PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma buried Plymouth Fury

avantilover
03-22-2007, 02:41 AM
I recall an earlier topic about the unearthing of a Plymouth Fury (I think it was) that had been buried 50 years ago. Has it been unearthed yet and what condition is it in?

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Lockleys South Australia

Swifster
03-22-2007, 12:01 PM
June 15th is the big day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/1965_Studebaker_Commander_front198x.jpg

Swifster
03-22-2007, 12:01 PM
June 15th is the big day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/1965_Studebaker_Commander_front198x.jpg

bonehead007
03-22-2007, 12:29 PM
www.buriedcar.com thats the web site for the Fury

bonehead007
03-22-2007, 12:29 PM
www.buriedcar.com thats the web site for the Fury

DEEPNHOCK
03-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Well heck..
Let's bury an Avanti now, and dig it up in 50 years.
(They won't rust...they're fiberglass[}:)])
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

I recall an earlier topic about the unearthing of a Plymouth Fury (I think it was) that had been buried 50 years ago. Has it been unearthed yet and what condition is it in?
John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

DEEPNHOCK
03-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Well heck..
Let's bury an Avanti now, and dig it up in 50 years.
(They won't rust...they're fiberglass[}:)])
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

John Clements
Lockleys South Australia

StudeRich
03-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Oh! it's only a brand new Belvedere ! no big deal! LOL!! :D:D

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

StudeRich
Oh! it's only a brand new Belvedere ! no big deal! LOL!! :D:D

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

JDP
I've had a few I would have liked to bury, or burn to the ground just for the satisfaction. :)

64 Commander 2 dr.
64 GT Hawk R2 clone
64 Daytona HT
63 Cruiser
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert
63 Lark 2 door
63 Lark 2 door #2
62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT
60 Hawk
59 3E truck
52 Starliner
51 Commander

JDP
I've had a few I would have liked to bury, or burn to the ground just for the satisfaction. :)

64 Commander 2 dr.
64 GT Hawk R2 clone
64 Daytona HT
63 Cruiser
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert
63 Lark 2 door
63 Lark 2 door #2
62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT
60 Hawk
59 3E truck
52 Starliner
51 Commander

BobPalma
03-22-2007, 12:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by JDP

:) Actually, John, you have been buried in a few of them, have you not? [xx(] :D

BobPalma
03-22-2007, 12:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by JDP

:) Actually, John, you have been buried in a few of them, have you not? [xx(] :D

JBOYLE
03-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Let's start a new contest...(switch to game show host voice)
It's time to play: Guess its condition!!!!
Based on your knowledge of 1950s cars and rust...will it be:

1. Cherry. Fill it up, change the oil and brake fluid and head to OKC on the Turnpike.
2. Not bad bodywise, car's a good 20 footer, but entire mechanical systems need to be replaced or rebuilt.
3. In need of restoration...pity about the interior, paint and chrome.
4. Total rust bucket. Makes a New England parts car look good.

JBOYLE
03-22-2007, 01:25 PM

1. Cherry. Fill it up, change the oil and brake fluid and head to OKC on the Turnpike.
2. Not bad bodywise, car's a good 20 footer, but entire mechanical systems need to be replaced or rebuilt.

65cruiser
03-22-2007, 01:30 PM
I've read a lot about this Plymouth and how it was prepared, however there is one BIG unknown. That unknown is how dry the underground bunker has stayed for the last 50 years. Not much was said about the bunker, ventilation, drainage, etc.

I'm going to say that IF the bunker has stayed dry (meaning it did not flood), this Fury will be in remarkably good condition considering the way it was prepared when it was buried. If water got in that container, I suspect it'll beat the Titanic to the bottom in 2.8 seconds.

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

1. Cherry. Fill it up, change the oil and brake fluid and Crusie to Tulsa.
2.Not bad. Entire systems need to be replaced or rebuilt. Car's a good 20 footer.
3.In need of restoration...pity about the interior, paint and chrome.

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/SIG.JPG

65cruiser
03-22-2007, 01:30 PM
I've read a lot about this Plymouth and how it was prepared, however there is one BIG unknown. That unknown is how dry the underground bunker has stayed for the last 50 years. Not much was said about the bunker, ventilation, drainage, etc.

I'm going to say that IF the bunker has stayed dry (meaning it did not flood), this Fury will be in remarkably good condition considering the way it was prepared when it was buried. If water got in that container, I suspect it'll beat the Titanic to the bottom in 2.8 seconds.

1. Cherry. Fill it up, change the oil and brake fluid and Crusie to Tulsa.
2.Not bad. Entire systems need to be replaced or rebuilt. Car's a good 20 footer.
3.In need of restoration...pity about the interior, paint and chrome.

Lark Parker
03-22-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm betting it will be low mileage.

If it isn't -- look for Rod Serling in the trunk.

Lark Parker aka Trim Trader

Lark Parker
03-22-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm betting it will be low mileage.

If it isn't -- look for Rod Serling in the trunk.

Lark Parker aka Trim Trader

bob40
03-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Only thing separating this from a "barn find" car is it's known about and underground.We all have probably heard or found ourselves cars that have been in storage for 40-50 years.I prefer to find the ones hiding.

bob40
03-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Only thing separating this from a "barn find" car is it's known about and underground.We all have probably heard or found ourselves cars that have been in storage for 40-50 years.I prefer to find the ones hiding.

BobPalma
03-22-2007, 05:22 PM
:) Yep, it was well-prepared for a long nap. As Mark says, the [very] wild card is whether or not that bunker's seal has been breached and it has ever filled -even partially- with water (and who knows what else, given a downtown metropolitan environment.)

What I find even more speculative is how they are going to establish the car's ownership. The car was buried as part of a civic contest. Residents were asked to guess the population of Tulsa in 2007. The entries are supposedly stored somewhere. The person having guessed closest to the official 2007 population wins the car. :D[:I]:D

That's all well and good if the person is still alive. If not, it goes to his/her heirs. Ah, what a tangled web that could be! [8]

OK, let's say the "winner" died in 1970. He/she had been divorced and remarried and had 4 natural kids and three step kids. Each of them has married and some have divorced and who knows what-all, so now the "winner's" family tree has 31 known, legitimate heirs. [:0] HA!

Boy, is that going to be good! [}:)] BP

BobPalma
03-22-2007, 05:22 PM
:) Yep, it was well-prepared for a long nap. As Mark says, the [very] wild card is whether or not that bunker's seal has been breached and it has ever filled -even partially- with water (and who knows what else, given a downtown metropolitan environment.)

What I find even more speculative is how they are going to establish the car's ownership. The car was buried as part of a civic contest. Residents were asked to guess the population of Tulsa in 2007. The entries are supposedly stored somewhere. The person having guessed closest to the official 2007 population wins the car. :D[:I]:D

That's all well and good if the person is still alive. If not, it goes to his/her heirs. Ah, what a tangled web that could be! [8]

OK, let's say the "winner" died in 1970. He/she had been divorced and remarried and had 4 natural kids and three step kids. Each of them has married and some have divorced and who knows what-all, so now the "winner's" family tree has 31 known, legitimate heirs. [:0] HA!

bonehead007
03-22-2007, 06:19 PM
What do you think the owner/heir will do with the car ?

Sell it on Ebay

Keep it

Send it to Barrett-Jackson for the 2008 Auction

bonehead007
03-22-2007, 06:19 PM
What do you think the owner/heir will do with the car ?

Sell it on Ebay

Keep it

Send it to Barrett-Jackson for the 2008 Auction

ST2DE5
03-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Well I was there in 1957 and watched them bury it. I was the whole sum of 17. And I plan on being there when they dig it up at 67.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s197/wagon56/MoparMeet2.jpg
7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

ST2DE5
03-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Well I was there in 1957 and watched them bury it. I was the whole sum of 17. And I plan on being there when they dig it up at 67.

jnormanh
03-22-2007, 06:35 PM
<<What do you think the owner/heir will do with the car ?

Sell it on Ebay

Keep it

Send it to Barrett-Jackson for the 2008 Auction>>

Excuse me for butting in. I've been lurking here for quite a while, but I just had to put in my .02 on this one. This car has been in, at the very best, a 100% humidity chamber for 50 years, and we all know how quickly those '57 Chrysler products rusted anyway. I'll bet the answer is none of the above.

The new owner will shovel it into trash cans. The glass and tires will be the only recognizable parts.

jnormanh
03-22-2007, 06:35 PM
<<What do you think the owner/heir will do with the car ?

Sell it on Ebay

Keep it

Send it to Barrett-Jackson for the 2008 Auction>>

Excuse me for butting in. I've been lurking here for quite a while, but I just had to put in my .02 on this one. This car has been in, at the very best, a 100% humidity chamber for 50 years, and we all know how quickly those '57 Chrysler products rusted anyway. I'll bet the answer is none of the above.

