PDA

View Full Version : 1928 Dictator

Jacks 28
06-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi Guys,
Iím a new, proud owner of a 1928 Studebaker 4 door DictatorÖÖ now what do I do? The car has not ran for about 10 years, looks to be in very good and complete condition. Itís been garage kept. I plan on changing all the fluids, but what do I need to do, and know before I try starting the car.
I'm also in need of s few minor cosmetic items. Cowl light lenses, Door window channles, for now. Most web sites I found were for new Studebakers. Anyone out there have any good part resources for my 1928?

Thanks
Jack

Roscomacaw
06-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Jack, Welcome to the wonderful world of Studebakers. This forum DOES recognize ALL Studebakers BUT - we're pretty much focused on the post-WWII era editions since they're ultimately more roadable and parts are abundant for them.

There's the Antique Studebaker Club to join and they've got a great bi-monthly magazine with a big classified section therein each month. They also have a website.
There's another Antique Car website that has a rather lively discussion forum where you'd be more likely to get specific answers to your questions than here. Of course, I don't officially speak for THIS forum and others might chime in with some helpful hints. Let's hope so.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Scott
06-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Hi Jacks28,

Maybe the other members can chime in, but a good source for really old parts has been A & M garage in New Jersey. It used to be run by Tony Caralla, but he died and his daughter took over. Their stock covered a huge range of years for Studebaker. Maybe another member can tell us if they are still around and what the contact information is.

Mr, Biggs, don't scare these pre-war guys away. The Antique Studebaker Club does not have an online forum where people can interact - I know you say they do, but I've never seen it on their site. If there is one, it's either new or they keep it well hidden. Maybe we can do more than tell them to go talk to to the other club.;)

stude53
06-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Welcome, Jack

I read your post and immediately thought of a Studebaker Story on the SDC home site that tells from one perspective the first five things to do after you buy a Studebaker (see link below), and at the bottom of [u]that article </u>is a link to a tech note - a more serious note on the same subject.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/fivethings.asp

I enjoyed reading them and I think you might too.

Regards,
Bob (stude53)

mbstude
06-02-2006, 08:45 PM
I think we should encourage all prewar guys to join here as well. Yes, the Antique Club DOES have a forum, on the AACA site. It's here, but not very active. Scrool down for Studes. http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php?Cat=0

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
South Georgia Chapter
63 Daytona HT (project)
51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars
http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101
And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

rockne10
06-02-2006, 09:45 PM
There are a handful of us who visit the AACA forum; I was surprised to see Matthew there.

Since their interests are so broad, it's not surprising that there is not much activity in most individual categories. You can post a question and not receive an answer for weeks or months, if ever.

I usually tell inquirers to contact the Antique Studebaker Club, as most don't seem to know it exists.
If there are postwar questions I can't help with I usually suggest they join our little group here.

Believe it or not, there are still late model Studebaker owners who are unaware of the SDC.:(

It would be nice to get more prewar traffic here. I've been an ASC member for fifteen years but the only model I have enough knowledge about to help someone is the Rockne.

Perhaps, if we know people within our regions who share an interest in these older cars, and we can access their email, we can email the topic to them and encourage them to respond on this forum.
there is a "email this topic" tab at the top of this page.

In fact, I just mailed this whole thread to George Rohrbach.:D

Roscomacaw
06-02-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm not trying to run ANYBODY off, just laying out the reality of the situation. Dwain knows a bit about prewar cars - maybe more than I sense. Dick Quinn sorta looks in here. Maybe he'll afford us some of his prewar know-how (He's the editor of the ASC's great magazine!)

As I said, their club newsletter offers what MUST BE the most concentrated bank of STUDEBAKER-SPECIFIC parts sources for these earlier models.
Most of the parts vendors that WE here deal with on a regular basis won't even know what it is you're looking for most of the time (regarding anything earlier than a '39 or '40 model).

Jack, E-mail me your address and I'll send you an older copy of their newsletter/magazine.

Beyond changing fluids, change anything rubber - hoses, fan belt, rubber brake parts (I think by '28 they all had hydraulic brakes, no?):D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

studeboy28
06-03-2006, 04:42 AM
I own a 28 Dictator. They do not have hydaulic brakes! They have 4 wheel mechanic brakes. Builds up your leg muscles and sense of distance when driving.

Please don't send people off immediately to the other site. It is so inactive that people wait weeks for amswers if they get them. You guys have more collective knowledge than you give yourself credit for.

On the knowledge front with GE dictators(28-29) . Be careful when purchasing parts as they made 3 types (as was common in all models that year) and they are very different and many parts are not interchangeable. These changes involve body parts as well as mechanical parts.

If the car overheats take the side cover off the engine and fush out all the junk with a hose. While you have it apart make sure you use a wire to clean out the ports between the block and the head!(Don't ask how I know this.) These models have a side mounted water pump and generator shaft setup. The shafts are sealed with ordinary old fashion water faucet packing material and screw caps. Replace the graphite packing material and turn down the nuts just snug (one is reverse threaded). Run the engine and slowly tighten nut just a little more until the drip stops. These shafts wear at the packing point and sometimes need to be disaasembled and built up.

Good luck. I love my 28 Dictator six, just had it out touring last weekend. Started right up after setting 5 months, changed the oil and greased her and she was good to go. Not bad for an almost 80 year old car.

28 dictator
40 commander

rockne10
06-03-2006, 08:47 AM
From the tech page on this website; what to do once you bought that car. This article assumes you have hydraulic brakes but is a good overview of what to look at before you try to drive a car that's been sitting for a while and contains much that would still apply to any old car.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_things2do.asp

Scott
06-03-2006, 09:48 AM
You're right Mr. Biggs that joining the Antique Studebaker Club is a good idea for Jack. Absolutely! But for more or less instant gratification of Studebaker curiosity nothing online beats this forum!

Roscomacaw
06-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Well then - looks like studeboy28 is Jack's new mentor. Such a deal.

Maybe we should try and court a few prewar techies to drop in here on a regular basis. How about contacting those who answer questions on that other site to come by here from time to time?[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

avantilover
06-03-2006, 05:55 PM
I noticed the suggestion to replace all the rubber parts, what about replacing the glass too???

They used to use plate glass back then and the newer laminated glass would be a safer way to go.

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!

studegary
06-03-2006, 07:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by Scott

Hi Jacks28,

Maybe the other members can chime in, but a good source for really old parts has been A & M garage in New Jersey. It used to be run by Tony Caralla, but he died and his daughter took over. Their stock covered a huge range of years for Studebaker. Maybe another member can tell us if they are still around and what the contact information is.

A&M Garage has always been in The Bronx (NYC), New York (not New Jersey). AFAIK, Tony's grandson still handles parts from The Bronx and service from Westchester County, New York.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

mbstude
06-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Here's an idea: Add a prewar section to the forum, like the General Discussion, Obituaries, etc. Why not add one for the prewar guys? [8D]

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
South Georgia Chapter
63 Daytona HT (project)
51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars
http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101
And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

kmul221
06-03-2006, 08:52 PM
I know of a 28 & 31 Studebakers that are parts cars,I'm not sure what models they are but both are 4drs. & sixes.There is not a heck of a lot left on either but if interchangable with Dictator I will look for the window channel thingees.As soon as it stops raining around here I will go out & check if all 4 door have the same doors ??? let me know & I will report back

studeboy28
06-03-2006, 09:29 PM
In response to the suggestion to replace all the glass and rubber. With a car of the GE vintage you should check and make sure the parts are available before you disassemble something that may be usable as is. You might destroy something irreplacible or at least usable as a pattern.

That being said Steve Munts makes a lot of replacement rubber parts for early Studebakers.

Does anyone out there know where I can find belt molding fasteners for a 1940 Commander? part # 1623X. I have looked at most of the usual suppliers and found nothing equivalent.

28 dictator
40 commander

Jacks 28
06-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi
When I read the fist replay for information, I was a little disappointed with wording of this club welcoming committee. Iíve had Buicks and a Cadillac, and the response on there club sites that have been overwhelmingly friendly and extremely helpful. Most car club members love to talk about there cars and inform others of there success, as well as what they have learned. This is the oldest car Iíve had and Iím having trouble finding manuals and information about my 1928 Dictator. Most vendors are post war suppliers. I was hoping to get information from members who they would recommend on any pre war suppliers I didnít see any distinction between pre or post war cars on this site. If there is a great divide amongst the pre and post war cars, your right there should be a section on this site to identify what discussion forum you should be on. When I signed up for this site, I was looking for the BEST and most experience site to get information. I really appreciate the helpful information that some of you have suggested.
Thanks
Jack

Roscomacaw
06-05-2006, 11:47 AM
We'll do what we can, Jack. While I'm not exactly sure of the timeline, I believe the Antique Studebaker Club came to be after SDC did. What the drive was to do so, I can't recall. But nonetheless, it's persisted alongside SDC and is healthy and active even if one might deduce from it's website that it wasn't.
Having recieved the ASC's newsletter for several years, I can testify to it being worth the membership fees to have a FRESH list of vendors (who cater to the older cars) in your hands every two months.:D

I repeat my offer to send you a copy or two of the most recent ASC newsletters for you to review. I'm sure alot of the vendors you'll find therein are still in business.
E-mail me your street address and I'll pop them in the mail today.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Roscomacaw
06-05-2006, 06:09 PM
They're on their way, Jack. Hope you get some help from them.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

avantilover
06-05-2006, 06:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jacks 28

Hi
When I read the fist replay for information, I was a little disappointed with wording of this club welcoming committee. Iíve had Buicks and a Cadillac, and the response on there club sites that have been overwhelmingly friendly and extremely helpful. Most car club members love to talk about there cars and inform others of there success, as well as what they have learned. This is the oldest car Iíve had and Iím having trouble finding manuals and information about my 1928 Dictator. Most vendors are post war suppliers. I was hoping to get information from members who they would recommend on any pre war suppliers I didnít see any distinction between pre or post war cars on this site. If there is a great divide amongst the pre and post war cars, your right there should be a section on this site to identify what discussion forum you should be on. When I signed up for this site, I was looking for the BEST and most experience site to get information. I really appreciate the helpful information that some of you have suggested.
Thanks
Jack

Can I suggest trying Walter Miller Auto Literature http://www/autolit.com, they don't list the manuals on their site but may be able to locate them for you.

It's easy to search for Stude (and other) items, select the make and the year and go from there. Also try ebay.

Good luck and regards from Sth Australia

John Clements

avantilover
06-05-2006, 06:32 PM
I did a search for Studebaker 1928 on ebay and there is a store 1eZwire who lists a 1928 Dictator wiring CD, they say they have other items too.

do a search for the following item number 8068562609.

Happy Studebakering:D

John Clements