sleek looking cars.

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Thanks Kurt. Ya know, I WAS wondering if there'd be a Stude in that movie. With the sort of character that could derived from the face of a bullet-nose, it just seemed a natural.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Might I suggest that some of the "powers that be' in the club send Mr. Ebert a letter of thanks (or a brick at the museum)...and wishes for a speedy recovery from his recent bout with cancer.

We (the club, Stude owners...and all car buffs) need friends like him that help spread the word to the masses.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

They should have put a few Studes in there. BTW, a heard a while back that there was a 62ish Lark that had a tag that read SUPER STUD. hmm...

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
        South Georgia Chapter
        63 Daytona HT (project)
        51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
        52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars

And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
        And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Comment

Business Week magazine via America Online reviewed the movie and noted that the Hudson was a "flash in the pan" car made only 8 years then phased out by American Motors in order to concentrate on other models, so perhaps it's just as well no Studebakers showed up in the movie. Rest assured there will be at least one sequel though, and perhaps a Studebaker bullet nose or perky Lark will come through as a star!

Studedude1961
          --1963 Cruiser

Comment

I think JBOYLE'S suggestion of a thank-you note to Mr. Ebert or even a brick at the SNM is a great idea. He has supported "our cause" in years past and apparently continues to do so. By all accounts he seems like a good guy to boot. I wish him well.

Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            (formerly Greenville, PA)
            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
            All are in Australia now

Comment

Id like to send that movie reviewer a brick from the museum,right upside the head. The late great Hudson a "flash in the pan car"???.
              It sure was a flash with those twin H-Powered big sixes.

Comment

I took my son to see Cars yesterday (part of the fun of having kids is you have an "excuse" to see movies like this ) and it was quite good. I think we'll have to buy it when it's on DVD. Worth checking out.
                Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Cars II should include Studebakers.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I saw Cars on Friday night and thought it was excellent. I was dissapointed there were no Studebakers to be found in it. It was a very entertaining movie and lots and lots of car humor. I definitly plan on buying it when it comes out.

I too think a Bullet nose would be a great character if they end up making a sequel.

Long Island Chapter Spotlight Editor
                    1955 Studebaker President Street rod
                    1960 Studebaker Lark 6 (project)
                    1971 Avanti II (For Sale)
                    1978 Plymouth Super Coupe (For sale in the near future)
                    1978 Dodge Super Coupe (For Sale)
                    1973 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Survivor (For Sale)

John Reich

1955 Studebaker President
                    1960 Studebaker Lark (For Sale)
                    1962 Studebaker GT Hawk

Comment

I am disappointed. I would like to see the film, however I was really hoping to see at least one Studebaker.

Comment

Make sure you stick around when the credits are playing-there's some really funny scenes including car related parodies of the earlier Pixar movies.
                        Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Working...
                        X