The new owner will shovel it into trash cans. The glass and tires will be the only recognizable parts.

curt
03-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Water damage would be the big question. I think they did try to H20 proof the cement bunker.

curt
03-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Water damage would be the big question. I think they did try to H20 proof the cement bunker.

Randy_G
03-22-2007, 06:57 PM

I plan on being there when this car is unearthed. I have to say that it will be number "4" total waste of a 1957 Plymouth and it only took 50 years to kill it.

Randy_G
South Bend or Bust 2007!
God I miss chrome on cars.
www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com
http://www.automotivehistoryonline.com/sedan4small.jpg

Randy_G
03-22-2007, 06:57 PM

I plan on being there when this car is unearthed. I have to say that it will be number "4" total waste of a 1957 Plymouth and it only took 50 years to kill it.

Randy_G
South Bend or Bust 2007!
God I miss chrome on cars.
www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com
http://www.automotivehistoryonline.com/sedan4small.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
03-22-2007, 07:21 PM
[blue]2. Not bad bodywise, car's a good 20 footer,

If it looks EXACTLY like it did when it was entombed, it would be a 20 footer by today's concours standards [:o)]

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
03-22-2007, 07:21 PM
[blue]2. Not bad bodywise, car's a good 20 footer,

If it looks EXACTLY like it did when it was entombed, it would be a 20 footer by today's concours standards [:o)]

BobPalma
03-22-2007, 09:07 PM

[/quote]

:D Good point, Dick. A 1957 Plymouth would be one of the easiest 1950s collector cars to restore to factory standards! ;)[}:)][:0] BP

BobPalma
03-22-2007, 09:07 PM

[/quote]

:D Good point, Dick. A 1957 Plymouth would be one of the easiest 1950s collector cars to restore to factory standards! ;)[}:)][:0] BP

8E45E
03-22-2007, 09:09 PM

[/quote]

If that is the case, the real "winner" has his smiling face on the back cover of the Yellow Pages, the inside front cover, and a full color two-page spread under 'L' (or 'B&S') within! :D

Craig

8E45E
03-22-2007, 09:09 PM

[/quote]

If that is the case, the real "winner" has his smiling face on the back cover of the Yellow Pages, the inside front cover, and a full color two-page spread under 'L' (or 'B&S') within! :D

Craig

BobPalma
03-23-2007, 05:22 AM
Good One, Craig. BP

BobPalma
03-23-2007, 05:22 AM
Good One, Craig. BP

BobPalma
03-23-2007, 05:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by ST2DE5

:) I envy you, Carl. That would have been quite an experience at the time...and regardless of what the car looks like come this June, it will be an equally thrilling experience to be there 50 years later.

Best wishes. Please post a thorough report after the extraction, 'cause many of us will be in South Bend! [:p]:):D[8D]
BP

BobPalma
03-23-2007, 05:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by ST2DE5

:) I envy you, Carl. That would have been quite an experience at the time...and regardless of what the car looks like come this June, it will be an equally thrilling experience to be there 50 years later.

Best wishes. Please post a thorough report after the extraction, 'cause many of us will be in South Bend! [:p]:):D[8D]
BP

DEEPNHOCK
03-23-2007, 05:45 AM
Well, The 'shelf life' of nitrile rubber is approximately 5 to 7 years (by manufacturer's standards)...
So.... If you doubled that figure, you'd still have to replace almost all the rubber on the thing to be safe and sound.
I'd bet #3, or #4 (if the box leaked)..
Especially if the mouse they sealed in there lived a while <lol>..
Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK
03-23-2007, 05:45 AM
Well, The 'shelf life' of nitrile rubber is approximately 5 to 7 years (by manufacturer's standards)...
So.... If you doubled that figure, you'd still have to replace almost all the rubber on the thing to be safe and sound.
I'd bet #3, or #4 (if the box leaked)..
Especially if the mouse they sealed in there lived a while <lol>..
Jeff[8D]

Transtar56
03-23-2007, 08:45 AM
If the thing runs and something breaks,will Chrysler hounor the waranty?

Transtar56
03-23-2007, 08:45 AM
If the thing runs and something breaks,will Chrysler hounor the waranty?

Transtar56
03-23-2007, 08:50 AM
I know where theres a Hudson thats been buried for a good 30 years.
It was sitting in a farmers feild right next to a steep embankment up to the road.

When they widened the road they just back filled right over it.

