PDA

View Full Version : 50 champion brake problem.

50starlite
06-04-2006, 04:34 PM
I put all new shoes on my 50 champion about 800 miles ago. Lately the left front brake assembly has developed a draging sound when the brakes are applied at any pressure, or at least at a low speed.

I've rotated the wheel by hand while applying light pressure to the brake pedal and can feel a difference in the drag through a 360 deg. revolution. Weak spring, adjuster out of whack?? With the drumb off everything looks fine. Also, the car stops straight.

Dick Lee

sbca96
06-04-2006, 04:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by 50starlite

I've rotated the wheel by hand while applying light pressure to the brake pedal and can feel a difference in the drag through a 360 deg. revolution. Weak spring, adjuster out of whack?? With the drumb off everything looks fine. Also, the car stops straight.

Sounds like your drum is out of round, and if you need to push on the
brake to get the shoe to touch, I think your brakes are loose. I have
heard of people going out and purposely dragging their brakes to get
them extra hot, and then parking the car without parking brake on, to
let them cool naturally - without pressure on the drum. Sometimes this
can cause a warped drum (or disc) to settle back to its medium. Just
dont get it TOO hot and cause "hot spots".[B)]

Tom

1963 Studebaker Avanti (http://hometown.aol.com/sbca96/images/63avanti.jpg), 102,000, custom made brake brackets to mount 1998 Mustang GT 4 wheel disc brakes (soon to get 13" Cobra front brakes, 2003 Mustang Cobra 17" wheels, GM altenator, will be getting : 97 Camaro Z28 tan leather seats, 97 Camaro Z28 T-56 6-speed trans, Ported 'R3' style Avanti heads with stainless full flow valves, 'R3' 276 duration cam w/chrysler solid lifters, shortened push rods, aluminum cam gear, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires, waiting in the garage.

Roscomacaw
06-04-2006, 07:41 PM
If you take the drum off again, look to see if the edge of a shoe is contacting the sidewall of the drum.[8D] Should be easy to see if this is the case. If so, check to see that all the hardware's sitting true on the backing plate.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

ROADRACELARK
06-05-2006, 04:36 PM
You didn't say wheather you replaced the brake shoe return springs and the shoe hold down spring clips. If not, this can cause the brakes not to completely release. It's always a good idea to replace this hardware when doing a brake overhaul... those springs snd clips have been through MANY heat cycles and no tellin' how old they are. OBTW, a bad flexible brake hose (one at each front wheel, one at the rear axle) can cause a wheel to drag. Those old hoses deteriorate from the inside even though they may look ok on the outside. Hope this may help.
Dan