This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine out of long-term storage question

I posted some this question to the Studebaker Newsgroup, but for those who don't follow it, I'd like anyone's thoughts on the question. I am selling my NOS R-3 engine which is in the Studebaker National Museum. This engine has never been installed or run so
    it has basically been sitting for 43 or 44 years. I told the buyer that I thought it probably should be gone over (seals, gaskets, etc.). Anyone have any thoughts about bringing it out of storage?
    Thanks,
    Paul Johnson

I have to ask, how did you sell that engine for????

To answer your question, yes, I would want to take the engine apart and "refresh" anything that needed it.

1955 President

Job: Student @ Penn State
    Love of Studebakers?: High

Comment

I would certainly suspect at least one bore with problems, as there's always one valve open somewhere and humidity + 43 years might not have done the cylinder wall metal finish much good.
      /H

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53k

I posted some this question to the Studebaker Newsgroup, but for those who don't follow it, I'd like anyone's thoughts on the question. I am selling my NOS R-3 engine which is in the Studebaker National Museum. This engine has never been installed or run so
        it has basically been sitting for 43 or 44 years. I told the buyer that I thought it probably should be gone over (seals, gaskets, etc.). Anyone have any thoughts about bringing it out of storage?
        Thanks,
        Paul Johnson
        That R3 would be mighty sweet in your new red convertable, Paul []!!

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53k

Thanks,
          Paul Johnson
          Actually, for what that engine must be worth (priceless), I'd see if Ted would do a complete teardown, measurement, inspection, etc. It may need nothing, but I sure wouldn't fire it until I knew for sure.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

IS the crank heavy enough to have "remodled" the main bearings.

Comment

You kids are very entertaining. But seriously, an engine tht has never been run and has sat in storage is still subject to corrosion on the valve seats and cylinder walls, if not carefully protected beforehand. It is the nature of cast iron parts to accumulate moisture from the environment in which they are stored because the cast iron parts lag behind the ambient(surrounding)air in storing heat then cooling and vice versa, and therefore, condensation of airborne moisture will occur on large cast iron parts. This causes rust pitting of critical wear surfaces such as cylinder walls, and consequently,the engine will not run like it should. So, has this engine been thoroughly oiled to prevent internal corrosion and all openings sealed, with long-term storage in mind? I think that a good indicator of this is whether or not it will readily turn over with a socket and breaker bar on the capscrew securing the harmonic balancer, and the spark plugs removed. If not, then the engine will have to be disassembled and the usual rebuilding procedures will have to be applied. Running an engine that was "stuck" and freeing it up by various means may be enough for some, but will not be a very healthy motor if the car it is used in is to be something more than a Museum piece. , I think that pulling the heads on this engine, and advertising it as such(partially disassembled), so that the buyer can see for themselves what they are getting, is the best way to get the fairest price for both buyer and seller. Reassembly (or repair, i needed)by the purchaser, would be but a fraction of the value of this engine.

Comment

In response to the prior question on price, I understand after the sale Paul was able to purchase a nice '64 Daytona convertible.

Guido

1946 M-16 fire truck
                1949 2R16A grain truck
                1949 2R17A fire truck
                1955 E-38 grain truck
                1957 3E-40 flatbed
                1961 6E-28 grain truck
                1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
                1962 Champ pickup
                1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
                1964 Cruiser