Betcha it would "need work"

Transtar56
03-23-2007, 08:50 AM
I know where theres a Hudson thats been buried for a good 30 years.
It was sitting in a farmers feild right next to a steep embankment up to the road.

When they widened the road they just back filled right over it.

Betcha it would "need work"

JimC
03-23-2007, 09:48 AM
On JBOYLE's game show options, I'm going to say at the very best it will be a 2. unless they were able to create a vacuum in that tomb (unlikely considering '57 technology), every piece of rubber and gasket is gonna need to be replaced. Assuming that the thing stayed dry, I'm not worried too much about the body. After all, the paint has never been outside to wear off or pick up road salt. Plus, and maybe my geography's all wrong here, but I was under the assumption that in general, that part of OK is fairly dry more often than not.

Besides, I've seen "Back to the future part 3" If a piece-o-crap DeLorean can survive 70 years in a coal mine, Surely A sturdy American car can last 50! (What do you mean "That's fiction?!?!)

Seriously though, I'll be interested in seeing it unearthed. Of course, if it was something classy, like a 57 Chevy or better yet, a 57 Stude, I'd be down at the library trying to figure out how I'm directly related to every citizen of Tulsa in '57. :-D

--------
Restoring my grandfather's '60 Lark, one rusted bolt at a time.

Maple Lake, Minnesota

JimC
03-23-2007, 09:48 AM
On JBOYLE's game show options, I'm going to say at the very best it will be a 2. unless they were able to create a vacuum in that tomb (unlikely considering '57 technology), every piece of rubber and gasket is gonna need to be replaced. Assuming that the thing stayed dry, I'm not worried too much about the body. After all, the paint has never been outside to wear off or pick up road salt. Plus, and maybe my geography's all wrong here, but I was under the assumption that in general, that part of OK is fairly dry more often than not.

Besides, I've seen "Back to the future part 3" If a piece-o-crap DeLorean can survive 70 years in a coal mine, Surely A sturdy American car can last 50! (What do you mean "That's fiction?!?!)

Seriously though, I'll be interested in seeing it unearthed. Of course, if it was something classy, like a 57 Chevy or better yet, a 57 Stude, I'd be down at the library trying to figure out how I'm directly related to every citizen of Tulsa in '57. :-D

--------
Restoring my grandfather's '60 Lark, one rusted bolt at a time.

Maple Lake, Minnesota

tstclr
03-23-2007, 09:55 AM
I hope Speed channel does live coverage.
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/tstclr/larkavitar.jpg

tstclr
03-23-2007, 09:55 AM
I hope Speed channel does live coverage.
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/tstclr/larkavitar.jpg

65cruiser
03-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Okay, I'm wondering why the rubber would be in really bad shape? My Cruiser is only 8 years newer and it's still got some original rubber around the windows, door gaskets and probably lots of other stuff (not tires or brake hoses) and that rubber is still in good shape. This car has spent 50 years sitting in the dark. I always thought the sun was a rubber-killer.

65cruiser
03-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Okay, I'm wondering why the rubber would be in really bad shape? My Cruiser is only 8 years newer and it's still got some original rubber around the windows, door gaskets and probably lots of other stuff (not tires or brake hoses) and that rubber is still in good shape. This car has spent 50 years sitting in the dark. I always thought the sun was a rubber-killer.

8E45E
03-23-2007, 10:37 AM

Assuming the vault remained humidity free for the most part, and the body survives relatively rust-free, give or take a bit of surface rust on the unpainted areas that got missed by the factory, one can bet the INTERIOR will be VERY fragile. Chrysler experimented with some new synthetic fabrics and resiliant foam on the '57's. (Why does this remind me of a '58 Packard dash?) They were known to perish after a few years, and pick up a rather unpleasent odor. I really wonder.. will those seats will still be soft after all those years? Or will they have sunken like a cake coming out of the oven too soon?[:p]

Craig.

8E45E
03-23-2007, 10:37 AM

Assuming the vault remained humidity free for the most part, and the body survives relatively rust-free, give or take a bit of surface rust on the unpainted areas that got missed by the factory, one can bet the INTERIOR will be VERY fragile. Chrysler experimented with some new synthetic fabrics and resiliant foam on the '57's. (Why does this remind me of a '58 Packard dash?) They were known to perish after a few years, and pick up a rather unpleasent odor. I really wonder.. will those seats will still be soft after all those years? Or will they have sunken like a cake coming out of the oven too soon?[:p]

Craig.

glen
03-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Just as long as it is not a red and white 1958 Fury....
I am sure we have all seen the movie "Christine".....

Glen Brose
East of Chino Valley, AZ
The Home of "Charlene"
53 Champion Tudr Sedan
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g204/glen_05/StudebakeratBarona.png

glen
03-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Just as long as it is not a red and white 1958 Fury....
I am sure we have all seen the movie "Christine".....

Glen Brose
East of Chino Valley, AZ
The Home of "Charlene"
53 Champion Tudr Sedan
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g204/glen_05/StudebakeratBarona.png

Studedude1961
03-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Remember when they found the safe in the movie TITANIC and brought it to the surface, opening it, finding nothing but seawater and a bunch of MUCK. Either this will happen or the car radio will mysteriously come to life, ala "Christine" playing "Bad to the Bone."

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

Studedude1961
03-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Remember when they found the safe in the movie TITANIC and brought it to the surface, opening it, finding nothing but seawater and a bunch of MUCK. Either this will happen or the car radio will mysteriously come to life, ala "Christine" playing "Bad to the Bone."

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

PlainBrownR2
03-24-2007, 12:44 AM
I believe this might shed a little light on the car:
http://www.buriedcar.com/tulsarama.html
I read a little before the topic came up, so I'll toss some FYI's in on the car from what I read.
A couple items to note on a couple of the items(LOL).
The womans purse was a last minute add-in. Her full intention was there needed to be a female perspective on the woman of the 50's as there was none in the car
There was 10 gallons of gas and 5 quarts of oil thrown in the car as they did not know if the "people of the future" would still be using petrol to power there cars(That was the statement). Well we can all attribute the shelf life of petrol, including myself when I drained the truck when I bought it. I'll leave this comment to the irony of the statement and leave the politics out of it(LOL):)

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
[img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
[img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]

PlainBrownR2
03-24-2007, 12:44 AM
I believe this might shed a little light on the car:
http://www.buriedcar.com/tulsarama.html
I read a little before the topic came up, so I'll toss some FYI's in on the car from what I read.
A couple items to note on a couple of the items(LOL).
The womans purse was a last minute add-in. Her full intention was there needed to be a female perspective on the woman of the 50's as there was none in the car
There was 10 gallons of gas and 5 quarts of oil thrown in the car as they did not know if the "people of the future" would still be using petrol to power there cars(That was the statement). Well we can all attribute the shelf life of petrol, including myself when I drained the truck when I bought it. I'll leave this comment to the irony of the statement and leave the politics out of it(LOL):)

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
[img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
[img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]

studeclunker
03-24-2007, 02:01 AM
I am really curious as to the condition of the car's interior myself. I was a warehouseman in Seal Beach Naval Weapons station in Seal Beach about thirty years ago. They had a number of warehouses that were forty by a hundred feet. One of them was packed to the 12' ceiling with foam rubber. We would go up onto the catwalk in the rafters and jump off into the foam, sinking through it all the way down. The stuff had deteriorated to a gooey soft mush. It did hold it's structural integrity till one broke through the crusty outer layer. Then it would just crumble away. It's likely this car will come out looking like a million bucks! Then go to hell in a handbasket in short order.

It's likely the rubber door seals, suspension parts and engine seals will be just fine. They usually break down because of exposure to the elements. However, since they're over fifty years old, I suspect there's going to be problems. I wouldn't want to win the car. If I did, I'd sell it. Get rid of the lemon as quickly as possible. Or donate it to a museum without driving it at all.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

studeclunker
03-24-2007, 02:01 AM
I am really curious as to the condition of the car's interior myself. I was a warehouseman in Seal Beach Naval Weapons station in Seal Beach about thirty years ago. They had a number of warehouses that were forty by a hundred feet. One of them was packed to the 12' ceiling with foam rubber. We would go up onto the catwalk in the rafters and jump off into the foam, sinking through it all the way down. The stuff had deteriorated to a gooey soft mush. It did hold it's structural integrity till one broke through the crusty outer layer. Then it would just crumble away. It's likely this car will come out looking like a million bucks! Then go to hell in a handbasket in short order.

It's likely the rubber door seals, suspension parts and engine seals will be just fine. They usually break down because of exposure to the elements. However, since they're over fifty years old, I suspect there's going to be problems. I wouldn't want to win the car. If I did, I'd sell it. Get rid of the lemon as quickly as possible. Or donate it to a museum without driving it at all.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?