PDA

View Full Version : Rust question

Randy_G
03-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Have any of you guys/gals that has used the POR-15 rust preventer in a spray gun to apply it? It says that you can use some brands of lacquer thinner so you can use it in a spray gun. Anyone besides me tried it with a spray gun? I think it will get into the hard to reach areas if I spray it.

Randy_G
South Bend or Bust 2007!
God I miss chrome on cars.
www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com
http://www.automotivehistoryonline.com/sedan4small.jpg

Jeff_H
03-22-2007, 02:17 PM
I don't recommend it. I did the frame on my '53 with POR15 in a spray gun. I used a respirator but the fumes were horrible and made me dizzy. The mist floats in the air and settled on everything. It dries slowly so the mist was wet when it landed on things and cured. I still have black specks on stuff 8 yrs later.... I think if I were determined to do it again, I would get a oxygen tank respirator instead of the charcoal and more carefully mask off the paint area to prevent mist from drifting. I have found that the stuff flows pretty well when using a brush and doesn't really leave brush marks in the surface like rustoleum or the like would.

Jeff in ND
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/ee-engineer/53byalaketiny.jpg
'53 Champion Hardtop

Roscomacaw
03-22-2007, 03:02 PM
I echo Jeff's observations![^]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

1961HAWK
03-22-2007, 03:51 PM
i sprayed it.i sprayed my hawk with the lark uncovered in the garage with no overspray landing on it. drop your air psi to compensate the overspray. in my opinion it does brush on alot better. but as you said "hard to reach areas". it sprays well right out of the can with a 2.0 tip. make sure you clean your gun thoughly when dun. pull it all apart clean it and let it soak to be sure you have nothing left in it. i sprayed mine with the lark uncovered in the garage with no overspray landing on it.
the best thing about por-15 is it makes a turd look like a diamond. seriously my wife were one around her neck.....

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

bondobilly
03-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Buy a real cheapo HVLP gun and you can spray. BUT I WOULD NOT DO IT. POR-15 has isocynates in it, and they can play havoc with your lungs and skin. Strange thing with them you don't know the level of toxicity you can tolorate until you pass it.

Once you pass it, walking by a freshly painted car can cause breathing problems, skin ulcers and bleeding.

The only thing that kills isocyanates is COLD water.

BG

Randy_G
03-22-2007, 07:43 PM
OK I'm having second thoughts on spraying now, I won't go into details but I tend to shy away from things that affect my breathing. [xx(] I have a quart and I think that I'm just going to brush it on. If I run out I'll buy more. All I want to do this weekend is the frame and the front and rear suspension. So I can put the body back on and get the motor and tranny mounted. We shall see, Thanks Guys! [8D]

Randy_G
South Bend or Bust 2007!
God I miss chrome on cars.
www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com
http://www.automotivehistoryonline.com/sedan4small.jpg

52 Ragtop
03-22-2007, 07:58 PM
I WOULD NOT DO IT. POR-15 has isocynates = a part of the cyanide family, as in 1 drop can kill you! IF you were to spray it, use a "fresh air mask" and do it in a down draft paint booth, buy a cheap spray gun, and clean it or throw it away when done. I hate to sound like a broken record, but, ---

Jim

hank63
03-23-2007, 07:11 AM
As far as I can recall, isocyanates have been declared carcogenic in some places. It will do more than clear your nostrils.
/H

bondobilly
03-23-2007, 08:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by hank63

As far as I can recall, isocyanates have been declared carcogenic in some places./H

Prop 65
Everything we sell needs to state, this product is known to cause birth defects, cancer, respitory injury, in California.

We cannot say
It does not cause birth defects, cancer or respitory disease in anyother states though.

Seriously there is no known resperator for isocyantes other than a postive flow fresh air breather, and a disposable suit. DuPont as others now have clears that are "iso-free" but do not warrnatee the finish for more then a few years. The worst of them is the URO series, or aircraft paint like Emron.

BG

1961HAWK
03-23-2007, 05:46 PM
since it has become an issue i am post the MSDS sheet for por-15 its lengthy but hey it makes everyone useing it completely aware and how to handle it.
erin

SECTION 1: IDENTIFICATION Catalog No. (N/A)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Name: POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint

Synonyms: POR-15 Rust Paint, POR-15 Paint

Manufacturer Name: POR-15, Inc.

General Use: Paint

Product Description: Isocyanate Prepolymer based on MDI

Address: P.O. Box 1235

Morristown NJ 07962-1235
Email: support@por15.com

Business Phone: (800) 457-6715
Business Fax: (973) 887-8007
Emergency Phone: (973)-887-1999
For information
in North America, call: (800) 457-6715
CHEMTREC Numbers:
For emergencies in the US, call CHEMTREC: 800-424-9300
For emergencies outside US, call INTERNATIONAL: (703)527-3887
Manufacturer MSDS Revision Date: 09/15/2005
Trade Names: POR-15 Rust Paint, POR-15 Paint

Chemical Family: Solution Aromatic Isocyanates
NFPA
Health: 3
Flammability: 2
Reactivity: 1
Other:

Physical Description / Properties

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physical State/Appearance: Liquid
Color: Black, Silver, Clear (light brown trans)
Odor: Aromatic
Vapor Pressure: 38 mm Hg
Vapor Density: 4.5 (Air = 1)
Flash Point: 40C (104F)
Upper Explosive Limit: 7.1%
Lower Explosive Limit: 1%
Boiling Point: 111C (232F)
Solubility: Nil In Water
Specific Gravity: 1.6 (Water = 1)
Density: 8.9 pounds/gallon
Evaporation Point: For solvent: 4.5 (Ether = 1)
Percent Volatile: 26% By Volume
Volatile Organic Compound Content: For POR-15 Clear: 236 grams per liter
For POR-15 Silver & Black: 223 grams per liter
Viscosity: 200-500 CPS @ 25C (77F)
Molecular Formula: Mixture
Molecular Weight: Varies

Ingredients

Chemical Name CAS# Lower Percent Upper Percent

Diphenylmethane Diisocyanate (MDI) 26447-40-5
Naptha Petroleum 68333-23-3
Non-hazardous proprietary ingredients
Various catalysts

To Top of page

SECTION 2 : HEALTH HAZARD INFORMATION Catalog No.: (N/A)

Health Effects

Emergency Overview: Hazardous according to criteria of Worksafe Australia

Applies to All Ingredients:
Potential Health Effects: Eyes: Severe irritation; tearing skin, discoloration-drying; breathing: irritation, dizziness, unconsciousness (for solvent).

For isocyanates: Coughing, irritation of mucous membranes and respiratory tract.

SKIN EFFECTS: Slight to moderate irritation(MDI); skin sensitizer in guinea pigs(MDI).

No conclusive evidence has been developed to indicate that MDI or POR-15 is carcinogenic, teratogenic or that either one causes reproductive effects in animals or humans. MDI has been reported by NIOSH to be mutagenic to Salmonella Typhimurium bacteria in the presence of a mammalian liver activation system. There is not full agreement in the scientific community on the significance of these Ames test results and their relationship to human safety in assessing the risk of cancer in man. A commitment has been made to perform an animal life-time inhalation study on polymeric MDI.

Eye Contact: HUMAN EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE:
Liquid, vapors, or aerosols are irritating to the eyes and can cause lachrymation (tearing effect). Corneal damage can occur; however, indications are that the damage is reversible and does not result in permanent injury.
Skin Contact: HUMAN EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE:
Polymeric MDI reacts with skin

bondobilly
03-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Excellent, just what we said, one error, once opened, and then resealed, can cannot be re-opened under any known method, other than punctruing.

The stuff is excellent, the stuff is bad for you, and I truly hope you scanned that, and not typed it.

POR-15 has kept the HFH together since 1987.

BG

1961HAWK
03-23-2007, 08:23 PM
I copied and pasted. POr-15 holds my hawk together too.
i use mason jars. i buy it by the gallon then seperate out into sealed mason jars. then when you pour it out of a mason jars clean the jar lip well with a rag and thinner. i have only had 1 lid stick since doing it this way. i have por-15 a total of 6 cars frame and pans and anywhere else that is prone to rust.
its good stuff, but i buy brushes by the box full

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

1961HAWK
03-23-2007, 08:24 PM
also store in my garage refrigerator it keeps longer according to POR-15 site.

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire

bams50
03-23-2007, 08:37 PM
How much would it take to do a 4 door floor pan (brushing)?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

bondobilly
03-23-2007, 08:49 PM
I did the Hawk with less than 3 quarts, that was every nook and cranny including the chassis I could get to.

BG

1961HAWK
03-24-2007, 06:55 AM
Probable two quarts would get it done.possible you might get it done with one It goes pretty far. I did the frame on a GMC truck recently with 1 quart and didnt use all the second quart doing the underside of the pans and the floor of the cab. I love POR-15 and i repair nothing rusted without it.

Erin Hays
1961 Hawk
1962 Lark
1963 Wagonaire