This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 Trim wanted

I searching for the stainless trim that runs below the windows on a 55 Studebaker [K body]. Thanks for any help or leads,

Darryl C. Lewallen

I think all hard-tops had pot metal trim. At least on the ones I've had were.
    Klif
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

'55s had stainless at least on coupes, not sure about hardtops.

nate

(very happy to have a '55 coupe and not have to worry about pitted pot metal)

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Well now I'm not sure. JDP, The 55 impersonating a 53 you had or have. Was it a hardtop or coupe. And as far as putting the stainless 55 coupe trim in place of the pot metal trim on my 53 K body, Would it work? Thank you for any information you would provide,

Darryl C. Lewallen
        Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

The door and qtr. trim will not work. Hard-Top to coupe. The K pcs., wrap all the way to the windows, The C post is in the way, door and qtr. The 3 pcs., below the windsheild may.
          Klif
          55 Speedster/Street Machine
          63 Avanti R2
          64 Convertible R1

Comment

My car was a coupe.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
            Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
            64 R2 4 speed Challenger
            63 R2 4 speed GT Black
            63 R2 4 speed GT White
            63 GT Hawk
            63 Avanti
            62 Daytona HT
            53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks for the reply JDP, On the LaPalma show topic [Costatlc 06/04/06] theres a black K body Commander and a Speedster, that if they are 55s [I'm not sure] have trim that looks like what I need to look for [if its stainless]. So I'm back to square one in search of elusive stainless trim from a 55 K body. Anyone know of a Studebaker salvage yard that I might get in touch with? Thanks all,

Darryl C. Lewallen

Comment

OK Darryl. Ya made me look. Parts books say that 55s (K-body) used the same part number trim as '54s. For 53 & part of '54, there were two types of pot metal mouldings used but the difference was in the way they fastened to the body - not what they were made of.[V]
                The 57-58 Golden Hawks MAY have a stainless piece there. The part number's different from the earlier cars. So's the part number for the pieces below the rear quarter windows. Been so long since I looked at a Golden Hawk (in the flesh) that I can't recall if it was stainless or cast stuff!

Again, I want to apologise for having led you on earlier as regards your quest. I had it in my head that you were doing a coupe - not a hardtop. Of course, it looks like it wouldn't have mattered if you WERE doing a coupe because even tho I've continued searhing for the '55 coupe trim I THOUGHT I had, I've yet to find it.[xx(] I've come to the conclusion that I sold it to a young fella in Michigan a couple of years back and just forgot that I'd done so.

An interesting note: The '54 Hardtop that I have here has fair trim on door top and on the opposite door, there's NO plating left on the trim. No pits either! It's as if it was fitted with bare, pot metal mouldings.[:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Biggs, I appreciate you looking for it and for all the useful info you've provided . No applogy nessessary. I'm just trying to come up with the most "frugal" way of keeping the chrome trim under the windows. The first and easiest way would be to weld up all the holes but I think the car looks better with the chrome. The guy thats working on my car has suggested that he could replicate it in stainless steel. Might be cheaper than replating the potmetal. So that leads to the question. Did Studebaker ever make this trim out of stainless and on what? Thanks again,

Darryl C. Lewallen

Comment

As I said earlier, Darryl - if it WAS done in stainless, it would have to be on the 57-58 Golden Hawks. Looking thru the parts books that cover all the K-body cars (excluding GTs of course), the 57-58 Goldens were the only ones that had those specific pieces with said pieces wearing a different part number than the earlier K-bodies - which we know were all pot metal.[}] My gut feeling is that they were pot metal as well, but the different part numbers leave open the possibility. I simply can't recall from memory.[xx(]

Anybody on this forum got a 57 - 58 Golden Hawk they can look at to see if it's upper beltline mouldings are made of stainless???

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob. you are correct, they are pot metal on Golden Hawks.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                      Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
                      64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                      63 R2 4 speed GT Black
                      63 R2 4 speed GT White
                      63 GT Hawk
                      63 Avanti
                      62 Daytona HT
                      53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment