PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up 2R6 master cylinder/gas tank

Euphman21
06-03-2006, 02:04 PM
I discovered last night that my truck is missing its master brake cylinder (the piston rod is just hanging there). I went out on ebay and got another one for $60, which seems like a good deal compared to the parts vendors. Unfortunately all the hardware for bolting it on is gone. The bracket is still there, however. What hardware do I need to bolt the new one on. Oh, and I broke down and bought new brake lines.

While I'm at it, I am also in the process of replacing the gas tank. the last owner badly jerry-rigged a rubber hose from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. What is the proper connection?

Roscomacaw
06-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Which "bracket"? There's two "straps" associated with the installation. Possibly what you're calling a bracket is one of the straps. Also called for are 3 bolts. (2ea) 5/16-24X 3/4" and (1ea)5/16-24X2&1/4":)

As to the gas tank, it gets a metal line that runs along the left side frame rail towards the front and then over to the right. It's connected (from there) to the fuel pump by a flexible line.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Euphman21
06-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks again for your help, Mr. Biggs. It appeared to me that the cylinder is held between two "straps." Is that right? Which bolts go where?

As to the fuel line, do you know where I can find one? None of the parts websites seem to have any. Is it possible to just buy a certain length of fuel line hose and shape it?

I guess the the real answer to all these questions is to buy the shop manual.

Roscomacaw
06-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Yes, it fits between those straps. And those bolts I listed - they serve to mount those straps to the frame and crossmember.
The bolts for the MC itself are (2ea) 3/8-24X3&1/4" (+ nuts and washers of course) They'll go THRU the straps, MC and frame rail. You'll grasp it once you have bolts in hand and are laying under the truck!;)

You can get lengths of 3/8ths" steel brake line at any parts store. The stuff is pretty easily bent with just your hands but don't bend it SO abruptly that it kinks on you! Get enough to reach as far as it has to go, then use rubber fuel line to go from it to the fuel pump. (8 to 12" approx)
Connect the other end to the tank's outlet with a short piece of the rubber line and a couple of clamps.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS