This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Check

First let me apologize for such a dumb question! Since this is the first automatic transmission I've owned in quite sometime, how do you check the level and what type of fluid do you use? Do you warm the car and put it in each gear and then check it in netural? BTW this is the 60 Lark! Thanks, OkieBob

I LOVE MY STUDEBAKERS

Okie Dokie, I have a 1955 President with a Ford (transplant) automatic. I have been told Dextron is best for me. I have been told warm the car up, pull the emergency brake on, pull the shift leaver through the gears, stop in low gear,get out of the car and have a cup of decaf coffee. No , I was kidding about the coffee. Check the the fluid level with the car ideling in low. Note, iffin you don't trust the emergency brake, then block a tire befor starting the check. Now the question is my traney information good for you?

Comment

Warm it up by driving,have a can of BEER,then have a helper sit at the wheel and hold the brake while you check the fluid,idling,in low gear.
      Not a dumb question-I have never had a car that had tranny fluid checked while idling in gear,before this one.

LaSalle,Il
      61Hawk
      60Lark
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I think my 2006 Honda Civic is a low gear transmission oil check, I read the book once but need to re-read that section.

Comment

OkieBob - Curt is giving you information for a different transmission. If his '55 President had its original AT, you would follow the procedure that he outlined and check the fluid in LOW. With his transplanted transmission and with your Lark, you should follow that procedure, except check the transmission in DRIVE.
          I would recommend Dexron for AT fluid.

Gary L.
          1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
          1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Studeguy, thanks for the help, Drive for my Ford traney!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys!! A good thing about the Lark you can hold your foot on the brake and check the transmission at the same time! OkieBob

I LOVE MY STUDEBAKERS

Comment

I have only the Powershift trany's in my cars but always check them in drive. I also use Type F fluid.
                Denny L

Comment

Working...
                X