PDA

View Full Version : When is frame too far gone?

cabrina
06-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks Gord, I definately need to join SDC again. Kept a few issues of Turning Wheels from the 80's related to the bullet nose but that's about all.

Ironic that the reproduction floor pans come from Wisconsin. HA! As far as I can see the sides of the U-channel look rusted but intact. Haven't been able to put a screwdriver through anything but the bottom plate at least . . . yet. Do you use anything besided WD-40 to loosen rusted bolts?

Thanks,
Cabrina

cabrina
06-05-2006, 11:21 PM
Hi all!

New to Studebaker Drivers Club forum. Getting close to retirement and finally getting around to thinking about restoring the old 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe. Unfortunately it is an Iowa-Wisconsin car which I quit driving in 89 when I hit a puddle and got a good shower from below. HA! Floorpans are weak or non-existent so I am really worried about the basic structural frame. Appears to be a fabricated box composed of a U-shaped rail plated on the bottom. My bottom plate is eaten through in places and separated from the basic rail in others. Is this fixable? Do you cut out the rusty areas and weld in solid sheet plate? When is the frame too far gone? Are there sources for reproduction floor pans? Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cabrina

gordr
06-05-2006, 11:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by cabrina

Hi all!

New to Studebaker Drivers Club forum. Getting close to retirement and finally getting around to thinking about restoring the old 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe. Unfortunately it is an Iowa-Wisconsin car which I quit driving in 89 when I hit a puddle and got a good shower from below. HA! Floorpans are weak or non-existent so I am really worried about the basic structural frame. Appears to be a fabricated box composed of a U-shaped rail plated on the bottom. My bottom plate is eaten through in places and separated from the basic rail in others. Is this fixable? Do you cut out the rusty areas and weld in solid sheet plate? When is the frame too far gone? Are there sources for reproduction floor pans? Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cabrina

Floor pans and other patch panels are available from Classic Enterprises, located in...Wisconsin.[8D] They usually have an ad each month in Turning Wheels, the official SDC magazine. If you plan to be restoring your '50, I'd heartily recommend that you join SDC and start receiving TW.

Replacing the bottom plate on the frame is no big deal, IMHO. If the U-channel has been badly rusted or holed in a number of places, that might be uneconomic to repair. I'd suggest you have a good local restoration shop or a frame shop look the car over and give you an opinion.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Mike
06-06-2006, 03:47 AM
I use "LPS 3 HD Rust Inhibitor" on rusty bolts:
http://www.jtsmach.com/jtswebshop/Fluids/FL016.asp .
The 20 oz pump bottle is a good buy. You can get it in hardware stores in spray cans. The advantage is that it doesn't dry up, or run off. It will creep and penetrate.
Mike M.

cabrina
06-06-2006, 07:42 AM
Thanks Mike. I will rustle up some of this stuff. Definately need something that penetrates better than WD-40 to budge the rusty bolts and sheet metal screws.