This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 Lark HT, Saveable?

I just got this 59 2-dr ht lark in a complicated deal. I got it as a parts car, but now I'm wondering about fixing it. Has the normal midwest rust. Needs floors, rockers, etc. Trunk has no rust though.

Even though I have tinkered on alot of studes I've never done floor work, etc though I have a wire welder.

Whats your guys opinion on fixing it? worth it? I'm debating.

KF

Personally, I think it's saveable. We've redone cars 10 times worse than that. Our 51 coupe barely had a floor at all. I like the early Lark HT's; or any Lark HT for that matter. If it was me, I'd save it.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
    South Georgia Chapter
    63 Daytona HT (project)
    51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
    52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars

And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
    And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Comment

I agree; this is saveable. Floor pans are available from Classic Enterprises classicent.com

Any restoration is a PITA but, if there are going to be parts cars, let them be sedans. Ten years from now we will kick ourselves for letting any of them go.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

That car wouldn't be too tough to restore at all.

Comment

It could be saved given enough time and money. You'll be way upside down in the car money wise, but if that is not a factor, it could be saved. Sort of like the cheap Avanti I should have shot in the head this month and it was much nicer. I'm 2K in parts and over 100 hours of labor in so far trying to build a decent driver.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
          Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
          64 R2 4 speed Challenger
          63 R2 4 speed GT Black
          63 R2 4 speed GT White
          63 GT Hawk
          63 Avanti
          62 Daytona HT
          53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

You're actually going to fix up that cheap Avanti? [:0]
            Nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti...

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
            South Georgia Chapter
            63 Daytona HT (project)
            51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
            52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars

And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
            And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Comment

Thanks for assuring me I haven't gone crazy thinking I can fix it. Really it wouldn't be that bad since I can get NOS rear fenders, but I would have to find some better front fenders.

If I do make it a long term project it will get upgraded to a 259 w/ 3od, sure would make it a fun car.

KF

Comment

There is Nothing Like A Lark.....I especially like the steering wheel the 57-58-59's Studes used. Bottom Line is, if the bottom line doesn't matter for now, go for it. I think that the old, old "economy cars" are going to gain momentum one of these days, and the interest in mega-cid muscle cars may decline, simply because even driving them around the block will cost too darn much. But, being able to drive a restored classic auto with 20+ mpg capability and decent performance to a car meet 500 miles away would make this car very attractive to enthusiasts in years to come .

Comment

A lot of collectors can't afford to spend 5-10K upfront for a nice 59 HT, but are will to spend double that spread over a few yesrs on a lesser car. By the time they are done, the market may catch up with them. I have the luxury of buying rust free cars from out west, but I've done my share of rust belt cars when I was younger.
                  At my age, anything involving more then a floor patch or rocker panels replacement is a deal breaker.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                  Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
                  64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                  63 R2 4 speed GT Black
                  63 R2 4 speed GT White
                  63 GT Hawk
                  63 Avanti
                  62 Daytona HT
                  53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

Packebaker, I agree with you about the stering wheels that Studebaker used in those years, I think it is one of the most attractive steering wheels Studebaker ever used, mabeye one of the most attractive wheels used by any manufacturer in the 50"s except mabeye the 58 Plymouth.

Comment

John hit the nail on the head...we'd all like to just buy a #1 or #2 car in the model we'd like... but for most it's hard to shell out the kind of money it takes to do that. And if you do, it's tough for most to really be sure that the car is what's claimed, and not a hack job!

You get the benefit of knowing for sure exactly what's really been done; plus the satisfaction of accomplishment; and best of all, the satisfaction of knowing that you saved a good old car from going to the crusher, and preserved it for future car lovers!!

Go for it, and keep us updated with lots of pics!!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

Comment

I agree with saving it 100%. If it were a sedan in that condition-parts car. But those early Lark hardtops are cute as a button and I feel that if you keep it a few years you'll probaly be able to at least get your money back,assuming your doing the work yourself, They don't make them anymore,and there are only so many hardtops around.
                        I too,have restored a couple of Studebakers that were worse,my 54 Commander coupe had nothing left of the floors but the transmission tunnel,even the frame outriggers that the body mounts on at the firewall were rusted right off at the frame. I used a lot of Classic enterprises panels on that car,but when it was done there wasn't a ripple in her cream body,with black roof anywhere,the thing was beautiful!
                        Was it worth it? Definitly! Would I do it again, No!
                        But if I had your car I sure would.

Comment

That car needs to be saved. Not parted. There are enough parts around. Some one would be glad to save it. jimmijim8
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

You can purchase a real nice 4 door to use as a parts car for that one. I have the 259 V8, 3 speed overdrive, and totally rust free 4 door to prove it. The 4 doors just don't seem to be worth the effort to save them as I can't seem to get a bid higher than what I paid for the car before I put bunch of money into it. Good thing they make such good drivers as I am getting my value from using the car daily.

1961 Lark

Comment

A hardtop anything is worth saving if at all possible.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President 2-dr
                              1955 President State
                              1951 Champion Biz cpe
                              1963 Daytona project FS
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X