PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a 58 Commander flightomatic

06-03-2006, 08:18 PM
I need some help with my 58 Commander, it has a 259 and I believe a flightomatic, I have no reverse in the trans, I just bought the car and don't know if it had reverse before or not, I have all forward gears and the trans is full of fluid. Here is the other thing, when the engine is running there is a sound from the trans almost like a manual trans gear grind. It is not constant and changes in volume depending what gear you try to put it in. On the no reverse problem, it seems like the trans is not shifting into reverse at all, and I am hopeing that there are some adjustments that I can try and find out if it is a bad trans or just something out of adjustment. Any help would be appreciated.

mbstude
06-03-2006, 08:48 PM
I think the bands can be adjusted. The same thing happened with my 63 Lark. We adjusted the bands for a few years, and then finally had it rebuilt about a year ago. I don't know about the noise.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
South Georgia Chapter
63 Daytona HT (project)
51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars
http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101
And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

N8N
06-03-2006, 08:53 PM
if the noise can be described as a "buzzing" and it is full of fluid it may need to have the throttle pressure linkage adjusted.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

studegary
06-03-2006, 09:22 PM
You say that the transmission is full, but how are you checking it? Follow the procedure in the Owner's Manual or Shop Manual. You can get that buzzing from low fluid level and also the inability to get reverse can be low fluid level or pressure or incorrect linkage adjustment (possibly due to bad engine/transmission mounts).

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

06-04-2006, 02:41 AM
I do not have a owners manual, or a service manual yet, I have checked the level several different ways, cold engine not running, engine cold but running, engine running and warm. I thought that one of these would probably be the correct way, they all show full. What would be the appropriate type of transmission fluid to use in it anyway? I think that the noise could deffinatly be described as a buzzing, how do you adjust the throttle pressure linkage? Also does anyone know the correct way to check fluid level? thanks

N8N
06-04-2006, 06:51 AM
the best way to adjust the throttle pressure linkage is to follow the entire procedure in the shop manual. That sounds like a cop out answer but once you see the procedure, you have to adjust the carb. linkage first to spec and then adjust the linkage to the trans. Then you fine tune the shift points by adjusting the linkage to the trans.

Fluid should be checked running, hot, and in "Drive" after running the trans through all gears. Dexron or Type-F are both acceptable.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

studegary
06-04-2006, 01:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by 5859

I do not have a owners manual, or a service manual yet, I have checked the level several different ways, cold engine not running, engine cold but running, engine running and warm. I thought that one of these would probably be the correct way, they all show full. What would be the appropriate type of transmission fluid to use in it anyway? I think that the noise could deffinatly be described as a buzzing, how do you adjust the throttle pressure linkage? Also does anyone know the correct way to check fluid level? thanks

This verifies that your AT fluid level is low. Get the engine and transmission warm. Run the transmission through the various gear selections ending in Drive. Good for two people to do this. One can stay in the car with their foot on the brake as well as blocking the car and/or setting the parking brake. Check the fluid level with the car running and the transmission in Drive. I would use Dexron, but rather than adding, change your fluid.
I can recall buying a '57 President Classic off a used car lot for a friend for this very reason. It was really buzzing until we got a mile down the road and brought the AT fluid level up to where it should be. The car ran fine in everyday use for years.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

06-05-2006, 10:17 PM
OK, I checked the trans fluid the correct way, and it still shows full, trans is still buzzing. Where can I get a shop manual that will cover the automatic transmission in depth, or at least enough to do some work on it. Let me say first that I know nothing about Studebaker automatics, the only Studebaker transmission I am familar with is the 3 speed manual, but I do have some questions, the guy that had the car before me changed the carburator, it is a Stromberg ww, but I don't think it is the correct application,it is not the backdraft style. it looks like a Chrysler application to me. Does the flightomatic have any vacume lines that go to it? If so, where would they be located? Is it possible that my torque converter or pump has an airlock and is not able to take in fluid? if so how could I remedy that? Is there a plug somewhere on the torque converter that I can open to see if it has oil in it? I drove the car down the street, in drive and it lurched at about 20 mph and acted like it wanted to shift, but it never did it moves forward in Low also, but still no reverse at all.

gordr
06-05-2006, 11:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by 5859

OK, I checked the trans fluid the correct way, and it still shows full, trans is still buzzing. Where can I get a shop manual that will cover the automatic transmission in depth, or at least enough to do some work on it. Let me say first that I know nothing about Studebaker automatics, the only Studebaker transmission I am familar with is the 3 speed manual, but I do have some questions, the guy that had the car before me changed the carburator, it is a Stromberg ww, but I don't think it is the correct application,it is not the backdraft style. it looks like a Chrysler application to me. Does the flightomatic have any vacume lines that go to it? If so, where would they be located? Is it possible that my torque converter or pump has an airlock and is not able to take in fluid? if so how could I remedy that? Is there a plug somewhere on the torque converter that I can open to see if it has oil in it? I drove the car down the street, in drive and it lurched at about 20 mph and acted like it wanted to shift, but it never did it moves forward in Low also, but still no reverse at all.

No vacuum lines, unless somebody put a Ford tranny in there. I'd be willing to bet you have a real bad tranny mount, or maybe both of them. If the left mount sags, it puts the throttle pressure linkage out of adjustment, and if it sags badly enough, the tranny will sink down far enough that you will be unable to get reverse gear.

If you go to the home page of this site, there is a link to a vendors site which can connect you to several well-known and respected Stude parts vendors. Most any of them will have the tranny mounts and shop manuals. I'd recommend you order a pair of tranny mounts AND a pair of motor mounts, and the appropriate shop manual.

Don't even attempt to adjust the tranny linkage until you have new mounts in there, or are certain that the existing ones are in good shape, because if you make adjustments to compensate for sagging mounts, you will simply have to redo all the adjustments once the sagging mounts give out completely and have to be replaced.

Put the front of the car up on ramps or jackstands, making certain it is secure (for your own well-being), and then crawl under, and use a little hydraulic bottle jack with a wood block or two to jack GENTLY under the bellhousing. If the tranny mounts are bad, the bellhousing will lift easily, and you may even see the mount separate. If the mounts are oil-soaked, you can expect they will be bad.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

06-06-2006, 03:21 AM
OK, I will check the mounts tomarrow, but what about the buzzing? The other thing I am concerned about is the carb has been replaced by one that I don't think is the correct application, what does the throttel pressure linkage look like and where is it located? I am wondering if mabeye the carb is not correct and the linkage has not been hooked up or is missing. thanks for your help.

Roscomacaw
06-06-2006, 11:41 AM
That carb is not the one that the car came with. Remember, I've seen it. In fact, I posted pics of that car here, awhile back.[:I] Not too long before I turned you on to it, as a matter of fact.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

N8N
06-06-2006, 11:50 AM
the regular shop manual has the adjustment procedure for the throttle pressure linkage, call SASCO they should have reprints in stock. I don't know if anyone has the '58 supplement repro but the 56 manual has been reprinted with the '57 supplement and that should be fine. Alternately if you have a later car as well just buy the 59-64 manual. The procedure is basically the same for all cars. The short version is you adjust the throttle rod up at the carb so that the bellcrank is a certain distance away from its stop with the engine at idle (set the idle speed properly first if this has not been done) and then adjust the throttle pressure linkage under the car - it's the rod between the bottom of the bellcrank and the transmission - until it shifts at about the right speeds.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

buddymander
06-06-2006, 09:04 PM
when you checked the fluid level on the stick, did you check both sides of the stick? Just wondering cuz sometimes the tube can keep enough fluid on it to transfer some to te stick when you pull it back out.

Roscomacaw
06-07-2006, 12:06 AM
This car would have the little, bitty stick that you check thru an access plate in the floorboards. No tube.:)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

06-08-2006, 04:16 AM
Does anyone know the correct capacity, in quarts, for a 58 flightomatic? thanks.

Roscomacaw
06-08-2006, 11:29 AM
9 quarts. That would be with an empty torque convertor.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS