This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brake hoses - GT hawk

Does anyone know if the NAPA part no. 519637 is a good replacement for the front brake hoses on a hawk with drum brakes? I've also seen referenced part no. 523614, which is an inch longer. I don't know the length of the original since they are still on my car. I'm sure I can get these locally, but I just want to be sure to get the right one the first time. Thanks.

Autozone # 88525

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Black
    63 R2 4 speed GT White
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti
    62 Daytona HT
    53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks JDP! Rats! Autozone makes you order in person in a store and I'm 45+ miles to the nearest one. That would mean a trip to order and then another just to pick it up. Is there another brand that is an interchange with Autozone 88525?
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I wonder if Wagner F24970 will work. I saw it mentioned on another Studebaker site.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

It's probably better to get what JDP says. Yes, it's a pain having to go to the store, but it's brakes we're talking about so it's worthwhile to get the best product.

John Clements
          Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

if you check the early (55-?) parts book it gives lengths for some of the brake hoses. Studebaker p/n 523614 is 14-9/16" long and apparently was only used on 55-57. p/n 519637 is exactly 1" shorter and is listed for 56-64. if you don't have the early parts book this is also listed on my web site with what interchanges i've found.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is for the different lengths, if they relocated the frame bracket or if they just discovered that the hoses they were providing were too long (if the latter were the case, though, you'd think the part would have been superceded.)

good luck

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks Nate. I think that helps.

Comment

I don't have any data on NAPA part nos. for the front hoses so if you don't mind once you get it figured out drop me an email or post back and I will put the info on my web site.

BTW I just realized that the original numbers you posted aren't NAPA numbers, they're Studebaker part numbers. Did you manage to find a good parts store that actually has a book old enough to have a Stude part number cross reference? I wouldn't mind having a few hours alone with that book and a photocopier

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                62 Daytona hardtop
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Yes, I was beginning to wonder about those part numbers being Studebaker numbers. If I can find something local that matches the Autozone part I'll let you know.

Comment

You can mail order from Stephen Allen:

Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    58 C Cab
                    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Thanks Dan. I usually do get parts from Studebaker vendors, but these hoses are about $16 or so each from a local house if I can get the right part number. Stephan Allen's is $25 each plus shipping. That's always a back-up plan, though.

Comment

There's a set on Ebay at the moment

A plan "C" kevin

Comment

Those import hoses on ebay are not D.O.T approved, may be fine, let us know. <g>

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                          Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
                          64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                          63 R2 4 speed GT Black
                          63 R2 4 speed GT White
                          63 GT Hawk
                          63 Avanti
                          62 Daytona HT
                          53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment