PDA

View Full Version : '57 six question

tomnoller
05-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Sometimes the ol' Champion can be embarassing, when trying to restart hot. In the first half-second, it acts as though it's going to fire up, then I know when it doesn't, I have to floor it and hold it. After a few seconds of cranking it slowly comes to life. I get the feeling it's a float issue, but sharper minds than mine might have the answer! It doesn't always do this...even hot. But always seems to when people are watching. <G>
What should I try first? Thanks.

whacker
05-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Sounds like classic vapor lock. I'm not real up on the sixes, but there is supposed to be a heat shield between the fuel pump and the block. If you don't have that, there is a pattern floating around somewhere to make your own. I have also heard of insulation wrapped around the fuel line. Electric fuel pump is another solution. Just to be sure, check your spark plug wiring and your coil as well. If you say it feels like the float, then check the float also. It can be vapor lock even when it doesn't feel hot to you, especially with today's gas.

Roscomacaw
05-24-2006, 11:22 PM
It does sound like the heat soak of sitting hot is causing you vapor problems, Tom. Or maybe the fuel's boiling out of the hot carb and causing minor flooding - hence the "foot-to-the-floor" manuver to overcome it.[B)]

Today's gas being more volatile, as it is, can throw these older gasoline systems a curve they never knew of in 1957[}:)] Have YOU ever tried the gallon-of-diesel-to-a-fillup trick? Maybe that would help here![:I] Diesel's actualy a bit cheaper than regular here in the town where that 57 Champion was sold via Switzer & Jordan Studebaker. ;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

buddymander
05-25-2006, 04:01 AM
Jis wait til nobody's watchin.....

tomnoller
05-25-2006, 06:54 AM
<<Jis wait til nobody's watchin.....>>

LOL! Good one.
Thanks guys, vapor lock never occured to me. I have an electric fuel pump in-line that I use when it's been sitting for a week or two. Will let it rattle for a few seconds the next time & see if that rectumfies the problem. Sir Biggs you have the memory of an elephant!

Roscomacaw
05-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Temperament and size as well!:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS