This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti makes Business Week!

Studebaker and Avanti made mention in the Business Week Halo car section. Check it out:

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT

Gah! Who gets paid to write this stuff????[V] NO mention of the Avanti soldiering on for YEARS after Studebaker dropped it!

I need to just start writing fanciful stuff about Studebakers and running it under the noses of editors. They're NOT interested in accuracy - just something to fill pages up with!
    Witness that article in Hemmings reviewing the '64 Daytona ragtop. I just got to see that piece yesterday. And I must say that as pretty as that magazine is every month, I'm suspect about many of the "facts" regarding vehicles I'm not familiar with![xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs you are right, but considering that Studebaker has been out of the car business for 40 years any mention in a major periodical is amazing. Maybe a letter to the editor of BW would be a good idea!

Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Bob, you're right, as usual. You MUST remember,some of these writers wern't even born when Studebakers were being made. All they can rely on for reference material is other printed matter (that may or may not be accurate) and mabe word of mouth from an older persons involved with Studebakers back in that time. Not to insult anyones integrity or memory condition, just a matter of fact...You know what I mean.
        Dan

Comment

When I see them messing with the "facts" concerning something I have some firsthand knowledge of, It kinda makes me question how accurate is the rest of their news reporting? [:0]

Comment

Bingo!
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Maybe you're right,Dan. Thing is, the web is SO full of good information - there's simply no excuse for not looking up AT LEAST one or two references when you present something as factual that you really know VERY little about.

If I took the time to write them, at best I'd get a machine-generated acknowledgement of reciept.[xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Business Week's reporting on the Avanti could have been worse. In reporting on Pixar's new movie "Cars" Business Week reported via AOL on one of the character cars, a Hudson whose voice is played by Paul Newman in the movie. Business Week informed readers that the Hudson was a "flash in the pan" that was only produced for 8 years before production was ended by "American Motors in 1958 so it could concentrate on its other models." If I were Hudson people, I'd be mad. Flash in the pan indeed!

Speaking of the movie, Pixar let a golden opportunity pass by in failing to cast Studebaker or Packard cars. Can you imagine a 1958 Hawk character asking to go "fishing" (with that Hawk fishmouth grill) or a 1951 Studebaker character talking about being faster than a bullet? Oh well, perhaps in Cars II!

Studedude1961
                --1963 (I sir, am NOT a Mercedes)Cruiser

Comment

I've had a rags-to-riches story (tale) in my head for several years about a derelict bulletnose and his junkyard compadres. Someday! [:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Yep I have a Hudson step down too and this is really an insult to those wonderful cars. Looks like BW needs to have some butts kicked! I thought maybe one mistake but two in the same day?

Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    58 C Cab
                    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude1961

Business Week's reporting on the Avanti could have been worse. In reporting on Pixar's new movie "Cars" Business Week reported via AOL on one of the character cars, a Hudson whose voice is played by Paul Newman in the movie. Business Week informed readers that the Hudson was a "flash in the pan" that was only produced for 8 years before production was ended by "American Motors in 1958 so it could concentrate on its other models." If I were Hudson people, I'd be mad. Flash in the pan indeed!

Studedude1961
                      --1963 (I sir, am NOT a Mercedes)Cruiser
                      Good point. Hudson started making cars in 1909. The company was named for J.L Hudson, who was not a car person, but put up the financing to start the company. Worth noting (especially in a magazine like BW) is the fact that he also founded Hudson's, which was a major chain of department stores in the Midwest. He is exactly the kind of successful businessman BW likes to write about.

Skip Lackie
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Okay, I'll get ready to duck. But if you throw anything make sure it's money or Avanti parts!

I didn't find the paragraph in BW all that bad. The topic was about "halo" cars (something sporty/sexy to bring people into the showroom and give a bit of flash to the entire line-up)..and it basically said the Avanti was too little, too late to save Studebaker and that it's old mechanicals (a 53 frame) didn't live up to the advanced looks of the car.
                        That's all true.
                        What it didn't say is the Avanti survived as an independent make for years.

But since the story was about the effect of halo cars to a car company's bottom line...the rest of the Avanti story wasn't really needed.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                        X