PDA

View Full Version : speeds of the r series

pete
06-02-2006, 05:36 AM
well some tests reveil 120 mph from a r1 but some like my bros lark had 138 out of it and a r2 good for 140 plus and a r3 with all the goods about 170 plus in 2003 year a r5 reached 211 and 222 mph the old r5 of 1963 driven by andy 196 mph avarage though horse power on the dyno up to 664 hp and 780 torque plus so guys who has had high speed out of there stude

DEEPNHOCK
06-02-2006, 07:33 AM
Metric Speedometer?
I'd like to see 'the tests'....

quote:Originally posted by pete

well some tests reveil 120 mph from a r1 but some like my bros lark had 138 out of it and a r2 good for 140 plus and a r3 with all the goods about 170 plus in 2003 year a r5 reached 211 and 222 mph the old r5 of 1963 driven by andy 196 mph avarage though horse power on the dyno up to 664 hp and 780 torque plus so guys who has had high speed out of there stude

Dan White
06-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Its all in the gearing!

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

JDP
06-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Just to be clear, there was no R5 run in 2003, the one and only one run was in 1963 or late 62. Dual superchargers do not make a R5. By the way, it was never called a R5 until the name was made up later.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
Studebaker News Group
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
64 Daytona HT
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Black
63 R2 4 speed GT White
63 GT Hawk
63 Avanti
62 Daytona HT
53 Coupe

buddymander
06-02-2006, 10:10 PM
So how fast does that mean my 1949 R12 is sposta go??

chocolate turkey
06-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Got stopped in radar at 139.5 mph. It's all in the gears.......

Brian

Brian K. Curtis

imported_n/a
06-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Well, yoou can intrerchange Ram Air VII Pontiac parts right onto an R-5, and end up with an R-12. This combo will go airborne & fly right off into the stratosphere and cause global worming. Or at least thats whaat I here.

mbstude
06-03-2006, 09:07 PM
I have a R15. (2R15, actually) It'll sure pull a load, don't know about speed though. :D

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
South Georgia Chapter
63 Daytona HT (project)
51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars
http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101
And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

pete
06-03-2006, 09:21 PM
well if you do your home work even on the nett youll see there were runs from an avanti r5 304,5 cu.in either 2002 or 2003 ron hall was the driver and others even back in 1963 4 it was called an r5 twin blowers dry sump fuel ing.. an r4 is just with 2-4 bll carbs set up like the r3 motor with the double valve springs etc but no supercharger if you look youll find the r4 s true hp is 360 not 280 remember hp ratings were conservative only and yes gear ratio matters stude did have some down as tall as 2.5 for high speed all above said can be checked out for truth so

pete
06-03-2006, 09:30 PM
also its serprising how many americans never herd of studebaker but ozz and new zealand every one nos the stude make also usa history we seem to kwow more about usa than a lot of americans funny that let alone wats wat with cars

studegary
06-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Ron Hall did not have an R5. I don't remember exactly when he died, but I do not believe that Ron Hall was even alive in 2002 or 2003, so he couldn't have been doing any driving. Studebaker rated the R4 at 280 Hp @ 5000 RPM. Don't believe everything that you read on the net. Just this evening, I sent a correction in to a fancy web site.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

mbstude
06-03-2006, 09:32 PM
I think that Ron Hall passed on in 91 or 92. [V] Not sure though...

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
South Georgia Chapter
63 Daytona HT (project)
51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars
http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101
And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

pete
06-03-2006, 10:00 PM
to above oh well wat ever just wondered wat actaul speeds the r motors will do in your cars mine will prob do only 105 if lucky ill never try it i was going by books etc about the salt speed runs etc maybe things on the nett is all bull who nos i have print outs of speed runs seems true blue but

Alan
06-04-2006, 01:16 AM
R-5, "Due Cento" EX-2942 September 1963 196.62 but it did not set a record for it's class.
229" car EX-2143 Sept 63 147.347 (record)E/Gas
Sept 66, with 427 Ford Cammer 175.699 (R)B/Gas Coupe
Sept 67, with Ford 177.028 (R) B/Gas Coupe
Oct 68, with Ford 182.867 we had to go back up in Oct. since we sat around in Wendover for almost 2 weeks while it rained, told to go home and called back a couple of weeks later.
Sept 72 305 Chrysler Roots supercharged on Alky. 221.812 (R) C/Fuel Coupe

BobPalma
06-04-2006, 06:47 AM
Ron Hall passed away February 2, 1996. He achieved his Official Bonneville top speed of 200.426 on September 22, 1993. :) BP

DEEPNHOCK
06-04-2006, 07:34 AM
Wow, an authentic New Zealand Stude troll!
Welcome to the forum....
You'll fit right in;)
Jeff[8D]

also its serprising how many americans never herd of studebaker but ozz and new zealand every one nos the stude make also usa history we seem to kwow more about usa than a lot of americans funny that let alone wats wat with cars

studegary
06-04-2006, 01:19 PM
[quote]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Wow, an authentic Australian Stude troll!
Welcome to the forum....
You'll fit right in;)
Jeff[8D]

[quote]

New Zealand, not Australia, to be correct, which you know me for <G,G>.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

DEEPNHOCK
06-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Good catch Gary!
Thanks!
Jeff[8D]

quote:
New Zealand, not Australia, to be correct, which you know me for <G,G>.
Gary L.

pete
06-06-2006, 05:24 AM
troll could be taken as an afence so could you please say what you mean by troll may not be taken nicely

DEEPNHOCK
06-06-2006, 07:26 AM
You are right.. Some slang does not travel well across borders...
On the 'net it is sometimes used to describe a jester who writes something to draw a certain response. Sort of like how a guy fishing might 'troll' a 'bait' to see what he can catch...
Didn't mean to use it in a derogatory way..
Jeff[8D]

troll could be taken as an afence so could you please say what you mean by troll may not be taken nicely

wagone
06-11-2006, 04:10 PM
I find this discussion interesting and even humorous. Does any respondent here have any indepth details on Studebaker's Bonneville efforts from August'62 or October'63? Has any author written up these details in Turning Wheels over the years? I'm old enough and dumb enough to have kept some of the magazines of 40 plus years ago which carried coverage of the early '60s Bonneville efforts. As a result I've tried myself to fill in some of the pieces--my main interest is in R2 Avantis. From what I can gather Studebaker did not take an R2 Avanti to the salt flats. The only R2 at the flats in October of '63 was a Hawk (apparently) which appeared to run in the range of 135-140 mph. Granatelli stated in his book that a stock R2 Avanti was timed on the flats at 158.19 mph (or very close to that--my memory doesn't permit me to state for sure but I know that it was 158 something). However we all know what a showman Andy was (is, as I believe that he is still "with us") and I'm inclined to believe an R2 Avanti couldn't possibly have reached that speed without the help of some R3 massaging. But if indeed this was a stock R2 Andy could have been saying that the top speed was 158.19 and thus the FIA AVERAGE would have been about 150--very fast for the times. And what we all have to remember is that USAC recorded these speeds to international rules (FIA regs.). Whether USAC rules required that or Studebaker asked for this I don't know but the point is that these were AVERAGE speeds not top end. By average what is meant is that not only are they the average of two runs in opposite directions to account for wind but are the AVERAGE over the timed course--that is the timing clocks start when the wheels start moving from a dead stop at the beginning of the run and thus include the time getting up to speed. So the true top speed of an R3 Avanti with one supercharger and Carter AFB on the 304.5 ci stock block is within a whisker of 180 mph. Rather phenomenal for the early 1960s with an engine originally designed back in the late 1940s. Just before the Avanti set records at Bonneville in the stock class at some 168 miles per hour to USAC/FIA requirements Mickey Thompson had previously held the record in a Pontiac at some 15 miles an hour slower. Several years ago I ran into a gentleman at a race venue in Wisconsin (RA) who said his father had been a publicist for Granatelli and he (the son) had kept a number of press releases his father had written. He was going to "dig" them up and mail me copies but that never happened. Anyone out there able to enlighten me further? I'm more interested in the Studebaker history than in the current Bonneville efforts (but still have an appreciation for the present efforts and money involved) and have thought about trying to write an article for TW but am lacking a few details. But then TW would probably reject my efforts in any event. (I've gone so far as to complete a first rough draft, though.).:):)

wagone with the R2 Avanti

Alan
06-11-2006, 06:49 PM
I gave all that information to Sonny Josker that I got from Joe Granatelli, Sonny has it on his racingstudebakers web site.

wagone
06-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Alan, I've tried the racingstudebakers website and all I find is a very basic and sketchy outline of the company's history with very little or nothing in the way of salt flat efforts by Studebaker or the Granatellis. This frustrates me as I would very much like to read comments by Joe or Andy or Vince or Sherwood Egbert or the Engineering Office cleaning lady at South Bend. If this info exists were the H. is it?[?][?][?]:(:(:(

wagone

sbca96
06-12-2006, 11:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

You are right.. Some slang does not travel well across borders...
On the 'net it is sometimes used to describe a jester who writes something to draw a certain response. Sort of like how a guy fishing might 'troll' a 'bait' to see what he can catch...
Didn't mean to use it in a derogatory way..
Jeff[8D]

Pete .. feel free to read up on what a troll is, its usually meant in
a negative way, pretty much saying that you are purposely posting crap
to get people upset and start a fight. I have never known it to be a
good thing to be called. Certainly the Impala forum doesnt use it as
a term of endearment :

http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

http://curezone.com/forums/troll.asp

http://www.wikinfo.org/wiki.php?title=Internet_troll

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

http://isp.webopedia.com/TERM/T/troll.html

Anyway .. Welcome to the Forum, dont get scared away!

Tom

monomaniac
06-13-2006, 10:06 AM
To Wagone:
Why would TW reject your efforts? You have me interested in this topic. If you have written something send it to TW and let us have a look. Or make it a project for a feature article. You might get additional info from Richard Quinn. Plus there's always this resource (meaning this forum).

Alan
06-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Wagone, It is there, ask Sonny how to get to it.

JDP
06-13-2006, 06:16 PM
I have all the records on a 2 page flyer from Paxton somewhere. I'll look for it. The Avanti records are on a banner I repopped.

(Click on image for bigger pix.)

http://stude.com/AvantiBanner.jpg

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
Studebaker News Group
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
64 Daytona HT
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Black
63 R2 4 speed GT White
63 GT Hawk
63 Avanti
62 Daytona HT
53 Coupe

wagone
06-14-2006, 05:34 PM
JDP, I have a "copy" of the banner but that leaves a lot of holes unanswered. For instance:
-the implication is that all the records in the
huge total were set in 1963 but in fact some of
them were set in 1962.
-the implication is that 12 vehicles were used to
set the records when a close review of the list
leads one to the inescapable conclusion that only
five or six cars actually set records.
-as I've said on an earlier thread on this subject
I've spent a fair amount of time on this issue
reviewing the list of records and the magazine
articles and my conclusion (some of you may
remember that I've recently moved--and been away
from this forum--and can't immediately put my
hands on the rough draft I'd put together) from
my rusty memory is that one or possibly two R3
Avantis, two R3 Larks (one convertible and one
closed car), one R2 Hawk, and the "lowly" six
cylinder car (I don't have enough details to be
completely sure, the Hawk MIGHT have had dual
AFBs) were used to set the records
-remember that no dual quad Hawks nor any factory
R3 Larks were ever sold to the public but the
factory and the Granatellis sure played around
with them.

The magazines had on loan an R4 Daytona convertible for a short time and an R3 Lark. My belief is that the factory likely asked for them back, probably in December of 1963 or sooner. I'm tempted (sort of..) to massage my writeup in hopes that TW would agree to use it. However I'm a "nobody" and TW is not likely to give credence to my efforts--someone known to the exalted leadership of the SDC needs to do this (submit an article) and, frankly, I'm surprised that the subject hasn't "been done to death" in TW--and for all I know it has. My inability to find any SDC articles on the subject is what prompted me to undertake my search. I'm going to try (as has been suggested) to get with Sonny and see what he has. It is just possible that with his information and what I've done I can fill in the "missing holes". However, if in fact this matter has not been adequately covered in TW in the past, I'm still left as an unknown commodity as far as the SDC lords and masters are concerned.:(:(:D:D:D:D

wagone and the R2 Avanti

My apologies for how this turned out. The examples in the middle part were supposed to be shifted to the right--but at least (I think)it is all readable!

Dick Steinkamp
06-14-2006, 08:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by wagone

JDP, I'm tempted (sort of..) to massage my writeup in hopes that TW would agree to use it. However I'm a "nobody" and TW is not likely to give credence to my efforts--someone known to the exalted leadership of the SDC needs to do this (submit an article)... I'm still left as an unknown commodity as far as the SDC lords and masters are concerned.

There are plenty of us "nobodys" on this forum (including me) who have submitted material to TW and have been published. If we all felt how you do, there wouldn't be a TW. It's OUR club...not a club of some "lords and masters". Your potential article sounds very interesting. I for one hope you research it, write it, and submit it. It's what this club is all about.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

sbca96
06-15-2006, 01:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
There are plenty of us "nobodys" on this forum (including me)

Your not a "nobody" ... everyone knows Dick Steinkamp!;)

Tom

avantilover
06-15-2006, 05:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by sbca96

There are plenty of us "nobodys" on this forum (including me)

Tom

Dick Steinkamp? Never heard of him LOL:D:D:D:D

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!

Dick Steinkamp
06-15-2006, 11:05 AM

Trust me on this one :). Some of the 1,000 folks who post here may know OF me...only because I blabber on at a more prolific rate than the average poster [:o)]. I wrote the one article I submitted to TW about 4 1/2 years ago...long before there was even an SDC forum. I've been to two national meets in my life (both on the west coast) and have never held a position at SDC or at a local chapter. If you looked up "nobody" in the dictionary...you'll find a picture of me. :D

IMHO, the magazine would be far less interesting if it didn't include members' storys, tips, and history lessons. If you've got a good story in your head, get it on paper (or computer) and send it in. If for no other reason but that you OWE it to the club for everything it's done for you.

