View Full Version : Trunk undercoating

06-01-2006, 09:23 PM
I am up to restoring the trunk area on my 1940 commander. It appears to have some kind of undercoating material sprayed on. It is brown and feels sort of felt like. what is it? Is there a modern equivalent that will give the same effect?

28 dictator
40 commander

Dwain G.
06-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Sounds like you are describing the lost art of 'flocking'. As far as I know it is original to a 1940 Studebaker. It was spayed or blown on, usually in two steps. Adhesive first, then the rayon material flock.
It was also big as an aftermarket item in the 'reconditioning' business. What we call 'detailing' today.

Dwain G.

06-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Check out this site:


Flocking supplies and how-to!