PDA

View Full Version : my new '60 hawk

diodorus
06-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Well I did it. After 35+ yrs of driving and wishing I had a studebaker like my buddy back in highschool, I picked up a '60 hawk today. I'm in luv. It's 289 is laying on the garage floor. The guys I bought it from put in a 350 so it's a driver, but it's original motor will be reunited with it once I find somebody to rebuild it. I'd like to have someone take a look at the suspension and steering for starters as I'm a little concerned that I'm going to lose my upper molars when I hit bumps. Any input for this rookie would be hugely appreciated. Thanks guys.

rockne10
06-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Way to go!:)
Do you wrench? Have you ordered a shop manual? Have you figured out how to post pictures here?[:p]
Tell us more.

bams50
06-02-2006, 11:14 PM
And, the perpetual question: WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED?!?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680

Roscomacaw
06-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Jim, where are you located? I know a great Stude mechanic near me (central california).

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

diodorus
06-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Hey,thanks for the warm welcome guys. This is Jim, the new guy on the block...'60 Hawk. Well in answer to the most FAQ, I live in New York, the Hudson Valley area, couple hours north of NYC. I'm quickly realizing that most of the expertise and resources are in the Mid-west or South. Yeah, I know which end of the wrench to hold but far from an engine head. Pretty quick study though. Nope, no manuals. And in re your question about my ability to post pictures Rockne...clueless would be the short answer. By the way I bought a few odds n ends with the Stude. E.g., a hood, headlight bezels, taillight trim, GT dashboard, radio ... oh, that reminds me: the car has no antena or hole in the fender for one (?) What's up w/ that?

studegary
06-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Don't assume that Studebaker people are far from you. I and many others are close to you. I am in the Town of Wappinger in Dutchess County, NY. Where are you, more precisely, in the Hudson Valley?

The first thing that you should do is join the Studebaker Drivers Club, Inc. on this web site. They have recently started a new member policy with a reduced membership fee. You will receive an excellent publication monthly. From that you will learn of many sources of NOS, NORS, repro and used parts. There are also people that specialize in work on Studebakers in CT and MA.

Perhaps your Hawk did not originally have a radio.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

StudHawk60
06-04-2006, 08:19 AM
Hi Jim, welcome to the "60 Hawk Club". I've had mine for 11 years now, and take it to the cruise nights about 2-3 times a month. One thing you'll notice is that even though there were only about 4000 Hawks built in 1960, it seems like most of them are still around. Of course, they're not, but you'll notice them more.[:p]

diodorus
06-04-2006, 08:44 AM
You guys are a hoot. I didn't realize when I plunked down the cash for my Hawk that I was buying the whole Sudebaker "experience". I'm at the point where I have a mountain of work on this thing and a shovel full of $$$. But I want it to look like something from the Stud museum next week. Are there meds for this? Jim

rockne10
06-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Take a shop manual, a can of PB Blaster and call me in the morning.[^]

But seriously, you'll find the density of Studebaker owners in the Northeast rivals the West Coast. With 13,000 members in the Studebaker Drivers Club, wherever you happen to be, there aren't others far away.

Check the link on the homepage to find your local chapter and open a world of help.

And, about the PB Blaster, it would be a good idea to get a few cans and start spraying anything and everything that's threaded.

studegary
06-04-2006, 11:47 AM
I have been in contact with him off the forum with information on a vendor, local active SDC Chapters, etc. He has already joined SDC.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Transtar56
06-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Ive got one too,built in Hamilton. Drove it all over the "Rock", Newfoundland last summer,works great.