PDA

View Full Version : Repainting flourescent pointers in 1964-1966

Scott
06-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for an off the shelf flourescent red or red orange that's a match for the color used on the indicator needles/pointers on clocks, speedometers and other gauges in 1964-1966 lark types?

r1lark
06-04-2006, 01:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by Scott

Does anyone have a recommendation for an off the shelf flourescent red or red orange that's a match for the color used on the indicator needles/pointers on clocks, speedometers and other gauges in 1964-1966 lark types?

Scott,

Go to a good hobby shop, one that stocks paint for various types of models (airplane, railroad, radio controled race cars, etc). They will have a very bright flourescent colors to match these pointers. The one I got was in a bottle made by 'Pactra', and called R/C Car Racing Finish Fluorescent Orange. There are different shades on various instruments, you may need to get some orange and some red and mix a little bit until you come up with the exact shade. Remember that most of the speedos and gauges have been subjected to sun for 40+ years and the pointers have faded; the NOS instruments I have seen have very bright colors on the pointers.

I remember seeing other paint in the hobby shop in a metal tube (we call them paintsticks at work)with an applicator built in, this would work too.

Hope this helps........

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html

Scott
06-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks Paul. I could try that. Mixing is ok as long as I do everything I want to do at once. Otherwise I could have slight different shades between instruments. I have a clock that was in the dash and one that was in the trunk for years. The one in the trunk has a bright red orange second hand. The other one was faded to a pale yellow!! I got one sort of working, but now I want to get the one that was in the dash working, too. Might as well freshen it up if I can while I am at it.

N8N
06-04-2006, 06:37 PM
on a tip from Lee D. I have used a paint called "orange glow" I forget what brand it is but it came in a little craft-sized bottle at the hardware store and I think it was either Krylon or Plasti-Kote. Looks pretty darn close to stock and is reasonably easy to see at night. It's available in a spray as well but it is actually easier to brush on and the finish is fine.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel