PDA

View Full Version : 53 weather stripping?

dclewallen
05-24-2006, 04:42 PM
The fellow who is painting my 53 Starliner is wanting to remove, paint the doors and replace the weather stripping [the stuff at the bottom of the windows, inside and outside]. Are there any special tricks or helpful hints that I need to know before I jump into this? Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen

JDP
05-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Yes, wipe down the new, reproduction weatherstrip with enamel reducer before you use the WS cement. BTW, much easier to do with the doors off.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
Studebaker News Group
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
64 Daytona HT
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Black
63 R2 4 speed GT White
63 GT Hawk
63 Avanti
62 Daytona HT
53 Coupe

dclewallen
05-24-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm refering to the stripping at the bottom of the door glass, top of the door itself. Not sure what you call it. It seals the glass inside and outside? Sounds like your talking about the weather stripping that goes around the perimeter of the door. Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen

rockne10
05-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Referring to window channel and catwhiskers. Does your painter have experience with these or are you going to do the install?

The channel is flexible and can be preformed around the doorglass while it is out. There is a clip that holds both ends of the channel in place in the door. If yours are deteriorated or broken or get lost it is available. I usually apply adhesive to the door before installing the channel.

The bead on the cat whiskers should be flattened on the ends so it will fit between the channel bead and the door shell.

Either can be purchased precut to fit from our vendors or in bulk lengths of 8' from many restoration suppliers. If purchasing from outside restoration suppliers, be certain of heighth, width and thickness. There are a lot of variations.

rockne10
05-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Will you also be removing the wing vent windows and replacing their rubber seals?

If so, keep track of the many washers and the spring on the pivot and be sure to reassemble in proper order and lubricate it well while it's out. The channel on it is rigid and, if you replace it, you will need to rivet the door shell mounts precisely; it's worth the effort.

Then there's the whisker that seals the front edge of the door glass to the wing vent; also replaceable and available.

No time like the present.:D

dclewallen
05-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the reply. The guy whos doing my 53 has not done this before and neither have I. Hopefully it will turn out OK. Thanks again

Darryl C. Lewallen

rockne10
05-25-2006, 08:58 PM
The first time I did it, I had never done it before either. Careful observation on dissassembly and a little thought on reassembly will yield better than professional results.

And, I forgot to mention, the cat whiskers are installed with little clips, no glue; also available if lost or broken.

ralt12
05-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Where can I find replacements for the weatherstripping that is on the leading edge of the window glass and the portion where the glass emerges from the down position (on the door)?

'53 Commander

Roscomacaw
05-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Any good auto glass shop should have (or be able to get) the stuff that goes along the window slot. You'll need the appropriate clips to use when you remake these using the strip. Use the old pieces as a pattern for length and placement of the aforementioned clips. The glass shop should be able to get you the clips as well - just be sure to take an old one in as an example. In fact, take a whole old strip as an example. That strip comes in at least two different sizes.

The stuff along the front edge of the windows is available from Studebaker International. Probably from some other Stude vendors too.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

rockne10
05-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Studebaker International has all this, cut to length, as well as the clips.
This is one of the few things I buy in bulk lengths from J.C.Whitney. It requires additional fabrication time but the savings is worth my time. If your glass installer is doing the work, give them the Studebaker International catalog. They'll appreciate the help.

Roscomacaw
05-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Today's a milestone for me as I JUST finished the last of the vent window assemblies for the 58 wagon (FOUR vent windows![xx(]). And being me, I just HAD to do it exactly like Studebaker (or I suspect, a subcontractor) did them.[:0]
The solid window run, that's an integral part of the vent windows, CAN be relined on the cheap. You cut out the "felt" liner and glue in new strips of it. OF COURSE... this depends on said run still being solid all the way to the bottom. That's usually not the case. In fact, even on this "Califonia Car" Provincial wagon, the solid runs were rusty remnants at their lower ends. I would settle for nothing less than nice, new runs - drilled and riveted in place JUST like new. (Ask Dick Steinkamp. He saw this procedure in progress when he was here last time;))
What I did skimp on was new vent window glasses. These are JUST showing a hint of bubbling along the back edge, but are otherwise clear and clean. Same way with the moulded rubber vent window rubbers. They're available new but these were STILL pliable after almost 50 years and with a bit of steel wool polishing and a drenching in Armor All, they look and feel really nice.;)
The rear doors have a seperate, solid run - below the abbreviated piece that's integral to the rear vent window frame. These seperate pieces (brackets, if you will) have a short piece of the solid-backed run held into them with a couple of clips. I dug out the rotting run sections, POR-15'd the rusting brackets and installed fresh, new pieces of the solid-backed run. Now all these parts are ready to be stuffed back into the doors. Then I'll get to see how well all my handiwork has payed off with the rework AND the conversion to factory power windows. I's gonna be ONE HAPPY BOY, the first time I push up on a switch and a window glides up or down![:p]

All I've got left to fab is some new "Cat's Whisker" pieces and the doors will be complete! Imagine. 8-60 air conditioning as I cruise along in our funky fifty-eight. (that's EIGHT windows open, at 60MPH) Gonna be right breezy in there![8D]

NINE-60 if I lock the upper tailgate open!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

ralt12
07-13-2006, 08:54 AM
When installing new window glass, is there a preferred adhesive??

'53 Commander

studegary
07-13-2006, 04:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by ralt12

When installing new window glass, is there a preferred adhesive??

'53 Commander

none

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

ralt12
07-13-2006, 06:46 PM
None?? The vent windows and side glass are press-fit??

'53 Commander

rockne10
07-15-2006, 08:58 PM
The window gasket material is available in various thickness and was originally a pressed fit. Urethane window sealant can be substituted, requires cleanup and makes later dissassembly a real pita.

Brad
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

ralt12
07-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks. I'm in the process of installing new glass, and S.I. seems to have most of what I need for the project; I wasn't sure if additional adhesive was part of the program. I'm sure the rear quarters, which have a different type of gasket, (and are a true pita to change out) will be a different challenge.

'53 Commander