Here's something else I've been thinking of that probably adds to "name recognition". I've always used my (real) name as my screen name. I never have seen a reason to do otherwise. Over at Studebaker Truck Talk, a high percentage of the posters use their real names. It's the opposite here. Maybe I'm being naive about this, but what are the reasons you would use a "screen name" rather than your real name?

N8N
06-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Don't sell yourself short Dick, I "know" you as "the guy that owns the prettiest @#$%#%^&%$^&* postwar Stude I know of"

Dave, don't get your nosehairs in an uproar, Dick just gets my vote because I'm an unashamed sucker for black cars and a stickshift snob :)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
06-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Dick WHO?[?][?][?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

sbca96
06-15-2006, 05:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Dick WHO?[?][?][?]

Ah ... Mr Biggs, you dont know Dick.;)

Tom

avantilover
06-15-2006, 05:36 PM

Trust me on this one :). Some of the 1,000 folks who post here may know OF me...only because I blabber on at a more prolific rate than the average poster [:o)]. I wrote the one article I submitted to TW about 4 1/2 years ago...long before there was even an SDC forum. I've been to two national meets in my life (both on the west coast) and have never held a position at SDC or at a local chapter. If you looked up "nobody" in the dictionary...you'll find a picture of me. :D

IMHO, the magazine would be far less interesting if it didn't include members' storys, tips, and history lessons. If you've got a good story in your head, get it on paper (or computer) and send it in. If for no other reason but that you OWE it to the club for everything it's done for you.

Here's something else I've been thinking of that probably adds to "name recognition". I've always used my (real) name as my screen name. I never have seen a reason to do otherwise. Over at Studebaker Truck Talk, a high percentage of the posters use their real names. It's the opposite here. Maybe I'm being naive about this, but what are the reasons you would use a "screen name" rather than your real name?

I used a screen name as the forum asked for one, besides it's easier if there ever happens to be another member with the same name joining the list:)

There are at least 6 John Alexander Clements listed as customers of my bank, imagine if we were all on the SDC forum[:0][:p]:D

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!

Guido
06-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Dick,

From your picture, you look a lot like David Orth (also from Washington) who posts on STT. Are you sure you were not separated at birth?

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
1962 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser
And various other "treasures"

Laemmle
06-15-2006, 11:09 PM
My brother's R-1 Avanti with 3.07 posi was able to achieve just about 140...this with 4-speed. I believe an R-2 with the same gears would do at least 150...

Dick Steinkamp
06-15-2006, 11:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by Guido

Dick,

From your picture, you look a lot like David Orth (also from Washington) who posts on STT. Are you sure you were not separated at birth?

Nah...David's a whole lot younger than me...but I'm a whole lot better lookin' ;)

David got lost and has posted a few here as 48M5. Hope he sticks around. A great resource.

R2Andrea
06-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Wagone.
There was one R3 Commander ordered and built by the factory for a customer. It is 64V19588, and is alive and well and located in Ohio.
There was one R4 Daytona HT ordered and built by the factory for a customer. It is 64V15405. It exists somewhere toward the east coast in (as I am told) poor condition. The original R4 had been replaced with an R3 by Paxton prior to their having sold it in 1967. This car was the subject of a great magazine article in Car Life. This article can be viewed on the Studebaker Racing website.
And don't forget the nine R3 Avantis built here on the Assembly line. Any vehicles other than these were built up either in Engineering, or at Paxton for Bonneville or other "official" purposes. The vast majority of R3 or R4 powered cars out there are "aftermarket" conversions done by the vehicle owner, dealer or by Paxton.
R2Andy
The Hot Rod Magazine R3 Daytona Test Car Survives as well.

R2Andy

R2Andrea
06-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Let me ammend my previous post. The R4 Daytona article from Car Life magazine is found on the Racing Studebakers website, not the Studebaker Racing website.
As long as your article is well written and ACCURATE, I don't see why it wouldn't be accepted by Turning Wheels.

R2Andy

monomaniac
06-20-2006, 03:42 PM
We DEFINITELY accept submissions to TW from nobodies. We even accept it if written in another language. We can translate most languages including American.
Your subject matter is indeed interesting. Get the facts together, type them on computer, or hard copy or handwritten, or crayon and let us peruse your efforts.

Art

PackardV8
06-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Greetings, Dick,

FWIW, I have done a quite a bit of technical and commercial writing over the years, including a few automotive magazine articles. If you have any use for a collaborative look at your efforts before you submit it, I would be honored to assist in any way you see fit. Of course, the by-line remains all yours.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8

bams50
06-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Just read an article that states all of what the OP said (as near as I can decipher [xx(]).

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

JBOYLE
06-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Is the ratio listed on the build sheet or factory inspection sheets?

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

Laemmle
06-20-2006, 11:53 PM
Yes, if it was special ordered